DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Loved seeing Stewart play. I own all of his stuff, including the Orchestralli DVD/album, so it was cool seeing him solo to this material. He plays with such energy--such a joy!

Tony Royster Jr. should call Gavin for a drum solo lesson. Tony's was dull, dull--which is how I usually find his playing. Gavin's solo was fantastic, creative, and fun by comparsion. Tony's just your typical gifted chops player. Yawn. He kind of reminds me of Freddy Adu in the soccer world: a whole lot of talent and hype surrounded him, and he basically has gone nowhere major with it.
I can honestly say I completely disagree with these statements...but its your opinion so its all good with me.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

SC is a great drummer but i was bored with his solo..I know i'm gonna catch flack but Gavin's & Tony's solo's were fun too hear & watch but SC solo kept me wanting more.

he should've composed a better solo..lol

Bonzolead
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Why did Letterman say "and that's it for drum solo week number two"? Where's Dennis?
It says he's on tonite so lets hope that DL had brain freeze
http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_s...eks_guests.php
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
SC is a great drummer but i was bored with his solo..I know i'm gonna catch flack but Gavin's & Tony's solo's were fun too hear & watch but SC solo kept me wanting more.

he should've composed a better solo..lol

Bonzolead
No flack from me...I completely agree!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think that playing a solo is a prerequisite to being considered a great or at least extremely good drummer.Stewart Copeland has a very distinct sytle , sound,and groove,which in a lot of ways is more difficult to achieve than just raw speed and chops.I liked his solo just fine.He just played Copeland.Great groove,tone for days,and hitting hard without choking his drums.The solo was just long enough to hold your interest,and make you realize just how distinct his playing really is.Nice job

Steve B
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have to say that I actually enjoyed SC's performance the best so far. The main reason for that being that he actually appeared to be enjoying himself and that to me makes any performance so much better. It's great to hear technically correct solos but I would much rather see someone who really appears to be loving what they are doing and having a blast at it. That's what came across to me with SC and it what I strive for with my drumming.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I have to say that I actually enjoyed SC's performance the best so far. The main reason for that being that he actually appeared to be enjoying himself and that to me makes any performance so much better. It's great to hear technically correct solos but I would much rather see someone who really appears to be loving what they are doing and having a blast at it. That's what came across to me with SC and it what I strive for with my drumming.
Good on you Mary, nicely put girl!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
It's great to hear technically correct solos but I would much rather see someone who really appears to be loving what they are doing and having a blast at it.
I'd say all of the three guys so far have displayed plenty of joy playing!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Pioneer Member

damn am I the only one that absolutely loved tony's playing ?? I always thought Tony had very musical AND well expressed solo....yeah hes chopalicious, but its still voiced well and its freaking impressive!!!

i honestly get kinda bored with solos where the majority of the time they loose groove and start just making sparatic noises...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone notice that SC's break was exactly 32 bars? I think his 4-bar countoff at the end of the break wasn't really necessary to bring the band back, and was done only for dramatic effect.
They're all playing to a click, aren't they? That would make sense for TV time, and I'm sure I saw someone adjusting their in-ears in a 'where's the click?' sort of way.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
who criticized DW as such?? I just read comments (and wrote one myself) about his drums
not sounding good. Didn't mention the brand, let alone make them responsible.
Just a general statement - I have seen in other places people making remarks on hi ssound is all....and it tends to be the Yammy guys.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Just a general statement - I have seen in other places people making remarks on hi ssound is all....and it tends to be the Yammy guys.
Not this Yammy guy. I actually liked Tony's drum sound. Especially that floor tom. I have a pretty good surround sound system, though. With a sub woofer you get the full spectrum of sound. I thought they sounded great.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Good on you Mary, nicely put girl!
WOW! I wish you were that nice to me after some of my comments. :)
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee View Post
damn am I the only one that absolutely loved tony's playing ?? I always thought Tony had very musical AND well expressed solo....yeah hes chopalicious, but its still voiced well and its freaking impressive!!!

i honestly get kinda bored with solos where the majority of the time they loose groove and start just making sparatic noises...
No. I said I liked him the best. :)
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

I thought Tony was great. He played a homage to the past while showing what keeps him employed today.

Gavin (obviously) has the best chops, but I sort of felt like he got lost in the middle, just blowing chops, given how musical his solo was the start and end.

Copeland was fun. Like Mary said, he seemed to be enjoying himself. We all know he's not a fan of solos, so just to see him take one was fun.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

In Copeland's honor, I just bought the Orchestralli CD/DVD set today. I totally forgot how much I enjoyed that Copeland post-Police stuff. That just put a big smile on my face.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

I loved Copeland's solo, his energy was so infectious!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
I loved Copeland's solo, his energy was so infectious!
Just ask Sting how much he likes his infectious energy. :(
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Just ask Sting how much he likes his infectious energy. :(
I don't think Sting's beef with SC had much to do with how SC played as much as it was about musical direction and personality conflicts. I know Sting does yoga and all that, but I still think SC could take him :D
Old 08-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

I just checked out Copeland's solo. Very nice. For different reasons, I've enjoyed all 3 solos this week.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 AM

Each solo so far has been an awesome showcase of what can be done on the drums, and the variety of personality that can be expressed. I've been impressed with each one and for different reasons, but each performer brought character to their performance.

Tony of course is bordering on supernatural, physically. He had this natural/trained deep sense of his place in the band, and then when he soloed it was like a completely effortless expression of ego, in a good sense, a great showcase of ability. And yes, his ride tone was harsh.

Gavin's genius cannot be denied, that guy gives me tingly butterfly shiver type sensations, and I mean that as a straight guy. His playing makes me appreciate the things that a true artist can do with this palette called a drum set. Amazing compositional sense, and feel for different tones, rhythms, for spaces, and the effects they have on each other. Though I agree, the four minute thing was not the best place for him to show what makes him great.

Copeland of course has great energy and obviously loves doing what he does and loves his instrument in a band context. He's a natural drummer, and seems to really enjoy the role drums play creating music. Though he might not be the fastest around, especially compared to today's drummers, he has a great idea of rhythm. I don't know if it's from the reggae thing or if he studied African drums or something, but I love the way he plays in a zone between triple and duple based rhythms and uses that interplay to express the music.

So yeah, that's what I thought.....Gavin's my favorite.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
In Copeland's honor, I just bought the Orchestralli CD/DVD set today. I totally forgot how much I enjoyed that Copeland post-Police stuff. That just put a big smile on my face.
Woo hoo, Bo! Very cool! The Orchestralli CD/DVD is great. I bought years ago, when it first came, from Italy (where it was first available); it has great footage.

Have you heard Copeland's funny Klark Kent stuff, which he wrote and recorded during 1980-ish? He did Klark Kent in part because Sting wouldn't accept much of Stewart's stuff.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I don't think Sting's beef with SC had much to do with how SC played as much as it was about musical direction and personality conflicts. I know Sting does yoga and all that, but I still think SC could take him :D
To quote Sting, "Stewart and I are very similar characters. We both fight tooth and nail for what we want, so there's obviously a lot of conflict there." Mike's right: Sting and Stewart both have strong personalities, and Sting was notoriously myopic when it came to band contributions, arrangements, etc. He used to refuse to play or sing certain Police material, which is why Stewart sings "Mother" or why Andy Summers's "Someone to Talk to" became an obscure b-side, etc.

And to quote Stewart, "Sting can be very abusive and ride roughshod over people's sensibilities. I'm immune because I have no sensibilities." That's one of my favorite all-time quotations. Ha!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
To quote Sting, "Stewart and I are very similar characters. We both fight tooth and nail for what we want, so there's obviously a lot of conflict there." Mike's right: Sting and Stewart both have strong personalities, and Sting was notoriously myopic when it came to band contributions, arrangements, etc. He used to refuse to play or sing certain Police material, which is why Stewart sings "Mother" or why Andy Summers's "Someone to Talk to" became an obscure b-side, etc.

And to quote Stewart, "Sting can be very abusive and ride roughshod over people's sensibilities. I'm immune because I have no sensibilities." That's one of my favorite all-time quotations. Ha!
Sting has publically stated that the Police was nothing more than a vehicle for him to get to eventually do what he wanted to do musically.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Woo hoo, Bo! Very cool! The Orchestralli CD/DVD is great. I bought years ago, when it first came, from Italy (where it was first available); it has great footage.

Have you heard Copeland's funny Klark Kent stuff, which he wrote and recorded during 1980-ish? He did Klark Kent in part because Sting wouldn't accept much of Stewart's stuff.
I've been a huge fan since the early days of the Police. I had the Klark Kent EP on vinyl and later when he did a compilation of stuff on CD. I never saw the Rhythmatist movie, though, but I had the album. He made it cool for me to play just five drums when everyone at the time was going slightly bigger (and this was obviously before the neo-punk-90s when everyone went back to four). I still listen to the Klark Kent stuff and it lives in my car!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 AM

Am I the only one disappointed with Dennis Chambers solo?

They should have definitely got Stewart to close the week...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post

In a funny way, yes I agree with you. Dennis is perhaps one of the few drummers who can tell a story in a pure drum solo but he decided to do Cissy Strut instead.

Though he grooved it like a monster, I got the feeling the song held him back. This was Dennis in 2nd gear to me.

My favs though both weeks have been Roy Haynes and Gavin Harrison.

PS- happy to note that a primetime TV was not a good enough reason to quit chewing gum. Was that a huge ride cymbal or what?

Last edited by aydee; 08-26-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Was that a huge ride cymbal or what?
22" .
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post

Hey I haven't seen it yet. It's only 11:30-ish here on the West Coast. Don't blow it for me!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
WOW! I wish you were that nice to me after some of my comments. :)
I'm always nice to you, no boulder envy whatsoever. : ) : )
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Founder Drummerworld

So Dennis Chambers Video is here on Drummerworld:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...letterman.html

Enjoy...

I think all drummers did a huge great job. Even for them, comfortable to be in the spotlight, it was a tough one in a very special environment. I just enjoy and don't compare. Dennis is Dennis - Gavin is Gavin - so phantastic friendly monsters and good friends.....and they gave the public so much - hopefully 10000 new drummers in some years - as Ringo did with the Beatles-Ed Sullivan or also Buddy Rich-Tonight Show-Johnny Carson on various occasions.

Long live the Live Drummers!

Bernhard
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post

Long live the Live Drummers!

Bernhard
Yeah, great job all round. Just as I was comparing them (in fun), I forgot about the big picture. Right on Bernhard!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Geez, at first I was wondering if Dennis C was morphing into Pretty Purdie until he cut loose. Great playing. Very enjoyable grooving.

They're all fabulous players and I enjoyed all four spots. Stewart C's spot is the one I'm revisiting for listening pleasure.

Hope Letterman does a third program. Love to see Kirk Covington do a spot next time - and to see Letterman's reaction to KC throwing out the big guns. I reckon he'dgo into shock :)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Never been a big fan of Chambers' solos, so I wasn't expecting much there for me. He's a brilliant drummer, but I've always liked him because of his grooves, not his solos.

The summary for me this week:
  • Tony Royster Jr: Blistering speed and excellent gospel chops, but a bit lifeless and dull. He's got some mad skills though, and great energy and showmanship too.
  • Gavin Harrison: My favourite across both weeks. Amazing chops and precision, and a style of his own. He did an excellent job showcasing what he's about.
  • Stewart Copeland: Good stuff, but a bit on the random side for me. Seemed a bit like he was flailing around, never really going anywhere special with it.
  • Dennis Chambers: Amazing grooves, but his blistering single stroke runs bore me. Like others have said, he may also have been hindered by his song choice.

All that being said: Bravo Dave for putting on the drum solo weeks, and bravo to all who have played so far. I'm not big on drum solos in general, but I've been entertained every time.

Here's my personal suggestion for drum solo week #3:
- Simon Phillips
- Vinnie Colaiuta
- Chad Szeliga
- Nate Morton

:-)

Last edited by Naigewron; 08-26-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Consultant

Watching Dennis play always brings a smile to my face. He's such a badass. Yet ask him to explain what he does and he's like " I just do it".

One of the most gifted players on the planet in terms of natural playing ability. He's the incredible player who really can't teach. But who cares?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post

- Simon Phillips
- Vinnie Colaiuta
- Chad Szeliga
- Nate Morton

..'n mine:

Paco Sery-

Vinnie Colauita-

Matt Abts-

Jack Black/ or Brian Blade/ or Eric Harland

Chris Adler

I think these guys would have mass appeal as drummers..

Last edited by aydee; 08-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Never been a big fan of Chambers' solos, so I wasn't expecting much there for me. He's a brilliant drummer, but I've always liked him because of his grooves, not his solos.

The summary for me this week:
  • Tony Royster Jr: Blistering speed and excellent gospel chops, but a bit lifeless and dull. He's got some mad skills though, and great energy and showmanship too.
  • Gavin Harrison: My favourite across both weeks. Amazing chops and precision, and a style of his own. He did an excellent job showcasing what he's about.
  • Stweart Copeland: Good stuff, but a bit on the random side for me. Seemed a bit like he was flailing around, never really going anywhere special with it.
  • Dennis Chambers: Amazing grooves, but his blistering single stroke runs bore me. Like others have said, he may also have been hindered by his song choice.

All that being said: Bravo Dave for putting on the drum solo weeks, and bravo to all who have played so far. I'm not big on drum solos in general, but I've been entertained every time.

- Simon Phillips
- Vinnie Colaiuta
- Chad Szeliga
- Nate Morton

Agree with everything you said. Except for your suggestion, LOL. Mine would be:

-Vinnie Colaiuta
-Virgil Donati
-Keith Carlock
-Gary Novak
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
..'n mine:

Paco Sery-

Vinnie Colauita-

Matt Abts- Rock Blues

Jack Black/ or Brian Blade/ or Eric Harland

Chris Adler

I think these guys would have mass appeal as drummers..

Great suggestions Abe, but you missed out Simon Phillips. How can that be?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Great suggestions Abe, but you missed out Simon Phillips. How can that be?
Missed out Susie Ibarra to. That I would adore.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Whoa, Dennis! That was a lot of fun. Dennis did it all. His chops are in a different league. But I liked the choice of song because a) it grooved ridiculously and b) Dennis was able to trace the melody and rhythm of the tune at times during his solo.

That was easily my favorite solo of the week. And no, I don't think that was even close to the best of Dennis Chambers. But he's so good it was still great for me.