DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Default What do you think about triggers?

I have been looking into triggers a lot lately and I'm thinking about using them myself. When I was in the studio this past month my producer threw a trigger on my snare drum using some program that randomizes the type of hit. I have to say the end result sounded great and made me question my previous negativity towards them. I know theres a lot of drummers out there that swear by triggers and a lot of drummers that are extremely opposed to them. What do you guys think about triggers? Personally, I believe that music always has been and always will be a live experience and it doesn't matter what musicians do in the studio as long as they can play a great live show. Lemme know what you think!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: What do you think about triggers?

Triggers are a useful tool and as with all tools nothing matters except how you use it.

Using in the studio like that is not what I would personally do. I record drums every now and then and can understand the argument for using one. If you're short on time, it helps you find a sound that you want more quickly and easily - I have no inherent problem with that. You can use them as separate tracks and mix them in or you can go totally nuts and trigger everything. My only problem would be doing it for the sake of it, with no rhyme nor reason.

I believe that everything in the studio should be done for a reason and if you can say why you want to do it and it is open for discussion, then by all means, do it. And you'll probably have success. Doing it with no reason just things harder, more complicated (sometimes) and reduces the focus of the task just because you have a new toy to play with.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM

I used to use triggers back some 6 years ago. We were playing in a big place back then and even though I had mics for all my drums, our "sound" man could never set them right. The rest of the band talked me into buying triggers and a "brain".

So I bought a DM5 and a set of dDrum triggers...the kind that clamp to the rim and have XLR outputs. Used them for about a year then packed them away. While they may be useful in some situations, I always preferred the sound a miked kit. There is a learning curve is setting the sensitivity, gain...etc....and I usually had problems with double triggering. Not fun in a gig.

I have got everything out, set it up, and then throw on a set of headphones and play with bath towels draped over the batter heads. Some of the kit sounds in the DM5 are kinda neat. But I won't use them out on a gig again.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ht=rant&page=2

Here's an old thread on the matter, some of the old timers get very angry about using triggers which they call "cheating".

Personally I see a use for it in certain styles. I remember reading about a metal drummer (whose name eludes me at the moment) who used them because he wanted his drums to sound like a machine. I just love that concept.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

I think that if I'm going to be taking the time and trouble to tune up my kit just how I like it, then when I go to record them, I want to hear them - not something triggered.

It's funny as we debate the merits of maple, birch, hybrid shells, staves, steambents, walnut rerings (or rerings in general), shell thicknesses, number of plies, tom/kick sizes/depths, snare materials AND ALL THE MONEY WE SPEND ON THAT STUFF.... that at the end of the day we're just going to slap some triggers on there seems utterly preposterous to me!

Don't get me wrong, I get their practical advantages and I know people that use them. But for me, I don't record that often - maybe once a year with whatever band I happen to be in - so when I do record, I want to hear what it was that I spent all that hard earned money on and get some feedback on my tuning abilities. If I was a session guy and was in the studio all the time, I probably wouldn't care so much. I would love to sample Liberty DeVito's snare from 52nd street and use that for everything, Neil Peart's larger toms from Moving Pictures, and who knows how many other great sounds that have come come down the pike since the invention of the microphone.

Then again, I wouldn't mind it if generations saw fit to sample my sounds... (ain't never gonna happen, but a guy can dream!)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ht=rant&page=2

Here's an old thread on the matter, some of the old timers get very angry about using triggers which they call "cheating".

Ah, so that's why my rant surfaced from the depths. But Louis, nooooooo, my thread wasn't a rant against triggers, it was a rant about using an acoustic kick drum as a stage prop when using triggers! Whole different vibe man, but you're right, I turned 50 recently, so I am an old timer. Anyhow, I have this song in my head right now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Triggers homognize the sound. As a production trick, it can be handy. A nice consistent sound at a consistent level regardless of what the drummer does. The goal of many recording engineers and producers.

As a player, I hate anything that takes tone production out of my hands. The ability to individually create the sound and character of any particular musical event. But I'm not a session player. I've had my years of playing live, and to me the ability to create the tone of a note helps with connection to the audience, but I do recognize that session work is a different ball game. You are just one voice in the orchestra and arrangements are easier to play with if everything is flat and consistent. Then the producer can fool with the knobs and make it into what they want.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

For some situations they can be helpful. Especially recording when you don't have enough mics to go around, or need different sounds quickly.

My issue with triggers and pads, is no matter how helpful they are, there is always a downside: double triggering, miss triggers, or simply failing for no apparent reason. Cables go bad, triggers give out, and over time that can add up in time, money and frustration.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Most people I've seen at low-level gigs are using them as a crutch because they can't play powerful strokes on the bass drum. Also, I have never seen anyone use them with decent samples at typical gigs I play at, they are invariable awful-sounding clicky bass drums and Eastenders toms. I'm yet to encounter someone who triggers their snare, but I know a lot of people do.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGdrummer View Post
Personally, I believe that music always has been and always will be a live experience and it doesn't matter what musicians do in the studio as long as they can play a great live show.
Not to hijack the thread, but this is an important point, and what separates musicians from those who simply produce music. I suppose there's nothing wrong with being a studio band and selling some tracks, but these days when full albums generally aren't selling and revenues are down, performing live tends to be where the money is. Bands that can't pull it off (or rely too much on tracks to augment their sound) will have a short shelf-life.

Back to triggers, I don't use them, but I'm not averse to sound replacement where applicable on recordings.

Bermuda
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

A tool that has its place but I'm an old fart who is not interested in this vein of technology. Ringo, Charlie, Buddy, Elvin, Bonzo and many others didn't need triggers yet got that sound they are famous for. I appreciate that they have their place, but not on my kit.

GJS
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herosshamy View Post
This is a very willing victim, the many types of music that do not work so well. Ability to create an individual sound and character of each musical event. Your average Club drummer, and has no benefits, and that is where the challenges come on.
Hmmmm...confusing and bizarre language.... link to an ad at the bottom

SPAM ALERT!

Jim Martin Music