DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 AM
thatguykalem

Default Re: Jumping/Standing on the bass drum

I love on-stage antics. For me, there's nothing more exciting and fun than to see the crowd getting excited about the stuff I'm doing on the stage.

Mucking around and having fun on stage is a given for me. I don't necessarily do it to entertain the crowd. Most of the time, I do it because it's in my nature to be a bit insane, especially when drumming.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Lots of good, varying replies here, but my gear is pretty expensive---like most of yours, it's pro gear---and I do not want anybody standing/jumping off my bass drum. Stand on my bass= drumstick on the back of your head. Positively...swat 'em like flies!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipJohns View Post
Come on everyone..! Keith Moon didn't play good music so he had to trash his drums..? That is the consensus I am hearing here..!

When did everyone here start playing drums? Here is me back in 1983... My great Flaming Drumsticks. People loved it.. Would I do this today. I don't think so.

When you were young wasn't music about acting like a rock star? Sure not all the time, but, back then you didn't have to worry about not being able to go to work the next day because you hurt yourself at a gig!

Don't get me wrong, I never would have let anyone jump off of my bass drum. That is another issue..

Personally I prefer to hear great music from a live band, However, I want to be entertained as well... Stage presence is a must.

Wild stuff, Chip! I can imagine audiences getting a buzz from that but, as a drummer, I'm wondering about the heads ...
Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hey guys,

The guys in my band have been chatting on how to improve the stage show of our gigs. Along with all the other suggestions of banter between songs, crowd participation etc. I suggested that if the singer or any other member would like to jump off my kick then go ahead.

Has anyone got any suggestions for some precautions to prevent damage? I'm thinking of lowering the spurs so the hoop touches the stage. Or created a little bracket for the bass drum to rest on, to spread the weight across more of the drum.
Yeah I used to go off it at my singer for doing this as he would never warn me or even ask if he could! Not only can it cause damage but it can make your playing really difficult it's not so much the jump on but the jump off that can move the bass drum or put you at a weird angle especially if you are a double pedal player, your slave pedal might fall on one side if the bass drum moves enough. You really might want to reconsider not allowing them to do this, there is plenty more for them to jump off, amps etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I've got an idea that I think would be cool. How about entertaining them with good music. There seems to be a shortage of it these days. Just a thought.
You can say that, but the truth is sometimes no matter how well you play, if someone thinks watching your band is like watching paint dry, they will tire and become bored a lot quicker. A little stage presence goes a long way in making the music sound and feel better for you and the audience. Some antics go too far but the idea of some stage presence to add entertainment value should not be ruled out.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:01 PM

I guess one alternative is just stand on the BASS ...

These are both good friends of mine Slick Joe Fick and Bradley Dean Birkedahl both alumni of the band "The Dempseys"
The drummer in the band was the calm one and one of the most badd-azz drummers I have ever heard Ron Perrone jr his picture
is in a full poster size framed display on the front wall of the Memphis Drum Shop, right up there with a lot of other great drummers.

Last edited by Kenny Allyn; 05-18-2010 at 07:29 PM.