DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Killer paying New Years gig

Hey Crew,

As of 37 minutes ago, it's been a one year anniversary for my being on Drummerworld--WOOHOO!

To top that off, my rock band Loose Change just booked a New Years gig for $2500.00- thats $500 each, CASH, + food and brewskies.
The gig is about a 1-1/2 hr drive from my home, but for that kinda money a cheap motel will easily fit in the budget, or I'll just drive my motorhome to the gig, and crash out in it for the night, so as to avoid all the drunk drivers and cops.

I figured out that the little "broken pinkie" isn't going to be a problem in any way--it's healed up enough for me, so the hell with it!

Life sure is good sometimes!

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Killer paying New Years gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

As of 37 minutes ago, it's been a one year anniversary for my being on Drummerworld--WOOHOO!

To top that off, my rock band Loose Change just booked a New Years gig for $2500.00- thats $500 each, CASH, + food and brewskies.
The gig is about a 1-1/2 hr drive from my home, but for that kinda money a cheap motel will easily fit in the budget, or I'll just drive my motorhome to the gig, and crash out in it for the night, so as to avoid all the drunk drivers and cops.

I figured out that the little "broken pinkie" isn't going to be a problem in any way--it's healed up enough for me, so the hell with it!

Cheers,
C. P.
Sounds awesome that, my type of gig and that is a huge pay off! Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Do you need a support act?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Good stuff. A couple of months ago, the sax player in my band got us a gig about the same distance from home. It was for a group of people from all around Australia got together at a wine cellar in a small country town. They wanted a decent blues band to jam with for 3 hours. We got $300 each, plus a 100 for a fairly basic PA. The 4 of us drove up in 2 company supplied vehicles as well. The people loved it so much, they booked us again for next year. Gotta love those sorta gigs.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Last New Years my band got paid $4,000 that night, and then the next day we got an extra $2,000, because of the huge bar business. I thought "wow this is great", but the next week the bass player quit and then the keyboard player quit, and not even a year later we're doing our final gig in November, and not even playing New Years. Now I'm thinking "what the hell hapenned?" Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Do you need a support act?
If not - do you need a roadie (sorry - drum tech)?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:03 AM

Awesome! I haven't played a new years gig in 5 yrs. Had some pretty good pay days years ago playing Palm Beach.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 AM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

Cheers,
C. P.
Good work. So funny, when I took lessons with Donati he was playing for a band called Loose Change. That was an instrumental fusion outfit.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 AM

Location: Conviently located between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, MI , Michigan

Congrats on both.

I'm happy when I make gas money! :)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moktie View Post
Congrats on both.

I'm happy when I make gas money! :)
My thoughts exactly. Happy new year!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Wow, I am happy just get the free drinks and food. Usually our band "profit" goes to our sound guy.
Gibraltar
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

This year new years is a gold mine. The calender lines up pretty perfectly.

New years eve is a thursday, new years day friday, then sat, sun.

Basically a 4 day weekend. It's going to be a huge n.y.e. at any bar/club.

I'm stoked about my new years gig this year. Huge Outdoor festival (8,000+ capacity) in florida, donovan frankenwriter headling, I don't even have to play during the countdown. (I hate playing new years gigs, nothing lonlier than being behind a kit watching people make out and playing auld lange syne)

We are going to have to drive 12 hours to the gig, but we have stuff lined up for thursday, friday, and saturday, should be a big payday.

If your in a band playing on new years you should at least charge double what you normally get. Tons of places would love to have a live band for new years. The gig is usually tame too, and people actually tap out early on nye and end up going home at midnight. Same thing with valentines gigs. Rarely will a crowd make it till 2 a.m.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 AM

Hey Crew,

John E- man, that's HUGE bucks for a gig- you guys must have been a smokin' band! Sorry to hear about the band breaking up.

Cnw- wish I could offer you a job, but no go, brother!

To all- I hope everyone makes better money on gigs that some of you have been getting---seems sometimes like people that hire bands don't even care about paying "minimum wage", as required by LAW! (I wonder if bands are somehow 'exempt' from that!?!?!)

Hey McBike-- I agree, but there's always "break time" when you can mingle with the audience! Maybe even get a NYE kiss from a hot babe!

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Hey no minimum wage around here. Some of the clubs would like you to play for the door, or the tip jug. I played a one nighter a few years back, for the door, and some how the stars were aligned and we took over a grand at the door. When the manager found out what the take was, he wanted a cut, because he never payed more than 600.00 for a band.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM

John E- man, that's HUGE bucks for a gig- you guys must have been a smokin' band! Sorry to hear about the band breaking up.

Thanks, it was more a function of supply and demand than how good the band was, however.

It's depressing to hear how hard it is to get good paying gigs these days. I guess I'm pretty fortunate to still be making decent money.