DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 AM
drumr_102's Avatar
drumr_102 drumr_102 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 273
Default Foam or blankets?

My band built a 16' by 16' room to practice in out of wood and need to do something about the acoustics...

What's the cheapest way of doing this? I've seen people use uhaul blankets and also egg crate foam and regular foam.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,038
Default Re: Foam or blankets?

Carpet works great.

Go to all your local carpet stores and check out their dumpsters.

Use only the new carpeting and use sturdy gloves to grab the carpeting.

There are sharp staples in there, and who knows what else. :/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foam or blankets?

For more control of the indoor acoustics, blankets will give you better results than regular foam or egg cartons. Depending on what's in the room, you'll need something to control the slap echo.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,877
Default Re: Foam or blankets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr_102 View Post
My band built a 16' by 16' room to practice in out of wood and need to do something about the acoustics...

What's the cheapest way of doing this? I've seen people use uhaul blankets and also egg crate foam and regular foam.

Thanks!
Is this a structurally sound room? I mean, it's not just nailed together plywood sheets, yes?
I'm picturing Steve Martin's house in The Jerk....

I would think if it was a room built to code, it would essentially be double-walled with insulation between the sheets?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
drumr_102's Avatar
drumr_102 drumr_102 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 273
Default Re: Foam or blankets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Carpet works great.

Go to all your local carpet stores and check out their dumpsters.

Use only the new carpeting and use sturdy gloves to grab the carpeting.

There are sharp staples in there, and who knows what else. :/
Awesome idea. Thanks! We went and got some tonight and are piling on as much stuff as we can find
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
drumr_102's Avatar
drumr_102 drumr_102 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 273
Default Re: Foam or blankets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Is this a structurally sound room? I mean, it's not just nailed together plywood sheets, yes?
I'm picturing Steve Martin's house in The Jerk....

I would think if it was a room built to code, it would essentially be double-walled with insulation between the sheets?
It's not to code at all...It's plywood and 2x4s.

It's sole purpose is to hold "soundproofing" materials so the neighbors can't complain and to improve the acoustics for us.

We're not even looking to make it pretty really, just functional.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com