DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

I'm sure a lot of y'all have watched Buddy Rich videos. He, and other players in his time tend to hit the bottom part of their cymbal and even hi-hat when they really into the solos I guess you could say. Any reason for that? I kind of tried doing it, but it seems to be an awkward angle to do that. Any info on this or anything for a reason of doing that? Thanks.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
DrummerDavid's Avatar
DrummerDavid DrummerDavid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 164
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

I think its just to get different sounds and also its a little showmanship?

I am just guessing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,082
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

It's all about showmanship.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,247
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

I agree, I think he does it because he's trying to look cool.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
SEVNT7's Avatar
SEVNT7 SEVNT7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Creek CA.
Posts: 240
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Buddy does not have to TRY to look cool. Yes I agree w/ Wave. But it's also fun. What's wrong w/ having fun while you play.
__________________
"Coos, many times before." http://uk.youtube.com/user/SEVNT7 http://www.facebook.com/tmorandrums1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

You can use this technique very effectively to get multiple quick hits on one cymbal (top and bottom). There's another, older thread about this where some of us who use the technique talk about it.
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
sticky.widget's Avatar
sticky.widget sticky.widget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 109
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

I saw a guy play years ago in a rock band who as a break would come up almost all in one motion, give a crash cymbal kind of like a glancing blow from the bottom with his right hand, and then almost immediately choke it with his left before it ever really opened up, while accenting with the kick as it choked.

Ended up sounding like....whooooooosh/THUMP. A Killer accent that I've never quite been able to replicate, but he had to learn it somewhere. Been hunting for a vid of it but haven't had any luck.....if somebody knows what I'm talking about and has seen one, point me there!

Cheers!
__________________
...My Other Throne is a Harley Heritage Classic
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
You can use this technique very effectively to get multiple quick hits on one cymbal (top and bottom). There's another, older thread about this where some of us who use the technique talk about it.

Really? It would seem that hitting the cymbal at the same time, opposite directions, would ruin the sound. It would just clash together maybe. When I tried it atleast it did. But I will look for that thread. Thanks y'all for the replies.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

this cymbal thing, the stick click, and the one handed roll were things on which that no one really has figured out Buddy's technique. I can sort of do the stick trick, which makes for a great addition to any solo. However, his trick with the cymbals has confused me as well. It's all about the height and angle you get those cymbals and timing. You have to make sure that the upstroke corresponds with the angle the cymbal will be at as it recovers from the downstroke, otherwise it does sort of cancel the sound. The cymbals have to be swinging free and also cannot be too angled. I wish I could do his crossovers on the toms as well as the ever amazing hi-hat thing though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer girl09 View Post
Really? It would seem that hitting the cymbal at the same time, opposite directions, would ruin the sound. It would just clash together maybe. When I tried it atleast it did. But I will look for that thread. Thanks y'all for the replies.
Yeah, you have to time it right. One thing that I have used on occasion is that I will stack an inverted splash on top of a crash (like a 10" on top of a 15"), and then use the technique to hit the bottom of the crash, the top of the splash (since it's inverted), then come back down and hit the bottom of the splash and the top of the crash. You can get four quick 16th note crashes this way if you do it right.
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
SEVNT7's Avatar
SEVNT7 SEVNT7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Creek CA.
Posts: 240
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
this cymbal thing, the stick click, and the one handed roll were things on which that no one really has figured out Buddy's technique. I can sort of do the stick trick, which makes for a great addition to any solo. However, his trick with the cymbals has confused me as well. It's all about the height and angle you get those cymbals and timing. You have to make sure that the upstroke corresponds with the angle the cymbal will be at as it recovers from the downstroke, otherwise it does sort of cancel the sound. The cymbals have to be swinging free and also cannot be too angled. I wish I could do his crossovers on the toms as well as the ever amazing hi-hat thing though.
Here are some examples. I hope they help (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZhwNcuREQ)
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCBur3PS24) Later..T
__________________
"Coos, many times before." http://uk.youtube.com/user/SEVNT7 http://www.facebook.com/tmorandrums1
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Here's a little something i'll share with you guys. Play very close attention to all of the angles on buddy's kit, the snare-tom angle and the angle of his cymbals. That's how he did some of the amazing crossover stuff. His snare and rack tom are tilted inward toward each other, his cymbals are usually all on a flat plane, parallel to the ground. If you want to play like buddy, i'd emulate his setup exactly, and use the same trad grip. Try seeing the kit through his eyes. There's no way i could do some of his crossovers using my matched grip and my radically differently angled kit, i'm not even going to try it =P
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 PM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Yeah, you have to time it right. One thing that I have used on occasion is that I will stack an inverted splash on top of a crash (like a 10" on top of a 15"), and then use the technique to hit the bottom of the crash, the top of the splash (since it's inverted), then come back down and hit the bottom of the splash and the top of the crash. You can get four quick 16th note crashes this way if you do it right.

Kinda off topic, but do you have to have some thing extra to have the splash upside down with the crash? I always wondered how you are supposed to do that. Then you mentioned it. But I do get what you are saying. Good idea, but I don't have a splash.





Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Here's a little something i'll share with you guys. Play very close attention to all of the angles on buddy's kit, the snare-tom angle and the angle of his cymbals. That's how he did some of the amazing crossover stuff. His snare and rack tom are tilted inward toward each other, his cymbals are usually all on a flat plane, parallel to the ground. If you want to play like buddy, i'd emulate his setup exactly, and use the same trad grip. Try seeing the kit through his eyes. There's no way i could do some of his crossovers using my matched grip and my radically differently angled kit, i'm not even going to try it =P

You have a point. The angle of the cymbals, I thought maybe that was the old school way of doing it. Gene Krupa had the same type of angle I think.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,082
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer girl09 View Post
Kinda off topic, but do you have to have some thing extra to have the splash upside down with the crash?
Just an additional felt circle between the cymbals.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 AM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Just an additional felt circle between the cymbals.


Well that's really handy. Nothing to bother with! Thanks Wavelength.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Ekim Ekim is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA, Planet Earth
Posts: 681
Default Re: Hitting the cymbals on the bottom?

The first time I saw this technique it was Dennis Chambers in clinic. I was stunned. Not only that he did something that cool, but how smooth it was. It was quick but fluid and just too cool for words.

Of course, that pretty much describes everything Dennis Chambers does.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com