DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:46 AM

Default How do I position each of the drums in the kit?

I feel awkward playing my drum set, not sure if I have them positioned correctly. See the picture below:

https://imgur.com/a/Gah7AAJ

At the guitar center, they seem to have their drum sets positioned perfectly. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong here.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How do I position each of the drums in the kit?

You actually haven't done too badly from the looks of it. But the whole thing is supposed to be an ergonomic construct, so that you can reach everything with minimal effort, and play it as it's meant to be played without causing yourself or the instrument damage.

I'm going to post a link here in a moment, but you want to start with a comfortable seating position that allows you to shift balance between your bum and each of your feet as needed to play the pedals. For some folks that's low and for others it's high. Let your feet fall naturally where they feel comfortable, not bent underneath you too much nor stretched out too far. That's where your pedals should be.

The snare should then be in between your legs at a height and angle so that if you put your elbows at your side, your sticks end up roughly in the middle of the drum.

The rest of the set follows accordingly, with the key concept being that everything feels comfortable to play.

I can see in your picture that you should probably bring the floor tom in a lot closer to the kick drum, and possibly scoot your hi-hat out a bit so that your knee isn't bent too much. Finally, consider that your left (crash) cymbal does not need to be tilted towards you at that angle, as most crashing is done on the edge and shoulder of the cymbal.

Drumeo video on ergonomic setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWOAhOPHRdE
Drum! article on ergonomic setup: http://drummagazine.com/how-to-set-u...nd-efficiency/
Old 04-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen far worse.

The glaring one is your floor tom. It looks like it's in the next post code. Bring it over closer to your right leg.

Your cymbals also look like they could be crowding you a little bit. Try them slightly lower and a little flatter. See how that feels.

The mounted tom angles are possibly a little steep, but they're not outrageous. If it's comfortable for you, leave them be. If they feel a little uncomfortable, then try them a little lower and flatter as well.

Apart from the floor tom, the rest is just a matter of slightly tweaking things here and there until you get comfortable. Start by positioning your bass drum, snare and hi hat. Then work everything else around that.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:22 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Floor tom as mentioned. Get it closer. cymbals look a little too steep for my liking as do the tom angles. But if you can play without issue, go for it.

Go here for no-no's:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ghlight=angles
Old 04-06-2019, 01:27 AM

I see. Yeah I feel like I'm slightly facing sideways to the left when I should be centered. Found it hard to use the floor toms this way as it felt too far right while at the same time I'm faced too far sideways to the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've seen far worse.

The glaring one is your floor tom. It looks like it's in the next post code. Bring it over closer to your right leg.

Your cymbals also look like they could be crowding you a little bit. Try them slightly lower and a little flatter. See how that feels.

The mounted tom angles are possibly a little steep, but they're not outrageous. If it's comfortable for you, leave them be. If they feel a little uncomfortable, then try them a little lower and flatter as well.

Apart from the floor tom, the rest is just a matter of slightly tweaking things here and there until you get comfortable. Start by positioning your bass drum, snare and hi hat. Then work everything else around that.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

You may want to start from scratch with how you sit, then build from there.
The parts of the kit will be built around you from that point...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNkKgsZVjCQ
Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Do be concerned with not facing the "front." There are no rules about where you drums and cymbals should be. The advice above is quite good. Peace and goodwill.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

To your comfort.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents.

Try the snare more centered, move the floor tom closer and flatten out the crashes
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Ok. I felt like the bass pedal would be in the way if I centered the snare since the bass drum pedal (and bass drum) are centered, but I'll adjust (I'm a bit psychological).

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
My 2 cents.

Try the snare more centered, move the floor tom closer and flatten out the crashes
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Hey beeter.......it's a very daunting task to get your kit set up to be ergonomic, comfortable etc.

Everyone goes through it and even seasoned professionals still continually change their set up as they evolve musically.

There are so many factors involved such as your height, style of music and your natural gait when you sit, stand walk etc.

There's some absolutely fantastic resources available online that can steer you in the right direction.

YouTube has some very detailed and clear hints on your set-up.

The issue is we are ALL different with different sounds required for our playing.

The set-up that you have shown us has highlighted a few things to me.

Now these things are only MY perspective and Id be more than happy to explain to you on here if you like.

1) Your floor tom is too far away from your centre of gravity.

Bring your floor tom closer to your right side, that way you don't need to lean across so much......if you lean over too much you will lose your bass pedal control and it will sound uneven.

2) Your second tom is outside of your "reach of comfort radius"

If you put the second tom on the first tom mount and move your first tom on to a snare stand.......it will give you good easy access to both toms.

You can put your second tom on the snare stand if the snare basket won't accept anything under 12 inch diameter.

3) Your cymbals MAY be tilted too far inwards.

If you want me to continue chatting with you about it, we can go right back to basics if you like and we can build it up from scratch......but see how you go first.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM

So I've taken a few pics of my set up which you can borrow any ideas.

This set up is ideal for me.......it's taken a few journeys to get there, but anyways.

The first pic gives you the "V" pattern between my hi-hat pedal and bass pedal.

My first tom is easy to get to, my ride is low and very comfy. I don't have to extend myself.

I'm still researching my crash cymbal (left) position, but so far it's good.

Anyways, I hope this may help you to work out positions.

Oh, my snare is actually quite high so my elbows and upper arms just dangle comfortably.

I find a lot of guys seem to have very low snares, mine is at my belly button level (maybe just a smidgen lower)
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeter View Post
Ok. I felt like the bass pedal would be in the way if I centered the snare since the bass drum pedal (and bass drum) are centered, but I'll adjust (I'm a bit psychological).
The bass drum and its pedal should not be considered "center"; the center of your knees when you sit comfortably is the center, and your snare drum should be there. Don't get hung up on facing a certain way or having the kick face a certain way.

Figure three in the Drum! article I posted in my first reply illustrates this perfectly. Please take the time to look at this article - it answers many of your questions.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
The bass drum and its pedal should not be considered "center"; the center of your knees when you sit comfortably is the center, and your snare drum should be there. Don't get hung up on facing a certain way or having the kick face a certain way.

Figure three in the Drum! article I posted in my first reply illustrates this perfectly. Please take the time to look at this article - it answers many of your questions.

Agree with your reasoning but would still like to have the hihat pedal a little more forward which would bet you a little more centered without moving anything else. That to me is a little too wide. My groin muscles hurt. Also the snare could be much closer to the bass drum. It is possible to be almost forward and still have everything in reach. Facing left is not necessary. Go to Youtube and you will see most drummers with the bass drum and themselves facing forward.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 04-08-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Agree with your reasoning but would still like to have the hihat pedal a little more forward which would bet you a little more centered without moving anything else. That to me is a little too wide. My groin muscles hurt.
Or the maniquin is 5 feet tall.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I see. Yeah I feel like I'm slightly facing sideways to the left when I should be centered.
that is usually the case especially with double toms on the bass drum. the rightmost tom is pretty far over in the corner to reach especially when you are not really facing that way. the floor tom is easier since it is much closer.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
On your set up, you couldn't hit dead center but you could gain several inches.

You could set up a double pedal "left handed" which puts the right pedal out of the way. I liked the center snare so I opted for the double pedal that has the pedals to the right and left with the beaters in the center.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 PM

Where would my snare be if the Toms are to be held by the snare stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthedrum View Post
Hey beeter.......it's a very daunting task to get your kit set up to be ergonomic, comfortable etc.

Everyone goes through it and even seasoned professionals still continually change their set up as they evolve musically.

There are so many factors involved such as your height, style of music and your natural gait when you sit, stand walk etc.

There's some absolutely fantastic resources available online that can steer you in the right direction.

YouTube has some very detailed and clear hints on your set-up.

The issue is we are ALL different with different sounds required for our playing.

The set-up that you have shown us has highlighted a few things to me.

Now these things are only MY perspective and Id be more than happy to explain to you on here if you like.

1) Your floor tom is too far away from your centre of gravity.

Bring your floor tom closer to your right side, that way you don't need to lean across so much......if you lean over too much you will lose your bass pedal control and it will sound uneven.

2) Your second tom is outside of your "reach of comfort radius"

If you put the second tom on the first tom mount and move your first tom on to a snare stand.......it will give you good easy access to both toms.

You can put your second tom on the snare stand if the snare basket won't accept anything under 12 inch diameter.

3) Your cymbals MAY be tilted too far inwards.

If you want me to continue chatting with you about it, we can go right back to basics if you like and we can build it up from scratch......but see how you go first.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Where would my snare be if the Toms are to be held by the snare stand?
For some people like me...... having a tom on a snare stand can make it easier to place a tom closer to the snare.

Your snare will still be where it is.......what I was meaning was a second snare stand for one of your toms.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:15 PM

So should my foundation be determined by the hi hat pedal and the bass drum pedal? Then the snare being centered?

Yeah I was too hung up on having the set facing straight and facing forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post

Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't need that second rack tom, I'd lower that first rack town down (maybe on a separate stand), then drop and flatten your cymbals a little. This makes it super-comfortable to play. (A plate of BBQ, mac and cheese, cornbread, baked beans, and sweet tea always make me play better as well.)

YMMV.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

The drawing posted looks like his legs are spread WAY out. Mine are both rubbing on the snare.

An ergonomic set up is where you position the tings you use most in a comfortable and easily and accessible location.

I think that drums should be comfortably centered on your body, well within reach. 80-90% of you playing is likely kick, snare, hats/ride. Get a comfortable height and start moving things around.

It only took me 5 years to end up where I like it :)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So should my foundation be determined by the hi hat pedal and the bass drum pedal? Then the snare being centered?

Yes, that is exactly the idea. This way, your whole body is straight. If your bass and toms were centered, you would be sitting twisted from the get go. As you play and move around the kit, you will be twisting your spine even more. With your feet centered, as you move around the kit, the twisting is reduced to a normal amount. Gotta protect the back. If it goes out, you don't play.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:41 AM
bud7h4
This message has been deleted by bud7h4.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yes, as I've said twice now :)
Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

The drawing is total nonsense !
Everything is too far out.

Here is a pic of my kit - driver view. It's not a typical blue print but it may help. The kit is deep (deep snare and toms) and people find my cymbals are too high.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
The drawing is total nonsense !
Everything is too far out.

Here is a pic of my kit - driver view. It's not a typical blue print but it may help. The kit is deep (deep snare and toms) and people find my cymbals are too high.

I agree with others that your cymbals are too high (for me at least). There's a lot of real estate between snare and hats.

With that said, that's a great-looking set of Signia's! :)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

When I don't use the twin pedal, my hihat is a bit closer, you're right. For the cymbals, yes I always put them relatively high, still I can hit the bell of the crash without raising from the stool ;-)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

There is some good advice on this thread.
However, I think the subject of being comfortable while playing the drums and how exactly to set up your personal drum set is a subject
that can not be completely settled here on this forum. It's like trying to help someone decide exactly which pair of shoes to buy over the internet.
There are too many variables.

The only way to do it correctly is to have an experienced drummer or a drum teacher help you out, in person, with your drum set.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
When I don't use the twin pedal, my hihat is a bit closer, you're right. For the cymbals, yes I always put them relatively high, still I can hit the bell of the crash without raising from the stool ;-)
Hey, as long as it's comfortable for you, let it be. Drummers definitely have different levels of reach. I visit a drummer-friend from time to time, and while he's maybe 2-3 inches shorter than I am, I always feel like I'm sitting on the toilet playing his kit. You would probably feel this way if you played mine! :)
Old 04-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Do a search on here for "tom angles" to get some ideas...

*don't do it
Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 AM

Is this why companies have made a drum rack that no one uses? It looks a lot like what an edrum kit would have but made for acoustic drum sets, I think Pearl put out one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
There is some good advice on this thread.
However, I think the subject of being comfortable while playing the drums and how exactly to set up your personal drum set is a subject
that can not be completely settled here on this forum. It's like trying to help someone decide exactly which pair of shoes to buy over the internet.
There are too many variables.

The only way to do it correctly is to have an experienced drummer or a drum teacher help you out, in person, with your drum set.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Could this stand work:

https://imgur.com/a/15cQHDe

I sure was able to clamp a timbale on one of its L-rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
If you don't need that second rack tom, I'd lower that first rack town down (maybe on a separate stand), then drop and flatten your cymbals a little. This makes it super-comfortable to play. (A plate of BBQ, mac and cheese, cornbread, baked beans, and sweet tea always make me play better as well.)

YMMV.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM

5 hours of arranging my set and I'm still not satisfied. I'm sure those drum set rack might be of help?

Although the slightly tilted bass drum got a bit comfy compared to when it was straight and centered, the rack Toms are also tilted towards the bass drum positioning (hard to get tom 1 to sit just above the snare, I feel like I need to reach):

https://imgur.com/a/2fUMXb3

In fact, the whole set appears to be tilted now including the cymbals lol, instead of what was supposed to be just the bass drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
The drawing posted looks like his legs are spread WAY out. Mine are both rubbing on the snare.

An ergonomic set up is where you position the tings you use most in a comfortable and easily and accessible location.

I think that drums should be comfortably centered on your body, well within reach. 80-90% of you playing is likely kick, snare, hats/ride. Get a comfortable height and start moving things around.

It only took me 5 years to end up where I like it :)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
5 hours of arranging my set and I'm still not satisfied. I'm sure those drum set rack might be of help?

Although the slightly tilted bass drum got a bit comfy compared to when it was straight and centered, the rack Toms are also tilted towards the bass drum positioning (hard to get tom 1 to sit just above the snare, I feel like I need to reach):

https://imgur.com/a/2fUMXb3

In fact, the whole set appears to be tilted now including the cymbals lol, instead of what was supposed to be just the bass drum.
The Snare should be much closer to the bass drum rim. The 12 / 13 should be less tilted.
The curious thing is the floor tom way higher than the snare drum. - - - My 2 Euros.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Beeter
This problem you have is frustrating to me. It's like you sending me a message saying, "my shoes are not comfortable, I want to keep them, please help me".
I can't help you unless I'm there with you watching you play and walking you through how to set up your drum set so that you are comfortable playing it.
There are lots of variables involved.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm sure those drum set rack might be of help?
A rack? Come on man. Seriously.

I just posted this in the bell thread. I really hate to be redundant and repost it here, but it's pertinent and I reckon you need to see it. You're losing your way mate.

Quote:
I think you should focus on actually playing and learning to use what you've already got musically.

I mean, it's good to explore and it's good to be curious. I highly encourage it and I'd hate to put you off over the long term. But you sure do have a lot of distractions on your radar mate. Every new thread is about shiny new gear, yet I can't recall a single thread or question on how to actually approach playing the instrument.

I suggest a few lessons. You need them. It's obvious by your posts. Knuckle down and learn to play what you've got. A few lessons will answer many of the questions you have about how to set up, what to hit and when to hit it.

Worry about all the peripherals later on as you progress. Later on they may well enhance what you're doing. But for now, they're nothing but distractions.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
5 hours of arranging my set and I'm still not satisfied.
You may be making the perfect the enemy of the good. Instead of chasing a perfect setup, chase one that works.

Looking at your kit, here are my comments, some of which may be based on perspective illusions in the pic:
1. Bring your floor tom closer to your right leg.
2. Drop your floor tom so that it's head is at the same level as your snare
3. Ditch the china and the splash until you get comfortable
4. Move your crash to between your high hats and first rack tom
5. Lower your high hats
6. Move your ride cymbal so that it overlaps your floor tom by about 25%, and only slightly higher.

Watch this video...but treat it (and my suggestions) as somebody else's notions, not ideas set in stone.

If you still can't get comfortable, temporarily ditch everything except bass drum, snare and hats. When you get them working, start adding elements back in. Toms, then ride, then splash then china.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Is this why companies have made a drum rack that no one uses? It looks a lot like what an edrum kit would have but made for acoustic drum sets, I think Pearl put out one?
Quote:
5 hours of arranging my set and I'm still not satisfied. I'm sure those drum set rack might be of help?...........
Quote:
A rack? Come on man. Seriously?............
The rack costing more than kit. Nothing like undermining the forum members... Think you should stop now, and work on lessons. Your teacher will 'tilt' you straight and level out your questions on posture.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

To answer your question, yes the timbale stand would work just fine if you wanted to experiment.

I think also what it's going to take is just playing. Positioning your kit will evolve over time. Can't reach something? Pull it a little closer. Feel like you T-Rex-arming something? Push it back a little. It's a lot of trial and error.

After 20+ years of playing, the way I set up now is totally different than the way it was when I first started.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Cant help thinking ur overheads are just too big....can they be flattened and lowered?
I personally dislike having to stretch forward so my snare, BD and toms are all but touching each other and low, with cymbals tucked in low and tight...very comfortable.