DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Things you hate to have happen while drumming

I think we all agree that playing the drums is loads of fun but.....
Sometimes, while drumming, things can go wrong. Post anything you hate to have happen while you drum.

1. Hitting your hand with a drumstick while playing. Not only does it hurt, but I usually drop the stick in the most inconvenient of places (which leads me to my next point).

2. Having the stick fly out of your hand while drumming. I can stand dropping it within reaching area, but I hate it when the stick lands several feet away.

Post any occurences that annoy you while you drum.

My Kit
Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Having the bass drum begin to slide away from you as you hit it in the middle of a song.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 AM

I grew up counting a four measure beat and going back to one after those four measures.So when ever I have to play over that amount I have to fight the urge to go on to five.It's not really drumming,more of just me.

My set is up against a wall and a desk is right next to it.So when I get in I have to push my hihat in and sometimes it hits a tom.

I hate it when a stick flies out of your hand and flies in front of your set and then having to get out of the set and get it.

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 AM

Don't often drop sticks anymore, bass drum does not slide if using a carpet underneath...
I do hate when I miss a cymbal (every so often...)
The worst for me is when I totally forget the rythm to a song we haven't played in while and have to switch gears already into the song.

Oh well, guess these things will happen from time to time, but at least it means you are playing!

Christian Drummers Army
Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 AM
DW Pro Drummer

My bass drum pedal broke on a gig once. Not really break, but the beater came loose and was unplayable. On a funk tune as well. I told the bass player to turn his mids up to cover up. I got it fixed though. But still, that's not something great to happen.

I remember one of my friend's cymbal stands fell down on the floor one time. Very loud crash. Not very musical.

http://www.geocities.com/michaeldangelo5/
Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I get really cross when I drop sticks. Paying more attention and not doing it so much anymore.
Missing the crash and hitting a tom instead ... just getting distracted and it sounds really stupid.
My foot slipping on the high-hat pedal ... happens on every pedal I use except my own.
But the thing I hate most is when the song ... or the set ... is over and I have to stop playing.
(My favorite moment at Woodstick: playing 'We Will Rock You' with the house band ... I think it went 15 verses ... and I was just getting warmed up!)
Old 05-20-2006, 06:49 AM

Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentpole

I hate it when a stick flies out of your hand and flies in front of your set and then having to get out of the set and get it.
You should keep 2 or 3 extra pairs of sticks..this used to happen to me and wow...it stinks.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Bassdrum and hi-hat creeping away. This causes me to miss my hi-hat sometimes which makes me drop my stick.

Learning I hadnt tightened a stand enough, such as the cymbal stand rotating joint so my crash will come down on my toms or something.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangus
Bassdrum and hi-hat creeping away. This causes me to miss my hi-hat sometimes which makes me drop my stick.
Yes, I agree, that is a thing I really hate!! Especially when I had gigs on stone floor...the baddest thing is that you can`t get it back, you have to play, show must go on, and there is probably another problem: the drums will fall down from the stage because the stage isn`t so big! I just hate this!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_c
Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.
i absolutly hate that, my band has a song that we extend to about ten minutes when we play live and i have to play most of it on the ride

also dropping a stick while playing, it sucks, today i dropped a stick and it landed in such a way on my right bass pedal that i couldent press it down, and i had to stop playing to be able to pull it out of the pedal

and another thing, i have a pretty crap kit, especcially the tom arms, they are all dented and stuff, just from tightening the toms onto them, and doing this has created many grooves on the mounts, so when im playing, the toms start to go completly flat and then they start going to the opposite angle. this means that i cannot play my toms unless i stop and twist them to the right angle and then tighen them again.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:29 AM

I drop sticks too, but I always have a pair of extrasticks on my bassdrum and hihat stand.
and I play gigs mostly in gloves now, and it really works.
Once I torn the chain of the right pedal (I lead with right foot) on my double-kick, during a really long song (8:30-8:40). I've played all the song up to the end with left foot. Hell, it's really s*cks.
And the first problem are this fog-machines (God, I h8 them), and constant heat in the clubs....
Old 05-20-2006, 11:35 AM

The worst to happen to me would be snare'kick heads breaking.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:09 PM

When i practise with my band, i try to experiment a lot with my fills and most of the time they turn out great but sometimes they turn out wierd. The worst one was when i didnt get in properly after the fill, so i played the rythm inverted if you will - it sounded really wierd, lol...
Old 05-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Snare head or bass drum head breaking during a set it's just impossible to go on until you fix it. Any other tom you can get by the rest of the night usually.

Dropping sticks stinks, but I have a second stick holder that pro-mark used to make mounted on my hi-hat and it I drop one I can grab one in a second.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:48 PM

For me the most Painful experience has been occuring alot recently when ive been using my new electric kit, I get really into a groove and ill lose the grip of my stick and it will rebound and smack me in the face... =p very painful. Has never happened to me on an acoustic kit, guess im not quite used to the pads.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 PM

I hate gigging/playing school kits, especially in a gig where you are not given any time to get the kit how you like it, so something really inconvienient happens like; the bass drum beater isn't tightened properly so it just ricochets of the head and either disappears behing stage or smacks you in the face (ow) or the cymbal stand just collapses one way or another or what I find most annoying, the clutch on the hi-hat just drops and you're playing permanently closed hi hat till the end of the song (gig situation) which just sounds crap cuz it isn't even properly closed hi hat.
I mention these problems on school kit becasue i haven't yet got an acoustic. Click in my sig to hear my electric I have. : )

Also as a lot of people have said, missing cymbals is very annoying as is dropping sticks etc.

O well, stuff happens.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Does going to the bathroom count, your playing and your mind is saying

"Gotta go"
Old 05-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Pioneer Member

I broke my snare stand once.. so, I had to ducktape my snare to the rest of my stand.. worst night ever.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

I hate when I hit my right leg with a stick when I go from snare to floor tom. It kills your leg and you cant play the bass for a moment. Fortunately it has only happened when I practice and not in a show.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:12 PM

Back when I first started gigging. My band was playing this party out in someones back yard.... really just a big field in the woods. No lights just the amps, drums, us, the kag and alot of drunk people.... I couldnt see my kit so I busted open all my knuckles from hitting the rims. The next day I look at the snare head... Yummy!!

But I still got some at that party
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 PM

It's not something that happened while playing, but it's something that gets me very mad. I have a friend that ALWAYS wants to play my drums and all he evey does (since he has no rhythm) is blast beats(horrible blast beats at that). Just gets annoying especially at practice when we try to get things done but thats all he wants to do.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm_Slayer
It's not something that happened while playing, but it's something that gets me very mad. I have a friend that ALWAYS wants to play my drums and all he evey does (since he has no rhythm) is blast beats(horrible blast beats at that). Just gets annoying especially at practice when we try to get things done but thats all he wants to do.
I was once in a band like that. It's very annoying and we got nowhere.

My Kit
Old 05-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

the usual sticks flying away, missing a cymbal (or a tom and hitting the crash instead), etc...
and drummerboy3940, i've hit my leg like that too... hurts ><
plus, this happens all the time, the washer under my top hat loosens and drops the hat... it happens after just a couple of measures playing eighth notes with 'em loose or opening and closing them with my foot
Old 05-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

If you guys have seen the pics of my room and set, then you know that I play on a platform to reduce noise. However, the platform is a little bit too small right now, so sometimes my hi hat stands 3rd leg (haha, third leg...) comes off the platform. Very annoying.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 AM

oh i had the worst thing happen to me, well not rally the wrost but it really sucked. it was i think a month ago and for some dumb reason i brough one pair of drumsticks to a gig since i'm not really used to breakin sticks and the were zoro's brand stick that dontl ussually break. well taht night i founded out other bands were going to be playin there too so i went to check on the drums and by accident left my one pair of drumsticks ther and then anotehr band played before us. when i got there my sticks were gone and the band before me had left so i borrown a pari of sticks from another drummer and the sticks broke cause they were like 7 as and they were already old and they broke into the end of our second song. then i got another stick which also broke.. this one i knew it was gonna break cause of the weird feelin it had i guess the sticks this guy had were all like rotten or something... but yeah not a very good day.. although the overall peformance was pretty awsome
Old 05-21-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm_Slayer
man thats y u have drumsticks anybody come close u whack them and they wont come back lol, done taht to the bassist of my band heheh and to the singer who wanted to jump on them at practice if its at show then i wont mind i'll just beat him up backstage lol
Old 05-21-2006, 11:41 AM

I hate it when stick get jammed together....
Also i hate those unwanted rimshots that i get from the toms.
But the thing i hate the most is when my back hurt, its so anoyinng makes me crazy!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:04 PM

i hate breaking sticks, but i have lots of spares, so that's really not a problem....usually the worst is breaking a knuckle open....pretty messy, but people look at ya, and figure you are really getting into it....
and, hahahah....sometimes, when our pyro is a little too close to the drum riser......that gets a tad warm up there.......
Old 05-21-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Cramps in your forearm, when playing the ride...that isn't healthy, and a sign of bad technique.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Hitting my leg with a stick, having one fly out of my hand and (I've only done this twice) hitting my hand on the rim of the snare and basically splitting it abit and making it bleed.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Consultant

I hate it when there's a big powerful HOT light aimed right at the back of my head while I'm onstage. As if I didn't sweat enough already.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:02 PM

When My singer picks like 10 songs that are all fast. No time to catch my breath. And when I ask him "Why?" He says "You should be ready for stuff like that. "

Another is not doing any warm ups before the show and having my hand cramp up in the first song.<------- My fault!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Pioneer Member

BREAKING MY STICKS!! ARGH HOW ITS SO IRRITATING AFTER A DAY OF BUYING THEM!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks
BREAKING MY STICKS!! ARGH HOW ITS SO IRRITATING AFTER A DAY OF BUYING THEM!
I very much agree. I was almost hit in the eye when I broke one once... I guess that's why I slightly turn my head when I hit my floor tom.

My Kit
Old 05-21-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldangelo
My bass drum pedal broke on a gig once. Not really break, but the beater came loose and was unplayable. On a funk tune as well. I told the bass player to turn his mids up to cover up. I got it fixed though. But still, that's not something great to happen.

I remember one of my friend's cymbal stands fell down on the floor one time. Very loud crash. Not very musical.
Hi Mike that sounds intresting, can you explain to me a bit more about how turning up the mids on the bass guitar covers up the lack of bass drums in the overall mix. I think I have heard of this before and can imagine the effect it will have too. The last time that happened to me I just used the floor tom and it worked almost as well, it wasnt my kit but I think I was just lucky on that one there.

I hate hitting my self with sticks, flinging them across the room, missing half a beat or changing tempo when you go to pick them up. I don't have that much bad luck when out gigging as I try to endeavour to make sure stuff like this won't happen by predicting the most common or likely of incidents and doing something about it before hand. Just when I am messing about with a new hard and fast fill that my sticks will end up flying away really.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Pioneer Member

i hate it when i drop my sticks. usually i dont drop em anymore, but when i do, it keeps happening over and over.

Quote:
Better technique, more technical and rudimentary practise to gain stamina and ease of playing and also better positing of your ride cymbal. Any more help just ask. ;-).

We've got to take measures to avoid this happening people! Saying that I am as guilty as anyone as not setting up my kit as well as I should becasue I haven't made time to expirment with what works better. I suppose we just get too exicted about playing them and forget other stuff.
Pioneer Member

o yeah, i also hate hitting myself in the face with my stick.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Pioneer Member

I hate when you play a rimshot too far into the drum and hit your finger on the rim! I've gotten blood on my drum heads before from that. But you learn that lesson fast!