DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 AM

Default Another guy asking for help with a decision....

Hey everyone! New guy on the boards here. This seems like a great drum forum.

I've been a drummer off and on for years. Mostly off haha. I'm looking to get back into it and I ran across this kit on Craigslist in my area. A 5 piece Mapex Meridian Maple. I haven't seen them in person yet because he's been out of town but I could see them this weekend. He claims these are like new and he's only played them out twice. He's asking $450 for the kit. No hardware or cymbals. Since I'm getting back into it I will need all of that stuff again. It seems like a great deal to me especially if they look as good as he claims (and everyone seems to rave about the Meridian maple) but I've been out of the loop for a long time and wanted to get other opinions.

If it matters I am looking to start a Def Leppard tribute band. I honestly have been torn between an acoustic kit and an electronic kit. That's a whole nother thread for another day lol.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Another guy asking for help with a decision....

Go for it. Especially because that is a Black Panther snare, which are SWEET. There are some BP snares that alone cost more than $450.

Paiste
Pork Pie
Yamaha

Band: hxoxbx.bandcamp.com

Old 03-11-2015, 04:59 AM

$450 is good for any 5-piece maple kit, I'd say go for it. Like Militant said, that Black Panther is a nice snare. For a Def Leppard tribute band, depending on if and where you're gigging, maple may or may not be the best fit for a wood type. However, this deal looks like it really jumps out, so if you feel like you can make good use of a kit like this, I'd say do it.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbehrens3.14 View Post
$450 is good for any 5-piece maple kit, I'd say go for it. Like Militant said, that Black Panther is a nice snare. For a Def Leppard tribute band, depending on if and where you're gigging, maple may or may not be the best fit for a wood type. However, this deal looks like it really jumps out, so if you feel like you can make good use of a kit like this, I'd say do it.
Thanks for your thoughts guys....Dave, now that you bring that up - is there a better TYPE of shell that maybe I should look for for the type of music/project I'll be doing?

I was looking strongly at the Roland TD11/Yamaha DTX522 but not sure if I want to hi jack my own thread ; 0
Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts guys....Dave, now that you bring that up - is there a better TYPE of shell that maybe I should look for for the type of music/project I'll be doing?

I was looking strongly at the Roland TD11/Yamaha DTX522 but not sure if I want to hi jack my own thread ; 0
You can always use mesh heads and triggers with an acoustic kit. Then you have the option to do either. That's a pretty good deal on that kit.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

Sick deal on that kit, I'd jump on it all day long. Meridians were great drums and that BP snare is fantastic.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:54 AM

I think its a pretty good deal as well. I hate e-kits, so I'd be all over that acoustic kit, looks in great condition.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
I was looking at the DTX532, but only because it's the lowest cost 'real' hi-hat option and I'll be using it for coordination practice. The Roland hat-upgrade is 400 alone, figure $450 with a stand.

My teacher gave me the following Advice: "Buy Roland", which would probably be smart for me to listen to, but.....

FWIW, Alesis has a $100 hat ($150 with a stand) which is compatible with TD8/10, but when you're already spending $1000, you might as well buy a Roland or Yamaha.

Ping the eDrums forum, test drive a few. Figure out your budget versus what you want/need.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Let's just put that "getting an electronic kit" idea out of your mind for right now ;)

I think you should just get those drums. Maple will be your best bet at this point for the price. Learn how to make those do what you want them to do. Maple has been used for decades now and there's no excuse they wouldn't sound good being used for anything. Your only other choice would be a birch shell (more attack-y and bottom end, but almost no body), or some mix of plies. If you can get an all-maple kit for that price, I'd take it.

If you get an electronic kit, then you'll have to amplify it, which is going to totally negate any cost savings to sound big enough for a band. Then there's the maintenance issue with electronics - you'll be pounding on that kit with sticks, how much can you spend to replace parts when the time comes?

With acoustic drums, you can start playing them now without amplification, and the maintenance is cheaper if you take care of the kit. You'll probably just be doing head changes for a few years. When I owned a Roland TD-10 V-Drum kit (which cost $6500 new), when I broke a cone in one of the pads, that cost a little over $100 to get that fixed. I had to send it to Roland so they could fix it, which took them almost two weeks. So I couldn't go borrow a pad from anybody, I just had to live without it. That electronic kit was my most expensive practice-pad kit ever. I'm not doing that again, and I don't recommend it to anyone else - unless you have money to burn.