DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass vs. drums challenge video - released here first :)

This is lovely stuff. I remember you being really excited about shooting the video and it's turned out exactly how you described!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM
keep it simple
This message has been deleted by keep it simple.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

QUOTE=BacteriumFendYoke;1274000]This is lovely stuff. I remember you being really excited about shooting the video and it's turned out exactly how you described![/quote]Cheers Duncan :) Yes, I was excited, mainly because I had no idea how it would turn out, & it had quite a bit of risk attached to it. Managing audio capture in the room was a big challenge outside of the artistic/production considerations. Without isolation & lots of processing, it was always going to be an uphill challenge to get it to sit well against uber processed stuff. In the end, the big walnut kit suffered as a result, but the vibe was good, & that was always the first priority.

I forgot to mention, once we wrapped up the session, we discovered some distortion on the walnut kit channels. Despite the mic's being dialled right back, once George got thumping his stuff out, it fairly killed the mic's ;) ;) ;) Really, you had to be in that room!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like this concept the best, because you have 3 distinct players, with 3 different touches and 3 different musical sensibilities, so it makes it even easier to evaluate the drums. All the players are top notch. I really, really got a lot out of this. You guys have created an original concept with these videos, and the lamp motif is just classic.

Of course the drums are gorgeous in both sound and looks. Even though I have a set, these videos make me want to buy another set. Or two. It's like when you get a brand new car and the next model year they improve it and you want that even more.

But I'm completely happy with my first generation Origins. Still, the new generation is hard to resist.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Andy, I remember that walnut kit turning more than a few heads in Manchester. The first time you got it out of the case and thumped it, pretty much everyone looked up to see what had just happened. I'm not surprised you got distortion! Big low frequencies have a lot of energy...
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
A massive thanks to Yolanda for agreeing to do this
At the risk of going off-topic:

What did Yolanda think of the Rumble-500? I'm looking to pick up something for my basement that's light enough to carry with one-arm, and I dig the classic look of the new Fender V3's. I'm just afraid that it's another piece of Class-D trash all the megastores seem to be pushing these days.

Before all you bass guys comment, note that I do not have the money for Markbass. I would if I could.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Are you looking for just a head? Or do you want a cab as well? I've been seriously tempted by the Ampeg Portaflex series of late (not that I can afford any new bass gear). Class D, light but distinctively Ampeg if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4cWfCY12g

Dat P-Bass tone...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Are you looking for just a head? Or do you want a cab as well? I've been seriously tempted by the Ampeg Portaflex series of late (not that I can afford any new bass gear). Class D, light but distinctively Ampeg if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4cWfCY12g

Dat P-Bass tone...
Looking for a one-armable-carry combo. Hartke, GK, Ampeg, etc all appear to use the same class D design. If you go into the back of a SamAsh or GC, you'll see a stack of them awaiting the dumpsman, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer to simply ship a new one than repair an old one.

Class D allows you to use smaller lighter components. This allows manufacturers toss proper thermal dissipation and longevity to the wind in favor of "light, cheap, loud", leading to an extraordinarily high rate of failure. It's not that class D sucks, it's that manufacturers leverage its characteristics to produce high powered, nice sounding, trash amps that die in a year and will burn your house down. Properly implemented class D stuff is awesome. I may bring a screwdriver to guitar center this week.

My other concerns about the Fender....

1: Controls are on the top-rear, so you need to place it sideways on an extension cab to reach the controls when playing live, which may be a ventilation no-no.

2: The amp is 350w at 8ohm and 500 at 4ohm. They sell an 8ohm 4x10 extension cab. The combo is a 2x10 at 8ohm. Since power is divisible by impedance, you'll have 250w driving the 2x10 and 250w driving the 4x10 creating a volume/timbre mismatch between the two cabinets. They 'do' offer a 15" extension cab at 8ohm, which makes more sense as the 15" has roughly the same speaker surface area as the 2x10 in the combo.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

What about something from Roland? I always had good luck with my Roland Cube guitar combo. Not the most glamorous name but I like their gear.

In terms of issues with modern, cheap class-D amplifiers, they're covered well by warranty. I know there have been issues with some of the Ampeg models (heat dissipation - that seems to have disappeared with a revision a couple of years ago).

I wish we had a couple of decent bass shops closer to me (i.e. not central London)... then I could go and have a proper look too!

Sorry, Andy...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish we had a couple of decent bass shops closer to me (i.e. not central London)... then I could go and have a proper look too!
Will ping in a more appropriate thread when I find what I'm looking for. Hopefully keep-it-simple with chime in on the Fender's performance.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

You know what would be great to hear in a future video? Let the drummers rotate, so that we hear how the same drumkit sounds when a different drummer plays it :)!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
You know what would be great to hear in a future video? Let the drummers rotate, so that we hear how the same drumkit sounds when a different drummer plays it :)!
Actually, this is not a bad idea... even if it causes minor problems, ie: bass drum pedals, set up position, throne height, etc.

Dave, George and David have very different style of playing, even if they only demonstrated a glimpse of their own individual style, these guys can really play and it would be interesting to hear the kits responding to the individual player.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Renegade

Quote:
In theory I like this because each player will pull something different from each kit, though in terms of overall effect it might distract from the drums themselves by inviting more focus on the players. I could be wrong, just a thought.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
In theory I like this because each player will pull something different from each kit, though in terms of overall effect it might distract from the drums themselves by inviting more focus on the players. I could be wrong, just a thought.
I agree. You should send me all three kits, and I'll rotate among them. Then we can try them without the bottom heads too ;)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I really, really got a lot out of this. You guys have created an original concept with these videos, and the lamp motif is just classic.
Thanks Larry :) If you got something out of it, it was worth doing.

The lamps are such an ingrained part of our videos now, they have to stay :)

Quote:
Andy, I remember that walnut kit turning more than a few heads in Manchester. The first time you got it out of the case and thumped it, pretty much everyone looked up to see what had just happened. .
Ha, yes. They're too used to their weak bass drums with flappy tuning ;) I just want to shout "crank the redo"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
At the risk of going off-topic:

What did Yolanda think of the Rumble-500?
She's very happy with it, although she wasn't especially pleased with it in that room. Apparently, it's the first time she hasn't been happy with it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'm going with Grea's concern here my Alpine friend, although I can see it working in the right context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I agree. You should send me all three kits, and I'll rotate among them. Then we can try them without the bottom heads too ;)
It would be cheaper to ship you over here - cargo, of course :)

Do you actually own a concert tom kit? Oh, I forgot, there's always tomorrow eh! ;)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm going with Grea's concern here my Alpine friend, although I can see it working in the right context.
hm, couldn't one as well say the three drummers already distract from the drum sound in an equal
manner because the setting is kind of "battle" like, where you're always thinking what the next drummer
is going to be playing?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Very interesting endeavor. Some serious talent all around. Yolanda? WOW.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

She's not just a great bass player but a kind, gentle, gracious and generous human being. I met her briefly a while back and she epitomises professionalism and grace.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
hm, couldn't one as well say the three drummers already distract from the drum sound in an equal
manner because the setting is kind of "battle" like, where you're always thinking what the next drummer
is going to be playing?
Agreed, now I think about it. We won't be recording again for a while, but I'll have to dream up something to top this video = not easy ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
Very interesting endeavor. Some serious talent all around. Yolanda? WOW.
Thank You :)

Quote:
She's not just a great bass player but a kind, gentle, gracious and generous human being. I met her briefly a while back and she epitomises professionalism and grace.
Duncan, that is such an accurate & eloquently expressed appraisal of Yolanda. Such a lady, & someone who puts everyone at ease. Michele Drees is cast from the same metal. Total professionalism delivered with human sensitivity & sheer class. These girls have travelled every aspect & level of the business, & it shows in their approach. Getting good gigs is so much more than being a good player, but you need to be that too, & more.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

It would be cheaper to ship you over here - cargo, of course :)

Do you actually own a concert tom kit? Oh, I forgot, there's always tomorrow eh! ;)
My plan is to get to London in this lifetime. And the Guru's will be my first concert tom kit!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Meet her at the London Drum Show that day we all met and briefly chatted in a lift.

I've been a fan ever since I first bought Live Wood by Paul Weller back in '97 I think. Had to contain the excitement and play it cool.

Class lady
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

I just love Yolanda :)
It was a dream to spend the day with her!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Meet her at the London Drum Show that day we all met and briefly chatted in a lift.

I've been a fan ever since I first bought Live Wood by Paul Weller back in '97 I think. Had to contain the excitement and play it cool.

Class lady
Class lady indeed. Are you attending LDS this year? If you want (& sorry, there's no way I can do this for everyone), I can take you to the private after party where you can watch Yolanda play all night :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Floegel View Post
Special indeed, & I know she enjoyed herself :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My plan is to get to London in this lifetime. And the Guru's will be my first concert tom kit!
I'm engaging Larry to have you placed on "the Wumpus list" ;)
Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Floegel View Post
A dream indeed... I loved every seconds of that day :)

Quote:
If you want (& sorry, there's no way I can do this for everyone), I can take you to the private after party where you can watch Yolanda play all night :)
Oh yes... please, please Andy, take me to the private party, I'd love to see you play... :)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Oh yes... please, please Andy, take me to the private party, I'd love to see you fail...
I've corrected your post to reflect the real attraction ;) ;) ;)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Class lady indeed. Are you attending LDS this year? If you want (& sorry, there's no way I can do this for everyone), I can take you to the private after party where you can watch Yolanda play all night :)

Special indeed, & I know she enjoyed herself :)

I'm engaging Larry to have you placed on "the Wumpus list" ;)
Me and Mrs Juniper will definitely be there this year again.

That would be very, very kind of you Andy. I'd love that, consider me in for it.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Me and Mrs Juniper will definitely be there this year again.

That would be very, very kind of you Andy. I'd love that, consider me in for it.
No problem :) Just be sure to check in with me on the Saturday, & then see me towards the end of Saturday's show. Usually, by then, I'll have tickets.

There's something a bit cool about seeing world class musicians jamming in a pub :) Missed out last year TBH as we spent too long in the restaurant & missed most of the show. Won't be making that mistake again, especially as I'm meant to be playing.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
No problem :) Just be sure to check in with me on the Saturday, & then see me towards the end of Saturday's show. Usually, by then, I'll have tickets.

There's something a bit cool about seeing world class musicians jamming in a pub :) Missed out last year TBH as we spent too long in the restaurant & missed most of the show. Won't be making that mistake again, especially as I'm meant to be playing.
Thank you Andy, very kind of you.

Bought my ticket last week so I'm all set on this year. Can't wait.

Two floors this time!! Two floors!! Eeeek
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Missed out last year TBH as we spent too long in the restaurant & missed most of the show.
To be fair, I think most of us were rather besotted with the waitresses. That's my excuse, anyhow.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you Andy, very kind of you.

Bought my ticket last week so I'm all set on this year. Can't wait.

Two floors this time!! Two floors!! Eeeek
No problem. Mrs. Juniper too?

Yes, much bigger, & more importantly, a much more spacious show than last year. More attention paid to stand noise separation, & some of the "show your gospel chops to your mates" 15 minute slots have been replaced by live acoustic stage performances in the exhibition area. That's 3 live stages for this year's event, & we're sponsoring a performance by Michele Drees & her incredible jazz tap project.

No doubt Yolanda will be hanging at our stand sometime during the day too. The whole of Saturday is going to be epic! Wish Larry & Grea were coming this year as opposed to last year. A much better visitor experience, & amazing MainStage artist list this year too :)

Quote:
To be fair, I think most of us were rather besotted with the waitresses. That's my excuse, anyhow.
I concur on one waitress in particular. For a "man of a certain age" - almost too much - almost ;)

Video link again ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CePi...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
No problem. Mrs. Juniper too?

Yes, much bigger, & more importantly, a much more spacious show than last year. More attention paid to stand noise separation, & some of the "show your gospel chops to your mates" 15 minute slots have been replaced by live acoustic stage performances in the exhibition area. That's 3 live stages for this year's event, & we're sponsoring a performance by Michele Drees & her incredible jazz tap project.

No doubt Yolanda will be hanging at our stand sometime during the day too. The whole of Saturday is going to be epic! Wish Larry & Grea were coming this year as opposed to last year. A much better visitor experience, & amazing MainStage artist list this year too :)

I concur on one waitress in particular. For a "man of a certain age" - almost too much - almost ;)

Video link again ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CePi...ature=youtu.be
To be honest I was kind of dissapointed with LDS last year. It was claustrophobic to say the least and a huge mess. Really the one and only good stand was the guru one
Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
To be honest I was kind of dissapointed with LDS last year. It was claustrophobic to say the least and a huge mess. Really the one and only good stand was the guru one
I think last year's show was good, but suffered badly from over subscription (both exhibitors & visitors) for the size of venue. The show had outgrown its location.

This year, I think there's almost too much room to play with. Many of the stand spaces have increased considerably in size, & the public spaces between stands are very generous. There's some very cool additional exhibitors this year too, & that will add further flavour to one of the biggest dedicated drum shows in the world.

I'll start a dedicated LDS thread nearer the time, because there's other good news stuff coming through.