DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Portnoy and the Winery Dogs

Sorry just venting. The Winery Dogs will be playing a local venue close to me that seats about 200 people. I asked management if it would be possible for a meet and greet. The Dogs stated not only no but hell no. I can understand if this was a large venue but this is a very small venue, I understand they wanted to play small venues to have a more intimate experience with the fans, A polite no would have worked. What a bunch of tools. Sorry for the rant. Let's see, do I wear my dream theatre shirt or the Mangini?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Portnoy and the Winery Dogs

I looked up Winery Dogs on Wikipedia, and my honest reaction was, is that all it takes to call your band a 'rock supergroup'? Having played in the somewhat embarrassing Mr. Big, whose hit single was, if I remember correctly, something about how much some whiny boy dislikes his friend's girlfriend?

I mean, sure, there's the Dream Theater connection, but that's not exactly Rush or even Iron Maiden (whom DT used to cover, early on), or, dare I say it, Jethro Tull on the prog-metal popularity and musicianship charts.

Maybe I'm just out of touch (gee, Nance, ya think?), but I'm not seeing the "supergroup" in that lot. Maybe they're hoping that copping a pissy attitude will make up for their eternal C-list status in the pantheon of rock music.

That's not to say they're a lousy band -- they sound like something I might really appreciate and enjoy. But not with an attitude like that toward the people paying for the electronic gewgaws and sound engineers that create most of their sound.

In short: F*** those guys. I'll spend my money on bands that aren't obvious in their disparagement toward me.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

YouTube has a few official vids onboard for your listening enjoyment... or perhaps not.

I thought Portnoy was suffering from a persistent case of tendonitis? Guess not.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 AM

Wow really a "hell no"? That's a shame, pretty sad. Don't know the players other than portnoy and he seems alright.

Never seen or talked to him though so can't say much. Seems to appreciate fans somewhat to say the least.

As for the shirt, why not wear both? Wear dream theater wrist bands or something
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 AM

Bummer...

I've been a huge fan of Sheehan and Portnoy for quite some time, and bought some tix for the Toronto August concert which also sits less than 500 hoping to get some pictures/autographs after the show.

My understanding was that they were quite accessible for their fans, Portnoy especially. Some people I know went on the prog rock cruise shop a few months back that Portnoy organizes and everyone told me how great Portnoy was to fans and other musicians.

Maybe management was speaking on their behalf only, or perhaps it was some poorly contrived joke? I for one am hoping that's the case.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

You asked the bands management or the venues management?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You asked the bands management or the venues management?
Band management. I was quite surprised because I always heard Portnoy loved interacting with the fans.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_C View Post
I looked up Winery Dogs on Wikipedia, and my honest reaction was, is that all it takes to call your band a 'rock supergroup'? Having played in the somewhat embarrassing Mr. Big, whose hit single was, if I remember correctly, something about how much some whiny boy dislikes his friend's girlfriend?

I mean, sure, there's the Dream Theater connection, but that's not exactly Rush or even Iron Maiden (whom DT used to cover, early on), or, dare I say it, Jethro Tull on the prog-metal popularity and musicianship charts.

Maybe I'm just out of touch (gee, Nance, ya think?), but I'm not seeing the "supergroup" in that lot.
Billy Sheehan has played with far more people than just Mr Big. And he's generally regarded as one of the top rock bass players in the world.

And true, Dream Theater never sold anywhere near what Rush or Maiden did, but they did sell 10 million units world wide. And in some ways, they have far more world wild appeal compared to Rush as DT has toured all over the world many times, while Rush tends to limit their touring to North America and western Europe, aside from the Rock in Rio jaunt. Although, certainly no one approaches Maiden in world wide appeal.

Richie Kotzen is arguably the lesser known of the 3, although don't tell guitar players that. lol
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 AM

I was being a bit snide in my previous post -- sorry. I strained an old back injury yesterday, so I'm a little cranky. I apologize.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

We opened for TWD earlier this year. Don't know who told you "Aw hell NO" but I really can't imagine that to be the case. Portnoy's got some excess PSI in his ego, true.... but as far as the management for them? Gene Provencio, Portnoy's tech is a good friend of mine from way back and all their peeps are some of the nicest most gracious folks I've ever had the pleasure to "do business with".

Last I saw Portnoy I didn't speak to him, nor did he to me. If he wants to chat I'll let him be the first in. I don't do that "rockstar shit"... We're all nice people up in here.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM

I saw the Winery Dogs on the Monsters of Rock Cruise, and I enjoyed their stuff. Saw Mike Portnoy several times walking around on the ship, so he was easily accessible. I believe they had meet and greets also. (I am pretty sure all the bands did on the cruise.)

Oh yeah- I always liked Mr. Big too, lol. Pat Torpey is a great drummer and a nice guy also.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
We opened for TWD earlier this year. Don't know who told you "Aw hell NO" but I really can't imagine that to be the case. Portnoy's got some excess PSI in his ego, true.... but as far as the management for them? Gene Provencio, Portnoy's tech is a good friend of mine from way back and all their peeps are some of the nicest most gracious folks I've ever had the pleasure to "do business with".

Last I saw Portnoy I didn't speak to him, nor did he to me. If he wants to chat I'll let him be the first in. I don't do that "rockstar shit"... We're all nice people up in here.
The "hell no". Was straight from the tour manager. Portnoy may not be aware of this but that tour manager has pissed off a some dedicated fans.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:

What city did you open for them in?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:31 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
We opened for TWD earlier this year. Don't know who told you "Aw @#!*% NO" but I really can't imagine that to be the case. Portnoy's got some excess PSI in his ego, true.... but as far as the management for them? Gene Provencio, Portnoy's tech is a good friend of mine from way back and all their peeps are some of the nicest most gracious folks I've ever had the pleasure to "do business with".

Last I saw Portnoy I didn't speak to him, nor did he to me. If he wants to chat I'll let him be the first in. I don't do that "rockstar @#!*% "... We're all nice people up in here.
im a little confused by your post, you defend Portnoy then kind of say you wouldn't give him the time of day? id he a jerk or not?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
im a little confused by your post, you defend Portnoy then kind of say you wouldn't give him the time of day? id he a jerk or not?
I defend his group because they are all very nice people but yes, with me "you get what you give". Come across aloof, get that in return. Come across nice, get that in return as well.

I am always nice and would never be an outward dick to anyone unless they begged for it. Portnoy is so used to having people come up to him wanting his time that I figured I'd not be "that guy".

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Getting a "hell no" from the tour manager doesn't necessarily make the entire band "a bunch of tools". That being said,he could have worded it differently.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Getting a "hell no" from the tour manager doesn't necessarily make the entire band "a bunch of tools". That being said,he could have worded it differently.
Yes I agree. I was ticked off when I first posted. And perhaps the band is unaware of the details. Because of Portnoy's accessibility with fans combined with a small venue, it was assumed a meet and greet could take place. While there is no obligation to do so for the fans the tour manager has done no favor for the band with that attitude.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Yes I agree. I was ticked off when I first posted. And perhaps the band is unaware of the details. Because of Portnoy's accessibility with fans combined with a small venue, it was assumed a meet and greet could take place. While there is no obligation to do so for the fans the tour manager has done no favor for the band with that attitude.
Do the bands not get the final say in doing meet and greets? Why would a tour manager tell them not to do that.

Meet and greets dont do it for me personally, Ive met some of my heroes and been seriously disappointed. Id rather look at them as senior peers than demi-gods, but for those who do want to meet their idols I hate to see that they are being denied, especially when they are playing intimate venues...
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Billy Sheehan has played with far more people than just Mr Big. And he's generally regarded as one of the top rock bass players in the world.

And true, Dream Theater never sold anywhere near what Rush or Maiden did, but they did sell 10 million units world wide. And in some ways, they have far more world wild appeal compared to Rush as DT has toured all over the world many times, while Rush tends to limit their touring to North America and western Europe, aside from the Rock in Rio jaunt. Although, certainly no one approaches Maiden in world wide appeal.

Richie Kotzen is arguably the lesser known of the 3, although don't tell guitar players that. lol
The bass player/singer in my band brought up a very point about Sheehan: Can you think of a famous bass line or groove from him? Anything that you remember... Hmm, he had a point, I think he's great technically, but my bandmate is right, I couldn't (he's not a fan of his, he's into Rocco Prestia and etc.). Now to think of it, I can't think of a beat or groove that is uniquely Portnoy even though I'm also a fan.

On the flipside, (disclaimer) I'm no longer a real Rush fan, but I can think of several Peart beats and Geddy lines that are memorable. I can think of Flea, Norwood (fishbone), Stanley Clarke, and the obvious other artists and song moments off the top of my head (too many to list).
Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
Do the bands not get the final say in doing meet and greets? Why would a tour manager tell them not to do that.

Meet and greets dont do it for me personally, Ive met some of my heroes and been seriously disappointed. Id rather look at them as senior peers than demi-gods, but for those who do want to meet their idols I hate to see that they are being denied, especially when they are playing intimate venues...
Many times the band is on a tight schedule due to the increased cost of touring; longer distances between gigs, early flights, etc. Any number of things. Anyone who has worked in the music business (especially as of late) realizes how absolutely difficult it is to raise a fanbase; oftentimes it's one fan at a time and the very last thing someone wants to do is piss off a segment of it.

Tour managers are hired to "make things flow". They are responsible for all the moving parts on the tour and keeping everyone happy so sometimes they get a little overwhelmed with things. It's not an excuse to act like an ass but sometimes you get the person on a bad day, just like with any human.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM

I don't follow this band. I am not a fan of any of the bands these guys have been in. I don't have any ill will towards any of them. They are just not my cup of tea.

That said, groups are in a pretty tough spot these days. I don't think there are many groups that can rely solely on recording or composing / publishing royalties to eke out a living. Most will need to tour. IMO, this is evidenced by a lot of groups on the road that I thought I would never see perform live again.

Additional revenue can be generated by selling special meet and greet tickets allowing the holder to attend a session before / after the shows to rub elbows with the group members, have photos taken, obtain autographs, and purchase merch.

I've attended some of these where the musicians were clearly uncomfortable with the process. This could be for any number of reasons. Perhap some are introverts, some feel the process is "selling out", some might just need some alone / quiet time after leaving everything on the stage during the performance.

I don't believe my regular concert ticket entitles me to anything other than the performance. However, if I pay more for a meet and greet opportunity, I'd hope the musicians would be reasonably pleasant and open to the process.

At the risk of speaking for the WD, maybe they just don't want to be bothered and that is fine as long as they realize they ae passing up opportunities to make a little more money and perhaps engage some new fans.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 PM
The Old Hyde

one thing maybe overlooked is that to have a meet and greet, you need the space for it and its not the bands dressing room but another green room. a 200 people venue cant provide that so while the message was delivered in a rude tone, it may have come from the band on this occasion due to space.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

The Winery Dogs played here last weekend; I'm well acquainted with the monitor engineer and stage manager of the venue. Now these guys are pretty jaded and salty, but they remain quite professional and would never do anything to tick off an artist.

According to them the band, specifically Portnoy, were insufferable prima donnas who got in their faces and dissed them and the small (700 capacity) venue (which they couldn't even sell out).