DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default What I've been up to - workshop tour.

It's been months of hard work & silly long days. The workshop is converted from a single skin weatherboard barn, so literally everything had to be done. 1" ply lining, insulation, 3 phase & single phase electrics, special daylight lighting, heating, windows, doors, etc, etc. Before this could happen, I had to build another outbuilding (pictured) to house all the crap that lived in the barn!

Anyhow, this is our new finishing shop. The shell shop remains in Teeside (a much bigger facility), & all the bare shells will come from there to this little finishing shop. The finishing workshop consists of three spaces: The main shop, the parts store, & the environmental room. Although it's fairly compact, it's spacious & pleasant in it's layout. I won't describe all the pictures, as most of it is self evident. Suffice to say that everything is specifically designed for the job, including some custom machine conversion. There's a lot you can't see, such as the new super accurate tooling, & lots of small stuff that's pretty boring, but very important. There's also stuff I can't show you, because the technology, although modest, is proprietary, & hard won. Stuff like the environmental room, laser marking systems, & other stuff that's unique to how we do things. Still a few things to install, like the extraction system, but pretty much ready to roll :)

I hope all you workshop heads enjoy these. I'm taking a day off, then starting work on the showroom next :( - phew. Remember, Guru is just two guys & an apprentice. All working our arses off, & determined to succeed. I did all this work on my own, & Dean has been putting in similar work at his location with new facilities too.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What I've been up to - workshop tour.

Wow!

Amazing photos. I love the measures takes to make precision cuts and drills.
That certainly is a lot of time/money/labor invested.

Although my favorite aspect is the "shells are sleeping" sign. lol.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Do Not Enter. Shells Sleeping. That is great! If I may ask, and it doesn't cross any lines of secrecy, is this environmental room how you cure the shells? You had mentioned in another thread about Uncle Larrys kit that the drums will only sound better with time as the shells cure.

All those drums, all that hardware, all those machines, I sure hope you have some crack head Rottweilers roaming the property.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Very nice work indeed Sir. I just got an idea as to how to make an inexpensive drum. Using the lumber you have for shelving, you could make ply-stave drums. What do you think? Would they sell? Kidding of course
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Ah, the joys of a professional shop.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 PM

One never knows what one will find in a nondiscript building. Great pictures lad, thanks for sharing with us.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Don't worry, soon your wife will have her gardening gear in there. Your granite counters will be used for potting plants :)
Nice workshop Andy.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM

very tidy indeed. Love a nice shop, thank you for sharing!
Nice JET shaper too ;)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
my favorite aspect is the "shells are sleeping" sign. lol.
Haha, yes. As my family has access to the shop, I've threatened them with "a fate worse than death" of they open that door. (actually, a pretty silly saying if you think about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Do Not Enter. Shells Sleeping. That is great! If I may ask, and it doesn't cross any lines of secrecy, is this environmental room how you cure the shells? You had mentioned in another thread about Uncle Larrys kit that the drums will only sound better with time as the shells cure.

All those drums, all that hardware, all those machines, I sure hope you have some crack head Rottweilers roaming the property.
No Rottweilers, but some stout physical security, an alarm system, & two Welsh terriers with very sensitive ears. Honestly, crime here is uber rare.

As for the environmental room, it's simply designed to let shells rest after they've already been cured. Dean has a full environmental chamber in the main shell shop. That's bother temperature & humidity controlled. My room is just temperature controlled to guard agains extremes in the first few weeks after curing. What I mentioned about Larry's kit is ageing & sonic improvement over years, well after they've left our care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Very nice work indeed Sir. I just got an idea as to how to make an inexpensive drum. Using the lumber you have for shelving, you could make ply-stave drums. What do you think? Would they sell? Kidding of course
Thanks Grunt, & erm - no! Cheap option though, & I'm sure someone could put a spin on it ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
Ah, the joys of a professional shop.
Oh yes, & that's why the effort has gone in. This is only the last part of a much more complexed process, but having everything purposely designed to get the job done, really helps to get the job done, lol! :)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 PM

Killer

a granite top routing table might be the next thing on my dream list.......

for what purpose I have no idea

just love routers
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Macinnes View Post
One never knows what one will find in a nondiscript building. Great pictures lad, thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks :) Actually, the building this shop is part of, is anything but nondescript. The timber outbuilding (last picture) is the outbuilding I had to build first, to house all the crap out of the barn I converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Don't worry, soon your wife will have her gardening gear in there. Your granite counters will be used for potting plants :)
Nice workshop Andy.
Thanks Bob, a ton of work, especially on the building itself. BTW, the granite "counters" are a little more than that. Unlike kitchen counters, they're ground both sides to ensure even thickness, & they're then lapped, not polished. Flatness accuracy to within 0.01mm/Metre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG View Post
very tidy indeed. Love a nice shop, thank you for sharing!
Nice JET shaper too ;)
Ah, you noticed the Jet :) They're not a great spindle moulder, but as the basis for a router, they're superb. The cast steel bed makes an excellent platform for a more accurate engineered stone top, & the rise & fall plus the induction motor are well suited to the job. I custom made a pulley drum to take the tool speed up to 16,000rpm, & the bigger (& more accurate) bed is superb for drums up to 26".

Most builders of our size use a hobby router. This is so much better, & also so much more "hands on" compared to the CNC option. We have a full $20,000 spindle moulder in our shell shop for all of the real shaping work :)
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Just checking facts to pass on to Ian's wife, because that determines our level of hilarity. How many sheds do you have?

And for my own edification, what's the Ifor on the left? It's objectionably clean!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
the drums will only sound better with time as the shells cure.
Yes, the lignins have to harden. Think of wood like fiberglass. Wood is mainly cellulose and lignins.The cellulose can be compared to the strands of the glass fibers in fiberglass and the lignins are the "epoxy" that binds it all together. When the tree is cut, the lignins are still "wet", they haven't crystallized. When they do crystallize, the shell becomes lighter and it transmits vibrations much more readily. This can take a few years, depending on environment. Andy seems to think 2 years will be a turning point for my particular set. I've had them less than 5 months at this point.

When I got my shells they were kind of soft and warm sounding compared to my 40 YO Ludwigs. I can hear a small change in the shells already. The tone is becoming harder and more penetrating. Which is exactly what I want. It still has a long way to go but they sound slightly different to me from when I got them in September. A little harder/brighter. Which will balance the tone nicely.

Andy, great shop. Very clean. How far is it from your house? You sir are THE hardest working man I ever knew. Really, I just have to sit back in awe at the magnitude of the boundless energy you have. I mean on your own personal property, you moved like what...50 billion cubic meters of earth all with a garden spade, right?

You really are an inspiration.

Last edited by larryace; 02-06-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 AM

Very impressive. Would love to have a set up like that one day (and the skills of course).
Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Administrator - Mayor

When I was in Germany I spent some time touring Bavaria and visited a violin makers business and he had thin sheets of lumber hanging that had been "drying" for 50 years before it could be used in his instruments. Lumber will dry or age much quicker when it has been split. Beware the guy who is selling aged oak for your fireplace when you ask and he said he split it last week. That is not aged. andy have you thought of cutting your staves or blocks to be staves much earlier so they age quicker?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
Killer

a granite top routing table might be the next thing on my dream list.......

for what purpose I have no idea

just love routers
Do we need a reason to have a nice router? Nah! ;) Well, I do, but even if I didn't, I'd probably still have one for crafting cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Just checking facts to pass on to Ian's wife, because that determines our level of hilarity. How many sheds do you have?

And for my own edification, what's the Ifor on the left? It's objectionably clean!
One "shed", & that's the one in the last picture. Bit more than a shed though, don't you think? Of course, because I built it, it's built like a brick shithouse. Framing is 6" x 4". Oh, I do have two wood sheds, do they count? Erm, & a barn.

The Ifor is used for PA & lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

Andy, great shop. Very clean. How far is it from your house? You sir are THE hardest working man I ever knew. Really, I just have to sit back in awe at the magnitude of the boundless energy you have. I mean on your own personal property, what, you moved like 50 billion cubic meters of earth all with a garden spade, right?
Shop/barn is about 50ft from the house, so very convenient.

Haha, yes, I moved quite a few ton of earth & boulders, but 50 billion cubic Metres is stretching it a bit. Very proud of the new shop though. A lot of building work for sure. Happy about the machine & facility choices too, but I'm most proud of my refurbished 1950's radial arm drill :)

BTW, I don't have boundless energy. I finish work, & I'm pretty much asleep directly after eating. I do rise before 6:00 every morning though, even at weekends, unless it was a very late/heavy gig the night before. Even then, I might sleep in until 7:00. My wife hates just about everything about me :(
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Really cool.

Thanks for the pictures.
I think I saw a glimpse of my future drum set somewhere in those pictures......................

Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Nice shop Andy! I see all those lonely snare drums just sitting there waiting for a good home. ;)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice!!! It's so neat and tidy, it looks like nothing has ever been made in there.
Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yes, the lignins have to harden. Think of wood like fiberglass. Wood is mainly cellulose and lignins.The cellulose can be compared to the strands of the glass fibers in fiberglass and the lignins are the "epoxy" that binds it all together. When the tree is cut, the lignins are still "wet", they haven't crystallized. When they do crystallize, the shell becomes lighter and it transmits vibrations much more readily.
Excellent, thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
think I saw a glimpse of my future drum set somewhere in those pictures.....................
I see mine, but I only want a snare. It is the one sitting sideways with the wood hoops. I think I can still hear it ringing from the last time it was hit!

Every time I see a picture of it, my bank robbery plan gets a bit more thought out.....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:15 AM
The Old Hyde

no really sure what to say! one of the nicest shops ive seen. any issues with dust collection?

the tools, the layout, the exposed beam, the finished snares, the bins full of parts....you need a shop dog curled up in the corner though.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
andy have you thought of cutting your staves or blocks to be staves much earlier so they age quicker?
No real advantage Grunt. There's drying out/curing, then there's ageing. We already use well cured timber for our staves. Once a wood is dry, the ageing process begins, & that's not greatly assisted by being split into smaller sections. The violin maker was waiting for the wood to age, not dry out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsticks View Post
Very impressive. Would love to have a set up like that one day (and the skills of course).
Start with modification/servicing of your own drums, & build up from there. Understanding the instrument is the biggest skill of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I think I saw a glimpse of my future drum set somewhere in those pictures......................
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Nice shop Andy! I see all those lonely snare drums just sitting there waiting for a good home. ;)
Well, they are staying with friends, but they do need a god home eventually :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Very nice!!! It's so neat and tidy, it looks like nothing has ever been made in there.
Neal
True Steve. There hasn't been anything produced in this shop yet, just some shell work to prove the machines. I did tidy up for the photo's too :)

Quote:
I see mine, but I only want a snare. It is the one sitting sideways with the wood hoops. I think I can still hear it ringing from the last time it was hit!
One day my friend :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
no really sure what to say! one of the nicest shops ive seen. any issues with dust collection?

the tools, the layout, the exposed beam, the finished snares, the bins full of parts....you need a shop dog curled up in the corner though.
I have two dogs, but they're too manic to be in a shop :(

As for dust collection - yes - as in my OP, extraction system yet to be installed.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Absolutely beautiful! The drums of many drummers' dreams will be born in this workshop I'm sure.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Bit more than a shed though, don't you think? Of course, because I built it, it's built like a brick shithouse.
Definitely a bit more than a shed - I bet you don't mind going to work in the mornings! The whole set-up looks like an absolute joy.

Quote:
Oh, I do have two wood sheds, do they count?
Mrs Ian and I have a thing about two sheds. Yet again, Andy, you do not disappoint.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Andy "Two Sheds" Crosby
Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorbuckle View Post
Absolutely beautiful! The drums of many drummers' dreams will be born in this workshop I'm sure.
I'll certainly try my best to make sure that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Mrs Ian and I have a thing about two sheds. Yet again, Andy, you do not disappoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorbuckle View Post
Right - that's it! Enough of this.

I have ONE "shed", even though it's more of a proper building than a shed (it required planning permission, as it's a permanent building, whereas a shed is classified as more of a temporary structure). I have two wood stores - definitely not sheds, although their shape has some resemblance, they're built of rendered block with a stone tiled roof. I have 1 barn. Definitely not a shed. You won't find many oak framed sheds! Anyhow, it's too big for a shed.

For all our American brothers, shed obsession is a very British thing, mostly favoured by hen pecked males as a retreat from their "darling" wives + friends ;)
Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

There are other shed essentials such as whisky, telly, radio or wi-fi.

Had a boss once who boasted about having 2 sheds.

After that we called him two-sheds.

Davo
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-London View Post
There are other shed essentials such as whisky, telly, radio or wi-fi.

Had a boss once who boasted about having 2 sheds.

After that we called him two-sheds.

Davo
If I had any of those elements in our shop, I can imagine the consequences ;)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

That's the cleanest machine shop I've ever seen.I miss working in one,as I did in my 20's.I'm actually glad,there isn't any TV or whisky,as that,in any machine shop,is a recipe for disaster. Using power tool,requires 100% of your attention,and anything less can result a finger or hand,becoming seperated from your body.

I can see,clearly ,that your work enviornment,helps you an Dean turn out world class instruments.Cheers

Steve B
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

I think that if I had the property, I would build an Eco-Dome for a man-cave. It would be so awesome. Not quite as awesome as a satellite Guru workshop, but almost.

https://calearth.org/building-designs/eco-dome.html
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, that's some amazing stuff you have going Andy. Great job.

It inspires me to clean up my work area more too :-)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I can see,clearly ,that your work enviornment,helps you an Dean turn out world class instruments.Cheers

Steve B
Cheers Steve. Although this facility is spotless because it's new, it really will be kept like this. It's bright & pleasant. That's not only for my comfort, it's also to make sure I don't miss anything. Special daylight high frequency lighting, cat II reflectors to shoot light down & keep the ceiling free of glare. All like that by design. Dean's much bigger shell shop is also due a rework. Dean's just installed new lighting, & the shop will expand this year too - quite substantially actually. Customers will not be permitted into Deans shop. Just too much sensitive stuff & potentially dangerous crap going on, but they will be allowed into this shop, by appointment of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I think that if I had the property, I would build an Eco-Dome for a man-cave. It would be so awesome. Not quite as awesome as a satellite Guru workshop, but almost.

https://calearth.org/building-designs/eco-dome.html
That's a cool concept, & one I wouldn't mind living in, never mind a workshop! :)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Great looking work place. Let me know if you want to come abroad for a stay... I could use some help in the garage.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Wow, that's some amazing stuff you have going Andy. Great job.

It inspires me to clean up my work area more too :-)
Thanks Karl :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighDrummer View Post
Great looking work place. Let me know if you want to come abroad for a stay... I could use some help in the garage.
There seems to be a trend emerging here - Andy, please come & clean out my shop/garage!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Amazing workshop Andy, you have been very busy since last August... it was a project back then, now 6 months later, it's almost finished, I'm very impressed.

Is the room upstairs will be involved as part of the workshop? or a show room were punters can try/chose their drums?

Nice work Andy :)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Amazing workshop Andy, you have been very busy since last August... it was a project back then, now 6 months later, it's almost finished, I'm very impressed.

Is the room upstairs will be involved as part of the workshop? or a show room were punters can try/chose their drums?

Nice work Andy :)
Ah, yes Henri, I forgot. You've seen the inside of this barn building before conversion, so hopefully you can appreciate just how much structural change/work there has been. I don't think the additional outbuilding was built yet either (last picture) when you last visited.

Yes, the upstairs of the barn will be refurbished & will become the (modest) Guru showroom :) I'm excited by that, as it ties a good visitor experience together, but my only concern is the sound in the upstairs of the barn. If you remember, it's pretty dry & dead. I'm not sure there's a lot I can do about that with the sloping side ceiling & low height. I'm planning a hardwood floor that should brighten things up a little, but I can't do anything about ceiling height :( Target date for completion of that phase is April.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, the upstairs of the barn will be refurbished & will become the (modest) Guru showroom :) I'm excited by that, as it ties a good visitor experience together, but my only concern is the sound in the upstairs of the barn. If you remember, it's pretty dry & dead. I'm not sure there's a lot I can do about that with the sloping side ceiling & low height. I'm planning a hardwood floor that should brighten things up a little, but I can't do anything about ceiling height :( Target date for completion of that phase is April.
Possibly coat the inside of the walls with a layer of Shotcrete? I used to practice in a concrete room and man was that room alive.