DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Best sticks for traditional grip?

Hello,

I am a percussionist in high school, although I just graduated. I marched tenors during marching season and then I did snare in indoor. I noticed, however, that when practicing on snare, certain sticks seemed to feel... Better, when using traditional grip; like the system blue DC 50s, which seemed to work better at the higher angle that the left hand requires than the right hand. My favorite sticks are the Scojos, (ms5) since I prefer matched grip, but It seems as though the sticks don't work very well at the higher angle that the sticks need to be at and I have to pull my hand down to where my hand is in this awkward thumb on top grip, which is simply bad form. Basically, what I wanted to ask was, What sticks feel best for you when using traditional grip? Why do you choose that stick?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

No such thing. There's only sticks that feel better to YOU. Period.

I use a variety of sticks and I can play matched and trad. with all of them. The player controls the stick, the stick does not control the player.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
which seemed to work better at the higher angle that the left hand requires
there should be no angle difference in your stick position

...and use whatever stick you like
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,382
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

From your description I think there is a much larger issue here than stick thickness. Your technique is what concerns me. Have you sought some one-on-one instruction from a competent teacher? I ask this out of concern for the future health of your hands and arms,

Take a look at some YouTube videos of how drummers like: Jeff Queen, DaveWeckl, Tommy Igoe, Jim Chapin, Dom Famularo, Buddy Rich or Louie Bellson control the sticks. Watch the speed, power, and smooth flowing motion that they display. They all play with different weight sticks.

Just a recommendation from a guy who's closing in on 50. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Best sticks for traditional grip?

"Your technique is what concerns me. Have you sought some one-on-one instruction from a competent teacher? I ask this out of concern for the future health of your hands and arms," -Jeremy Bender

There is nothing wrong with my form. I have had three different teachers in the last three years and all three said I had great form, better than most high schoolers. I make sure to pay attention to videos of professionals like jeff queen, scott johnson, etc.

"The player controls the stick, the stick does not control the player" -Pocket-full-of-gold

I simply meant that some "feel better," but not that I can't use any pair of sticks handed to me.

"there should be no angle difference in your stick position" -Anthony Amodeo

There should be with traditional grip. That is why the grip was created. Of course, it is pertinent that the sticks be as close to the same angle as possible, but without changing to a bad form, there will be a slight difference, if maybe only by ten degrees. Here, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_SGC-AuW8

I just learned this grid, it's quite fun. But notice how the left hand is ever so slightly raised in angle on the left hand. not to much, but that is what my hands look like when I play.


Over all, my question is simple. What feels best for YOU? I'm simply curious and would like to hear some opinions I understand that for a few, it might not matter, but I'm sure all of you have some sort of preferance. I can use all sticks in trad. but there would be no reason to have different sticks if all sticks had the same feel and sound.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Dracovyrn
This message has been deleted by Dracovyrn.
  #6  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
I simply meant that some "feel better," but not that I can't use any pair of sticks handed to me.
When questions like "best stick for traditional grip?" get asked, it easy to assume you may be missing the wider point, even if you're not. There is no "best" only preference.....especially with respect to things like sticks which are chosen as much for the way they feel in individual hands as anything else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
Over all, my question is simple. What feels best for YOU?
My stick preferences have changed many times over the years, but "feel" has always been the main driver. I've used pretty much every brand, every type of wood and a wide variety of tip shapes in both wood and nylon over the years. These days I my preference is for a hickory stick somewhere between a 5A and 5B with a rounded wooden tip and a balance point "where I like it.".
But I also use maple sticks, 7A's, and 3A's depending on what I'm doing.

The choice of stick has always been dictated by both the "feel" and the playing application........not the grip. I use the same stick when playing trad grip as I do when playing matched.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM
mandrew mandrew is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

I find that for concert work, I prefer a round bead stick, like the VF SD1. for other applications, a standard bead as found on the 2B, 5A, and 5B are comfortable. It is about what feels good for you, and how you sit/stand and angle to your instruments.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
there should be no angle difference in your stick position
That's interesting. I've been noticing a difference in hand position/stick angle on various drummers all the time, it definitely looks like different angles to me (esp. the vintage drummers).

Due to the nature of trad grip, the stick is positioned differently. While the 'trad hand' has the stick at the top of the hand, it's the opposite with the 'matched hand'. So to offset this and create identical stick angles, the hands would have to be positioned at various heights. Personally I find it a bit uncomfortable to lower my trad hand for the only reason to create identical angles. There's a compromise - finding a medium position so the hands and stick position would mis-match in an identical way. You can't have your hands and stick positions identical 100% at the same time when using trad grip, that's simply impossible.

As for 'best sticks' - sure there is no such thing, you have to find out for yourself. What is working for me are the Pro Mark Todd Sucherman SD330W signature sticks. I switch between matched and trad all the time so whatever sticks I'd buy, they have to feel comfy with both grips. Plus, I prefer sticks with fast 'response', for 'finesse' (rudiment stuff). To me, those sticks give me that feel. Check them out.
Here's the manufacturer info: "Heavier weight and wider diameter. Like a 5B, but with a modified acorn-shaped tip. Great if you like a large diameter, but light weight. [The weight is enough to be punchy though.] Diameter 15.2mm / .600'', length 406mm / 16''."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,382
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

I like the sound and feel of Vic Firth's Ney Rosauro model.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
mpthomson mpthomson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 373
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
"
"there should be no angle difference in your stick position" -Anthony Amodeo

There should be with traditional grip. That is why the grip was created. Of course, it is pertinent that the sticks be as close to the same angle as possible, but without changing to a bad form, there will be a slight difference, if maybe only by ten degrees. .
I may be misunderstanding your point here, but stick angle isn't the reason that traditional grip was originally used. It's to do with the mechanics of the wrist and the difficulty of playing a drum sharply angled to the right and away from you with your left hand in a matched grip position.

In terms of sticks, no different to if I'm playing matched grip, 5A or 7A for quieter gigs. There aren't any 'best' sticks, just your personal favourites.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post

There should be with traditional grip. That is why the grip was created. Of course, it is pertinent that the sticks be as close to the same angle as possible, but without changing to a bad form, there will be a slight difference, if maybe only by ten degrees. Here, watch this video.

thats not why the grip was created.

the grip was created because of tilted drums and so the player could comfortably drop his elbow and play with the sticks even

and I'll say it again...there should be no difference in angle in your sticks.

if one chooses to create an angle difference while playing for comfort that is their choice

but if you are sitting at rest with the beads resting on the pad or drum and you have a noticeable angle difference there is a problem with your grip or arm position.

in the drum corps. I marched in they always urged us to have matching stick angles
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthomson View Post
I may be misunderstanding your point here.
You are. I precisely meant that trad. grip was first made to accomodate the slanted angle of the civil war drums, and thus physically, it was made to have a natural slant, therefore, it is bad form to be completely level because the left hand will shift backwards and have less give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
You can't have your hands and stick positions identical 100% at the same time when using trad grip, that's simply impossible.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
When questions like "best stick for traditional grip?" get asked, it easy to assume you may be missing the wider point, even if you're not ... I use the same stick when playing trad grip as I do when playing matched.
I also use the same stick for either. I want to make clear that I am asking for peoples stick preferance, simply out of curiosity. I am sorry, I understand where someone would get that confused and so I should have stated what I meant more clearly.

I will still use Ms5 sticks as my top choice, trad. or not! but I did think that the DC50 system blue sticks felt more responsive, although I didn't like the way they felt in matched.

Clearly stated, What is the Best "Feeling" sticks for You in Your Opinion when using Traditional Grip?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Due to the nature of trad grip, the stick is positioned differently.
my left stick is positioned exactly the same as my right ...just with my hand on the bottom of the stick.

no difference in position or angle

if I flip my hand to matched nothing changes about the stick.....it stays exactly where it was

as was taught to me and reenforced by some of the best players to breathe our air
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
although I didn't like the way they felt in matched.
Assuming you're a right hander, then the way in which you hold the stick in your right hand doesn't change at all.....regardless of the grip used. How can you not like the feel of a stick in your left hand, but it doesn't seem to bother you in your right? This makes little sense to me, mate.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
my left stick is positioned exactly the same as my right ...just with my hand on the bottom of the stick.

no difference in position or angle

if I flip my hand to matched nothing changes about the stick.....it stays exactly where it was

as was taught to me and reenforced by some of the best players to breathe our air
Exactly.

This was explained...and demonstrated by Steve Smith in his Drumset Techniques DVD. I'm not sure if there is a Youtube clip of it or not.

He shows both grips on the snare, and the angle between the two sticks never changes .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
the grip was created because of tilted drums and so the player could comfortably drop his elbow and play with the sticks even
I already went over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
and I'll say it again...there should be no difference in angle in your sticks.
I'm sure most have there preference. I'm not going to go as far as to tell you you're wrong, but simply that you're different. I understand the importance of having the sticks as close to the same angle as possible, but in order to have the best control, the left hand stick angle will be Very Slightly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
if one chooses to create an angle difference while playing for comfort that is their choice
Didn't you just say there should be no angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
but if you are sitting at rest with the beads resting on the pad or drum and you have a noticeable angle difference there is a problem with your grip or arm position.
All three of my teachers had masters degrees from respectable universities, and all three have said that my grip was better because I didn't pull my arm down.

I have a camera, but I don't know how to work it well. Let's see If I can make a video for ya'll to look at my grip and playstyle.

In the meantime, Stop bickering about improper form and answer the question! If you have other things to say, message me. But honestly, your talk about stick angles is only relevent in playing style, but mostly disinterests me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

just snapped a pic of how I was taught in drum corps.
and what was also reenforced by Steve Smith , Elvin Jones , Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, and Bill Platt while studying with them

notice there is no angle difference

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
How can you not like the feel of a stick in your left hand, but it doesn't seem to bother you in your right? This makes little sense to me, mate.
I meant that it didn't feel right in my right hand in trad. or both of my hands in matched. In my opinion, they were a little too responsive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
just snapped a pic of how I was taught in drum corps.
and what was also reenforced by Steve Smith , Elvin Jones , Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, and Bill Platt while studying with them

notice there is no angle difference
You never mentioned that your right hand was the one being pulled up. By the way you were arguing. most would assume you meant that the left hand had to be pulled down. But I see you meant.

Last edited by Arky; 06-06-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
  #19  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
You never mentioned that your right hand was the one being pulled up. By the way you were arguing. most would assume you meant that the left hand had to be pulled down. But I see you meant.
I never mentioned it because it's not happening

my right hand is angled down because for the bead to touch the pad my wrist has to slightly drop.

if my wrist was completely straight the shoulder of the stick would contact the pad

bad photo angle
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Plenty of great info in this thread already - thanks everybody for the discussion!
Please stay nice to each other. ;-)
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
  #21  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,382
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

This video may (or may not) help you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aAE6...9F49C1322405E7
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
This video may (or may not) help you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aAE6...9F49C1322405E7
I think people are getting a bit off topic than my original question. I do watch videos by wooton, he's a great percussionist. But he also prefer's to tilt the drum itself, which is fine, there are times where that seems more comfortable, but I keep a flat surface so that I don't have to switch the drums back and forth. I would very much appreciate it if people would just stick to the original question. I didn't come here to learn things I already know, I just wanted opinions. I will start another thread on something we can all debate about later. let's keep it simple for now.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
I think people are getting a bit off topic than my original question. I do watch videos by wooton, he's a great percussionist. But he also prefer's to tilt the drum itself, which is fine, there are times where that seems more comfortable, but I keep a flat surface so that I don't have to switch the drums back and forth. I would very much appreciate it if people would just stick to the original question. I didn't come here to learn things I already know, I just wanted opinions. I will start another thread on something we can all debate about later. let's keep it simple for now.
I think the reason no one is sticking to the original question is because the original question is ridiculous

it's like asking .......what pedal is best for playing metal?

or.....what drum heads are best for blues music ?


when you ask a question like.....what sticks are best for traditional grip?....... people automatically assume that you are very inexperienced .....and rightfully so

come with a legit question and you will get a legit answer.

simple as that

but when you ask a silly question and then cop a holier than thou attitude .....like I already know all this stuff stick to the question...not a good look .... especially a question like that

ya dig ?

just trying to help you out

,.,.....and you claim you have these amazingly qualified instructors ....ask them which stick is best for trad grip ......you will get the same response you get here....

the answer is ....use the stick that feels best for you......your grip will not determine what stick you use ......your comfort and type of playing will
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
I think the reason no one is sticking to the original question is because the original question is ridiculous

it's like asking .......what pedal is best for playing metal?

or.....what drum heads are best for blues music ?


when you ask a question like.....what sticks are best for traditional grip?....... people automatically assume that you are very inexperienced .....and rightfully so

come with a legit question and you will get a legit answer.t
Anthony, I don't quite agree here. I'm perceiving the question as 'open' and not as being posted by an inexperienced person.

(Some general remarks)
Regardless of that, threads tend to get 'dynamic' as there might be brought forward aspects that don't exactly match the topic in the thread title. But that's ok overall, it simply happens. As for _this_ thread, I think it's safe to assume by now what is on topic and what isn't. So decide for yourself whether to stick to the topic or elaborate side aspects. But do so in a nice manner please.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Anthony, I don't quite agree here. I'm perceiving the question as 'open' and not as being posted by an inexperienced person.

(Some general remarks)
Regardless of that, threads tend to get 'dynamic' as there might be brought forward aspects that don't exactly match the topic in the thread title. But that's ok overall. As for _this_ thread, I think it's safe to assume by now what is on topic and what isn't. So decide for yourself whether to stick to the topic or elaborate side aspects. But do so in a nice manner please.
you think an experienced person would ask what stick is best for traditional grip?

ok.......

I'm telling you they would not

the question is ridiculous

I'm finished wearing kid gloves and trying to tip toe around stuff that is completely ridiculous ....
especially when the person asking cops an attitude when they get good responses

so let me ask you Arky....if that is an "open" question....

what stick is best for matched grip ?

what shoes are best for metal drumming?

what cymbal felts are best for a medium K con ?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,575
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

To the original question, I think you need to explore to feel what stick works best for you. Not only size but also what type of wood. I use the SD4's the most and that's because after all of the exploration I've done, it's what is most comfortable to me.

I've worked with various VF models and recently some other brands. I keep coming back to these. That being said with some arthritis issues there are some days where no stick feels good in the traditional mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
my left stick is positioned exactly the same as my right ...just with my hand on the bottom of the stick.

no difference in position or angle

if I flip my hand to matched nothing changes about the stick.....it stays exactly where it was

as was taught to me and reenforced by some of the best players to breathe our air
This is sort of what I do as well....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Anthony, ok... ;-)

It wasn't _me_ who started this thread and it wasn't my question.

The thread is about getting some feedback and experience from other members. Do the other members have some experience on sticks that work great for trad grip? We might have a few members that could attest to that. But generally you're right in that overall, it's a preference thing. But why not ask that question and see what people might reply?

I took the thread seriously and recommended the sticks that work best for me in a trad (& matched) situation. Those might work great for the OP, too - if he has the chance or cares to check them out. I also have a few pairs of sticks that don't feel that great for trad.

As a side-effect, we also discussed about stick angles and personally, I've learned some things out of it. Including from your replies. Maybe we should simply rename the thread accordingly? (Kidding...)

As for your other thread title suggestions - some are really creative ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,372
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

What's the best drum key for metal tuning?
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

If I may add, I DID restate the question, because I want it to be more opinionated just to see what people had to say. Sort of like asking if a person perferred match or traditional. That's what arky means by being "open," that it's just an opinion.

Also, arky is an administrator, and he's being respectful about the topic, and you're just attacking him non-sensibly. I would appreciate you not to be so crude to the community here.

Now, I may not have been playing for a decade or more, but I am not inexperienced, or a beginner. I have put hours upon hours of hard work trying to perfect what I do, constantly watching videos, or learning from growing communities and people who like to experiment. I try not to stick to one thing, I am always trying to learn different approaches for the same thing, and decide what works best. I am happy with my progress, don't take that from me.

About 20 minutes ago, I went to my bathroom mirror and took the time to look at my grip from a different point of view. At about my belly button, the sticks seem to be at the same angle, unbeknownst to me because from my own eyes, they look different, which just has to deal with perception. in the mirror though, they were the same. What I noticed though, is that as the pad is lowered, to about waist and lower, the left hand could not properly reach the drum pad with having to turn in.

As for the question, maybe the grip angle never changed, but the grip certainly did, and that can effect a lot. My point being, I already made my decision, I really only wanted to see if other people really ever thought about it, or had an opinion. If you don't have an opinion, then fine, state that and be done.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

I also want to thank Arky and others for having put some real thought into it and supporting the thread, than to disect it. Maybe the question IS a little rediculous, but it can't be entirely if people answer with real consideration.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post

Also, arky is an administrator, and he's being respectful about the topic, and you're just attacking him non-sensibly. I would appreciate you not to be so crude to the community here.
I'm attacking Arky ?

listen my man Arky and I know each other well around here

I'm well aware that he is a mod....and I remember him before he was a mod...and that he became one when dogbreath resigned

I know all about his practice routine, hit practice pad kit, hit crazy looking Sonor, and his ridiculously amazing guitar playing

so don't worry about anyone "attacking" Arky .....he is a big boy ......and a great dude
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM
tamadrm
This message has been deleted by tamadrm.
  #32  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
you think an experienced person would ask what stick is best for traditional grip?

ok.......

I'm telling you they would not

the question is ridiculous

I'm finished wearing kid gloves and trying to tip toe around stuff that is completely ridiculous ....
especially when the person asking cops an attitude when they get good responses

so let me ask you Arky....if that is an "open" question....

what stick is best for matched grip ?

what shoes are best for metal drumming?

what cymbal felts are best for a medium K con ?
I have to agree with this. I was OK with the initial question, though it it did seem to be from an inexperienced player. But once the kid copped an attitude, he just came across as a... OK, I'm not gonna say it. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Anybody.......how long is a piece of string?

Where can I get 20 feet of shore line,a can of dehydrated water,a sky hook,a red left handed smoke shifter and a bucket of steam for around a buck three eighty?

I have a 2 pair of pro mark Billy Cobham 808' sticks from the 70's.Can I still use them on my brand new Ludwig super classic maple snare.They don't feel right.

I just opened up a can of ridiciolous questions and I can't wait to try them out.

Anthony and Jules,I got your back my DW bros....

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I have to agree with this. I was OK with the initial question, though it it did seem to be from an inexperienced player. But once the kid copped an attitude, he just came across as a... OK, I'm not gonna say it. ;-)
I'm not copping attitude, I was trying to keep it at the initial question without getting too off topic and going about it with a professional attitude. Now, pretty much everyone I know finds that being professional means not friendly, and I am certainly Not mean of the sort. If people would rather that I because less formal... then so be it. ya dig me bro? ;) See, about three years ago, I moved on to percussion from playing saxophone, (along with bass, guitar, singing, and piano. :P) In the last three years, I have had three different instructors in percussion. All three thought I was the best, although I personally think I'm just well rounded. to me, julissa is the best on mallets, and philip on nonpitched percussion, but I do well on all. I was really the only one other than philip who learned trad. (I taught philip) and he's alright, but I think he doesn't utilize his fingers as much as possible. So no, I don't expect that I am the best, but at the least, I know my technique is fine. If there is one thing I would really like instruction on that I never really understood, it's doiung fast triple stroke rolls and concert snare rolls. By all means, I would LOVE some advice on that subject, because right now I'm waiting for this upcoming instructor to come in to get private study on that. thanks for all the input peoples, I am a good brohemith and I just want people to get along and have fun with what they do! peace. :)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Anybody.......how long is a piece of string?

Where can I get 20 feet of shore line,a can of dehydrated water,a sky hook,a red left handed smoke shifter and a bucket of steam for around a buck three eighty?

I have a 2 pair of pro mark Billy Cobham 808' sticks from the 70's.Can I still use them on my brand new Ludwig super classic maple snare.They don't feel right.

I just opened up a can of ridiciolous questions and I can't wait to try them out.

Anthony and Jules,I got your back my DW bros....

Steve B
here, length is defined as:

1.The measurement or extent of something from end to end; the greater of the two or three dimensions of a body.

so if you take a ruler and place one on end on the starting point, and pull the string to it's full length, you will see how long a peice of string is. :D

you can get about 20 feet of shoreline at about 350 in new jersey. ;)

at MIT, they have cans of dehydrated water for sale at about $5 per bottle. ;)

I believe the sky hook is actually a parachute...

Just like being left handed with trad grip, buy a normal smoke shifter and turn in around. ;)

you can check craigslist for a bucket of steam for that cheap. ;)

as long as your sticks arent chipped and are in good condition, you can play them on your snare. if it doesn't feel right, It's possible that your head is tuned to high or too low. :P

Have a great day mate. ;P
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Actually,you did cop an attitude.Some of us here have sox older than you,so a little civility goes a long way.You still have a LOT to learn at 17,young Jedi.

Why start a thread and ask a question if you're going to disreguard the answer.?

If you would have bothered to do some research instead of telling us how many masters degrees your teachers had,you would have know that Anthony studied with some of the greats like Steve Smith and.............Elvin.

The man makes his living playing AND teaching.Some of his students have gotten into some of the most prestigious music schools in the country.He just may know EXACTLY what he's talking about.

There's nothing to argue about,I'm done.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
I'm not copping attitude,
If you believe this, then you have zero awareness of how you come across to others IMO.

I have nothing more to say, since my answer, however sincerely given, would have been poo-pooed and I would have been scolded to just answer the original question. I don't have the patience for that.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Actually,you did cop an attitude.Some of us here have sox older than you,so a little civility goes a long way.You still have a LOT to learn at 17,young Jedi.

Why start a thread and ask a question if you're going to disreguard the answer.?

If you would have bothered to do some research instead of telling us how many masters degrees your teachers had,you would have know that Anthony studied with some of the greats like Steve Smith and.............Elvin.

The man makes his living playing AND teaching.Some of his students have gotten into some of the most prestigious music schools in the country.He just may know EXACTLY what he's talking about.

There's nothing to argue about,I'm done.

Steve B
It was mostly because I wanted specific answers to a question that is strictly opinionated. It's not that I don't appreciate his input, but I didn't ask for an answer I already knew. :P it's like how I basically just wanted to see what people thought, because while I am one person, I have met many at solo and ensamble and dci who had had different ideas about this. I am one person, who actually DID ask, but I would rather not be called stupid for asking. -_- I have met many people who either had an opinion, or simply didn't care. I'm just a curious lad, you know? so I like to ask questions no matter how menial. but I didn't want, "it's a matter of preferance" because I have read many of the posts here before I decided to join and that seems to be the answer to most questions. the way I wanted the question to sound was that I wanted to see what people like YOU thought, personally, you know? I like my scojos, I like them for match OR trad, it doesn't matter, but to me, different sticks have different feelss for match or trad, IMO. So, call it ridiculous, no one has died today from me asking a question out of curiosity. (I hope, lol.) ;) I just want to see what people think about things in percussion because while I know a handful of greats, I have only reached first base. :( I understand I'm not the greatest, nor will I ever be, But that won't stop me from trying. ;) and I try to be respectful, but sometimes people come off as rude or bitter and I get defensive about that. :( that might be why you think that I was copping attitude. but if you really knew me, my entire life is based around following your dreams and having fun doing it. :D that's the best thing about being a percussionist, no? :3 or anything, really... ;D Btw, I love star wars. :3
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

This is a silly questions because each stick model ever made is basically a cylinder with specially cut ends.

A better question could have been: "Should stick diameter be a factor for a stick I will use traditional grip?"

I would think that some people's hands prefer smaller or larger diameter sticks based of hand size and joints.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Dracovyrn's Avatar
Dracovyrn Dracovyrn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 149
Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
This is a silly questions because each stick model ever made is basically a cylinder with specially cut ends.

A better question could have been: "Should stick diameter be a factor for a stick I will use traditional grip?"

I would think that some people's hands prefer smaller or larger diameter sticks based of hand size and joints.
I have actually believed it to be a sticks tip to affect it the most. :P I generally like round tips and reverse teardrop tips fro trad. and I always felt that oval tips made the sticks feel "choppy" at such an angle, do you know what I mean? I suppose a better question would be, "Should stick tip design be a factor for a sticks response and feel I will use in traditional grip?" What do you think?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com