DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Any kits you wish you had never parted with?

I figure this would be an interesting topic. What kits have you guys owned, and eventually let go for some reason or another, that you wish you still had?

In my case, I can't really give a good answer, as I have only owned a few kits, and none of which have been extraordinary.

I can say that I passed up on buying a gorgeous Mapex Pro M kit, and I wish I hadn't let that slip through my fingers.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Any kits you wish you had never parted with?

when leaving LA to move to Boston in 2001 I sold two 1967 Ludwig kits to Pro Drum shop.

a blue sparkle and a burgundy sparkle.....both mint, complete , and stamped inside the bass drum

Stan and Jerry were thrilled and I needed the money at the time

I still think about those kits and look at pictures often

just beautiful outfits that sounded fantastic
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Fortunately, I have never had to sell a kit I didn't want to part with. I've sold a few nice ones, but nothing I wish I still had. I'm happy with my lot.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Very early on (in my teens) I passed up an aqua coloured tama artstar with a really nice metal snare. I don't know how great they are I just remember playing it instore a few times and really enjoying it. I bought a different kit instead (duh).

I wouldn't sell a kit unless I had to. I've got 2 now, I guess if I bought another one then things would lean that way.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

I've only owned two kits and I still have them both.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Kits, no, but I regret selling this snare.
I wanted a vintage vibe and really love the sound of a bronze Supraphonic so I picked this up. I never quite got the sound I wanted so I put it up on eBay and while I was putting on a new head before shipping it out to its new owner I got THE sound. I knew as I boxed it up I'd regret selling it and I still do. I have a couple great snares but none of them quite do what this one could...had I trusted it. Never doubt the power of a plain old coated Ambassador... ;)
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

My last kit, as it left me drumless. Was an amalgamation of 10/12/13/14" standard Pearl Export toms, a 16" Ludwig floor tom (unknown model), 2 custom built 22x22" Keller maple kicks from Precision Drum Co., one steel Export snare, one Ludwig Acrolite snare, 10 various Sabians, 2 full sets of wind chimes (one brass, one aluminum?), an LP Rock cowbell, a Toca latin cowbell, Pearl Eliminator Powershifter pedals with Cannon wood beaters (the small ones), and one wood block. My throne was Gibralter with a short tripod. The drums (minus the snares) were all wrapped in a white camo with black lugs and hoops. All of this sat on a Pearl DR110 rack.

If the economy didn't tank, I wouldn't have gotten laid off and thus not had to sell them. 15 years I owned them, and am still mad at the economy for me having to sell them.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Kits, no, but I regret selling this snare.
I wanted a vintage vibe and really love the sound of a bronze Supraphonic so I picked this up. I never quite got the sound I wanted so I put it up on eBay and while I was putting on a new head before shipping it out to its new owner I got THE sound. I knew as I boxed it up I'd regret selling it and I still do. I have a couple great snares but none of them quite do what this one could...had I trusted it. Never doubt the power of a plain old coated Ambassador... ;)
I know exactly how that goes. I had a guitar amp for a few years. It was the top of the line amp when it came out. In fact, Alex Lifeson plays the newer model of that same amp on stage, which is said to be barely any different from the original one that I had. They actually made an Alex Lifeson signature model of the amp.

I could never quite dial in the tone that I wanted out of it, no matter what I did. Then sure enough, shortly after I put it up on Craigslist for sale, I was at a gig, and like magic, I finally got that perfect tone out of it. But a buyer was lined up, and I couldn't feel okay with telling him that it was no longer for sale. I ended up letting it go. I got a new amp, which I am happy with, overall, but I think I would probably be happier with the old one.

P.S. I ALWAYS use coated Ambassadors on my snares. I swear by them. I won't put any other head on my snare if I can help it.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Same deal. I had a blue duco Ludwig Pioneer snare -- my first snare! -- and it sounded like you think snares are supposed to. On top of which it was a very nice vintage snare. Then I sold it. Dumb, stupid, dumb dumb.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

In the late '70s I had a small '60s black oyster Ludwig kit from a pawn shop for $250. 20,12,14 with a matching wood snare that I sold when I left Hawaii to move here. Then in the '80s I bought another for $300 at the San Jose flea market. Sold it about 5-6 years later when it was still an old small kit. Either of them would be worth some coin now and be awesome for small gigs.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
In the late '70s I had a small '60s black oyster Ludwig kit from a pawn shop for $250. 20,12,14 with a matching wood snare that I sold when I left Hawaii to move here. Then in the '80s I bought another for $300 at the San Jose flea market. Sold it about 5-6 years later when it was still an old small kit. Either of them would be worth some coin now and be awesome for small gigs.
I would love to own one of those. Those sizes are great, and the Black Oyster Ludwigs are just gorgeous
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM

- Late 70's Ludwig Quadra-Plus Vistalite w/ Supra snare.
- mid-80's (?) Tama Imperial Star 19-piece.
- not a kit, but Pearl Syncussion 1 2-pad & brain synthesizer - these things are virtually non-existent now.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

First brand new kit I ever bought a good few years back.

Honey Amber Mapex M Pro...by the time the band split up I'd spent about 2k on that kit. Quality cymbals, extra toms, even microphones. The lot.

Was really upset at band split and threw them on Ebay...sold for 650.

The guy had no way of picking them up, he was a student living with parents just learning drums so I offered to meet him half way (he was in South Wales...about 3-4 hours from me). He had no car.

Sod it, I'll deliver them.

Booked a day off work, loaded the car, arrived down there....he met me at the door, we unloaded them, he said goodbye. Didn't invite me in for a coffee, offer me the toilet, anything.

The coldest reminder of the ignorant side of human nature I've ever had.

I hope they fell apart shortly thereafter.

Other than that...I had a Premier Royale...I loved that kit. Don't know what ever happened to it to be honest. A mate borrowed it when I was out of bands. Never saw it again. HANG ON THOUGH. That mate is the guitarist in the current band......which reminds me....
Old 06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Sold about 5 of them over the years. Two were pro-drums (1980's Recording Custom and 1980's Broadcasters) the other 3 were junk. I don't regret any of it. I love what I have today. I'm in drum and cymbal utopia.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

My first acoustic kit, a 1987 premier projector in hot red wrap, 20x18, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12 and 16x16 with a 2005 14x8 paralell action snare in natural birch. Birch shells with re-rings. It never sounded the way I wanted it to, but that, I have discovered was down to me being, at that time, rubbish at tuning and using pinstripes (I prefer emperors or G2s). Sold it to finance a blonde Tama rockstar custom, which onkly klasted a few years. I spend odd moments trawling ebay in the hope of finding one similar, but it never happens! My wife would kill me in any case.

That said, the ultimate end to this was me selling the rockstar and financing my current MAPEX SATURN which a absolutely love, and can tune too!

Still wish I hadn't sold that snare though... :-(
Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

I much regret selling my Corder (now Fibes) kit: 22x14, 16x16, 13x9, 14x8 (snare). I was tired of having a kit no one had heard of (stupid). So I traded it in on a Mapex M Series, the first of five kits I bought at Scott's Drum Center in Lafayette, Louisiana. They kept it there for a long time, using it for lessons, but they eventually sold it. I like what I have now, but I wish I still had that kit. Peace and goodwill.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

My father bought me my first snare when I was in High School. It was a suprise drum, so I had no input on it It was a late 60's Roger Dynasonic 5x14 chrome over brass snare. Top of the line at the time. I never liked it, but I never had a drum teacher that ever explained how to set up a snare properly. It sounded terrible, mostly because I did everything wrong to it! Years later I sold it in absolutely mint condition; no, better than mint! It was factory unboxing clean! Boy, how I wish I had it back now!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Oh my; I regret parting with 3 kits:

1) Ludwig Hollywood-Pink Champaign Sparkle -simply classic

2) Fibes-Fiber glass with a gold metal covering -loud but rich tone

3) Grestch -From the early 80's - Considered vintage now (as are the Ludwig) 18" bass drum with 12" tom and 14" floor - I also had a Ludwig 51/4 Ludwig supraphonic with that kit.

The Grestch kit was the most versatile and very portable and the Ludwig’s were gorgeous and warm.

I think I would like to have the Ludwig's back. They had the sliding tom holder on the bass as well as a cymbal stand, very cool look and practicle as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

None, but this is why I struggle with selling anything.

In theory I want to sell one of my kits so I can afford another kit, but I can't bring myself to actually sell.

The only kit I miss was a vintage 1960's era Ludwig with a 20" bass drum. I bought it, cleaned it up, stated restoring it, and it turns out I had purchased stolen property and had to give it back to it's rightful owner. But the owner gave me $75 for my labor for cleaning it for him, so it wasn't all bad. But I wish I had those drums!

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 06-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

I sold a Rogers 1968 grey pearl kit when I gave up playing back in 1983. Still the best kit I ever owned. Or is it just nostalgia?

I have a Mapex maple now and its a good kit. Bulletproof, but missing that pixiedust that the Rogers had.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

All of them?

In high school circa 1967 I had a big ass Slingerland red sparkle kick.

At the time I didn't know how cool it was :)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Last year when the Best Buy near me was closing down, they were selling a PDP X7 kit for $499 (or $399, I don't remember) and I didn't buy it :(

I didn't need it, and it was red sparkle (which I'm not crazy about), but I still regret passing up a 3up/2dn maple kit at that price.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

The only kit I absolutely regret losing was a Rogers in white marine pearl. It was my very first kit, which my grandparents bought used in 1976.

I foolishly sold it because I wanted a bigger kit. I had no idea at the time how good Rogers drums were, having really only heard of Ludwig, Slingerland and Pearl (from the back of Kiss records, no less! "Kiss uses Gibson guitars and Pearl drums because they want the best.").

I do regret parting with a few snares, too. Among these - a 5 X 14 Rogers Dynasonic, a 6.5 X 14 custom snare with Dynasonic hardware built on an Eames shell, a 6.5 X 14 Pearl bell brass, and a Slingerland 5 X 14 maple snare.

I don't think I'll ever sell another snare drum.

I also regret having my 6.5 X 14 Supraphonic powder coated when the chrome pitted badly. I had a hammered type finish put on it, and it has never sounded the same.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM

Yamaha Birch custom absolute nouveau yellow sparkle fade. 5x14,8x10,8x12,14x10 16x20. Sold it for $1K approximately.

Also sold an 18" kick oak custom kit.

Looking for a 20" kick, Sonor Ascent kit at a bargain....
(I know,I know-that will be hard....)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I sold a Rogers 1968 grey pearl kit when I gave up playing back in 1983.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
The only kit I absolutely regret losing was a Rogers in white marine pearl. It was my very first kit, which my grandparents bought used in 1976.
I sold a Rogers too - standard sizes in Pacific Blue, bought 1979.

Sold to a session drummer as a practice kit for SFA, just to save some space in 2006 (six months before being offered a gig after the best part of a decade away from music). That kit and I went to hell and back in the feral gigging scene of the late 70s and early / mid 80s.

Great Dynasonic snare, which I should have kept. I imagine it was a good kit but it's hard to know since I had bedding in the kick and the toms were tuned and muffled to sound like cardboard boxes, as was the fashion at the time.They seemed to be good quality cardboard boxes ...
Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Gold Member

Just this, 95ish Pearl Export. This was my first real kit, it started off as a basic 5 pc and then I just kept on adding to it. 8,10,12,14,15 rack toms? cant really remember though, and 16 18 floor toms 22 bass drums and the cheesy stock snare.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

I used to have one of these, my first set, from 1985-1987. So sorry I ever got rid of it.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

I have a few drum sets that I regret selling and I will list them below:

My first professional drum set , Ihad originally purchased a brand new 1978 Gretsch Natural Maple lacquer kit in 18 bass 12" mounted tom and 14" floor tom with matching wood shell snare drum. I bought 6",8" and 10" double headed toms and a 16" floor tom and a 22" bass drum. I used that kit from 1978 to about 1989. I could cover just about any gig I was called for with that kit.

Second - A Pre-YESS Yamaha Recording Custom in Cherrywood lacquer 22/10/12/14 - outstanding drums , very easy to tune. The bass drum was the only drum I found a bit weak.

Third - 1971 Stop sign badge WMP Gretsch kit 20/13/16 - best bass drum I have ever owned. I really came to love the 20/13/16 configuration a lot because of this kit. Very versatile.

I have owned other kits ( DW Collectors; DW Jazz; Yamaha Recording Custom Apple Srparkle fade lacquer; Wells Custom drums ) and don't regret selling any of them to be honest.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

I've got to dig up the old catalogs and pictures but I sold a 1972 Gretach Chrome monster set when I was 16 to buy a car! Sadness. A couple years later I bought a 1975 blue vista lite ludwig 9 piece set, including a beautiful chrome supra!. I sold it in 1982 because I was dealing with a medical condition I did not know would ever end. I recently talked to a guy that buys and sells used drums and figured I could get 3000-4000 for those ludwigs now.

Both those old sets were awesome and expensive. Both better than the drums I have now, with the exception of the hardware. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

This thread just depressed the hell out of me.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM
"Uncle Larry"

In 1976, I bought a brand new blue oyster pearl Ludwig set 24/12/14/16/18 with a 14 x 5 Supra included. It was the last year they made sets with re-rings and clear interiors. It came with 2 atlas cymbal stands, a hi hat stand, a snare stand and a speed king pedal, all for $835.00 USD. Sold it for $100.00 in 1982. (punches self in face numerous times, then kicks self in groin for good measure)

I wish I knew how to tune then because I thought the kit was a dog. The bearing edges had hills and valleys. Little did I know that these kits require a higher tuning to make sure the heads contact the edges at all points. I remember having dead spots on the heads, and I couldn't get the tone I wanted. My MIJ Stewarts tuned up easier than the Luds. But it was all my lack of eperience.

It was that kit that set me on a quest for the most precision drum I could get. My next kit was a set of straight shelled birch Eames, which totally satisfied me. I still have the Eames, they are on permanent loan to a good friend of mine. But man, those Ludwigs would fetch close to 3 grand had I kept them.

Thanks for the reminder lol.

It's all good though. Dumb mistakes are a vital part in forming one's perspective.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 PM

i sold a 9 pc Slingerland Concert\Power tom black drumset from the mid 70's that i owned for over 20 years a few years ago.... 6,8,10,12,13,14,16,18,24 i regreat selling it, not that i ever played it but i owned it for so long it was part of me. I would love to know where it went? i sold it to Guitar Center in Santa Clara, California about 2003.... only thing i know about where it went was the guy that bought it traded Guitar Center his Tama candy apple red kit for it about 5 weeks after i sold it too them.