DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Default 50's Style Crash/Ride Cymbal

Hi all, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a vintage cymbal which I can use to crash as well as ride.

I'm looking for a cymbal which has that sound, think....Charles Conner on Little Richard's Keep A knockin, Jerry Allison (Buddy Holly), Brian Bennett (Eddie Cochran), Mel Taylor (Ventures Live in Japan), Bob Bennett (The Sonics) Jerry Lee Lewis live at the star club (Barrie Jenkins on drums I believe). A slightly washy sound but still a little bit of definition.

I can't find what kind of cymbals these guys played in the respective groups, but I know most of them just had a hi hat plus one cymbal setup.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 50's Style Crash/Ride Cymbal

Fair chance that Zildjian A's would've be heard on a vast majority of the ground you've covered there. There weren't nearly as many choices then as there is these days and at the time, an Avedis was certainly one of the most popular.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks very much for the advice, am I right in thinking Zildjain A is short for Zildjain Avedis? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to cymbals....thanks again
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

It's more the other way around as in Avedis Zildjian,aka A Zildjian.Try the A 21" Sweet Ride.

Steve B
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, check out some of the Zildjian A series.

Maybe the Zildjian Armand line as well since that was supposed to replicate the older A cymbals...a little thinner than the regular A series cymbals I believe.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

I think Mel Taylor used only one cymbal on the Live In Japan recording. It looked like an 18" in the footage. the kit was pretty small, with I think a 20" bass drum so it could have even been a 16.

Maybe a Zildjian, and they were pretty thin back then, so I'd look into the Thin (or Paper Thin these days) weight.
It could also be a Paiste FO. 602, because it has a pretty glassy, even ssshhh sound.

Back in those days, it seems that cymbals were on the small side, and 18" was kind of "big".

I'd look for any 16-18" cymbal that gives you the kind of vibe you are after, regardless of brand.

LOVE Mel Taylor's drumming. Seeing that footage was what knocked me over the edge to use fewer cymbals in my set up--actually do it, and stop thinking about it that is :-)

Good luck finding your sounds!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I'll bet you are aware...but...

The sound you are hearing is the recording.

Keep in mind that the recording tech is very different now...freq range capture was more restricted when those recordings were made...so their cymbal will sound more frequency compressed than it would have live.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Try to find an 18'' Zildjian K Ride. I think it's exactly what you're looking for, and at the very least, an incredibly versatile cymbal.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, I do appreciate them.

I've found a few Zildjian Avedis crash/rides on ebay with an attached soundfile which certainly is the sound I'm after, just a case of saving up now and selling what I can to be able to afford one, I'm in England and it's in USA so the cost, shipping and customs all add up!

KarlCrafton - Definitely, that video switched me on to 'less is more' and it dawned on me at my last gig that I don't need a crash and a ride, because our sound is very garage/lo fi, and I can get away with just the one cymbal. Plus it helps the image side and means I don't need as much space at gigs (our gigs are always cramped!)

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW Carbert View Post
just a case of saving up now and selling what I can to be able to afford one,
Don't discount used cymbals either. Especially any A's from the 60's or 70's that you may come across for a fair price as they may have more of that vintage vibe that is a little closer to what you're hearing on those recordings.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig J View Post
Try to find an 18'' Zildjian K Ride. I think it's exactly what you're looking for, and at the very least, an incredibly versatile cymbal.
+1 I have a Heavy one. It is pretty amazing.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Don't discount used cymbals either. Especially any A's from the 60's or 70's that you may come across for a fair price as they may have more of that vintage vibe that is a little closer to what you're hearing on those recordings.
Definitely, the one I'm looking at is a 1960's 18" Zildjian Avedis crash/ride, I've listened to the soundfile of it and it sounds like the one