DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Default New Drummer Help

Im looking at starting drumming and been looking locally about buying a kit, i dont really have much idea what im suppose to be looking for so could someone tell me if this is a good deal and be appropriate for a beginner?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/dr...trars/97494617

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Re: New Drummer Help

So that would be about $500.00 then, right? That seems like a pretty fair deal. There seem to be quite a few bells and whistles that aren't really necessary for someone just starting to play drums, but it still seems like a good deal.

-Kyle
Old 03-23-2012, 03:20 PM

For 300 and just starting out you can't go wrong.

Have a good look at it in person and go for it!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks guys, is there anything i should be looking out for when buying used though?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB26 View Post
Thanks guys, is there anything i should be looking out for when buying used though?
There's a good chance the heads will be trashed (dented, possibly busted) but that's fairly normal for a used kit, and you'll most likely be replacing them soon anyway. Check the drum shells to make sure they aren't cracked or damaged (look inside the drum as well if you can.) Check to make sure that all the tension rods are in place, along with their swivel nuts (the threaded receiver that the tension rods screw into.) If some of them are bent or damaged, it's easy to replace them, but it just might give you some bargaining power with the seller. ("300?!? Look at what I'm gonna have to replace! Can we go 250?" ;) )

Good luck to you!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

That's a lot of kit / extra's for the money, hard to tell how old it is from the photo but some of the older Pearl kits the screws that tighten up the toms doesn't tighten them up very much as teh threads been stripped and every time you hit the tom it swivels a bit, takes about a song for it to be totally out of place but if this does happen it'll pee you off so much you won't believe it !!!
Check all the screws the hardware and it that's a set of roto toms in the pic and they're included and you want to sell them just let me know :-)
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, ive contacted the seller, he doesnt seem to think theres anything wrong with it and says its good enough to gig, but im gonna go check it out tomorrow and pick it up if it looks good.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The set looks oK for 300.00 but I would offer some advice. Put the set aside except for the snare and the bass drum for a while and learn the rudiments first. Find a teacher and don't try to be a rock star in the first week. As for the bells and whistles, put them aside also and save them until you can play the rudiments very cleanly with some bass drum for rhythm. Then as you progress you can add drums. When I first started lessons for about 6 weeks I never saw a drum, just a practice pad.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The set looks oK for 300.00 but I would offer some advice. Put the set aside except for the snare and the bass drum for a while and learn the rudiments first. Find a teacher and don't try to be a rock star in the first week. As for the bells and whistles, put them aside also and save them until you can play the rudiments very cleanly with some bass drum for rhythm. Then as you progress you can add drums. When I first started lessons for about 6 weeks I never saw a drum, just a practice pad.
Thanks, are there any online resources or good books you can recommend to help get the basics down?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

40 Essential Drum Rudiments
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

This site is great as well runs throgh the rudiments on teh snare and also shows application to the kit
http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

Tommy Igoe's DVD - Great Hands For A Lifetime
Benny Greb's DVD - The Language of Drumming

A Book called Stick Control

That lot should keep you busy for the next 5 years or so :-)

If you are just starting out a teacher is by far the best way to go though !!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM

Definitely check out all of Witterings suggested materials. Another good thing to get is Jojo Mayer's DVD secret weapons for the modern drummer: a guide to hand technique. It's $35 or so and it's well WORTH it. It will prevent you from developing any bad habits and help you understand the physics of drumming.

And of course, remember to PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME. I ignored the metronome for years and now I have to play catch up on everything. The metronome will help you build a solid foundation of time. It does get boring practicing exercises to a metronome but try to see it as meditation. Let the repetitive sound put you in a mental trance. It will help make your practices more focused and your precision will increase more quickly.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Thanks guys I definitely need something to help me pick this stuff us. I thought I had some rhythm and coordination but i clearly thought wrong, with a drum in front of me I loose the ability to do anything, this could take a while haha