DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Changed heads and tuned the DWs... Opinions? (video inside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5MF7xQdy6I

Curious what you guys think about the sound of the DW Collectors in the video above. I listed what heads and stuff I'm using in the video description and list the drums sizes in the video itself.

I'm close to playing my first original gig with a new hard rock band and am tweaking my DWs to fit that style. Thoughts and opinions are welcomed!!!!

Chris
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Changed heads and tuned the DWs... Opinions? (video inside)

I think the DW's sounded great. Nice tone and very little overtones from what I could tell. Snare was ok, a little dry and the tonality was subdued somewhat. I like to hear more of a "pop" sound from my snare, but that's just my opinion and really doesn't mean a thing. If you like it and it works, that's all that matters. Great job!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Thump, sounds pretty good! The bass drum is very dry and has a nice.. err... thump. For rock, it's great! The snare and floor tom sounded fine, but the rack tom has too much of a downward pitch bend as it rings out. Try a teensy turn on each lug of the reso head, which will bring up the overall pitch, and should make the drum's pitch more "linear". If this doesn't happen, well, the drum is probably just tuned too low overall, and you may need to tighten the batter head as well.

As they are, the floor tom and rack tom are about a fourth apart, in terms of pitch. If you like how they sound when played together, then you'll need to bring up the floor tom by the same amount that the rack tom is raised.

Tuning the tom and floor tom to a fifth will sound good in a rock context, too. You can usually tune a 16" floor tom to an E, and a 12" rack tom to a B. Obviously, a drum's pitch will bend somewhat as it sustains, so we're talking approximations here.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

Sounds good but for whats its worth Aquarian studio x heads on the toms would take just a bit of the high harmonic overtones away with very little change to the tone or resonance.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback! I took most of the advice here and tweaked a few things this morning. I think the bass is a little too dead sounding. I got down in front and made an adjustment to a single bass drum tension rod and it made a world of difference. The bass drum rings out a bit more now and doesn't sound as flat!

I also tuned the snare up a bit and brought the reso head on the rack tom up to stop some of that downward pitch bend effect.

I think I have it sounding pretty darn nice right now, but of course, I'm too lazy to make another video at the moment. LOL