DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Gear that actually got damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I could gig my Pearls and sound just as good. It's partly a vanity thing. If you have it flaunt it. However I am not trying to say there's a right and wrong here. I think it's safe to say that most gear gets damaged:

1. By well meaning "helpers"
2. By the drummer themselves, bumping into stuff
3. Other band members
4. Patrons

Everybody OK w/ that?
Now multiply those four issues with the amount of drummers, band members, patrons and the good samaritans just willing to help, lol.

Dennis
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
Now, I follow the advice I got here (forgot who said it, but awesome advice) and I take my throne away when I'm not behind the kit. If you can't sit behind the kit, you're less likely to try and play it if I'm not there to stop you.
Genius!! I always pack away my sticks for the same reason
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 AM
BigSteve

The only damage I have ever had has been done by me...I dropped my Paiste Signature crash on it's edge right on the leg of a cymbal stand. Left a nice dent on the edge of the cymbal. It has never cracked though.

Even so, it still doesn't stop me from worrying a little about my gear depending on where I might take it.

I like the advice given below...good stuff.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW
Now, I follow the advice I got here (forgot who said it, but awesome advice) and I take my throne away when I'm not behind the kit. If you can't sit behind the kit, you're less likely to try and play it if I'm not there to stop you.

Genius!! I always pack away my sticks for the same reason
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Done most of my gigginbg as a guitar player, so no drum damage yet.

However, in my experience, shit happens all the time. Like every gig there`s something or almost something. Any gig where a drunk member of the audience can have access to the stage I wouldn`t even consider bringing the good kit. Simply out of the question.

I used to bring my $5000 guitar amp because it was the only amp I had, but it was as far back on the stage as possible and noone else touched it unless I had put it in it`s flight case and I needed help carrying it. Guitar for about the same price, never leaves my sight. I`ve had a fair amount of people stepping on my pedals and in return their butts have gotten a not so friendly encounter with the toes of my right shoe.

Reality is simply that I don`t do those kinds of gigs anymore. Simply gives me no enjoyment and there`s so little money in it these days that I don`t see the point. So I mainly teach and do the few gigs that actually give me some enjoyment.

Even if I bring a cheap kit I`m still gonna give it my best care. It`s my instrument. This isn`t just about something being mine and my property, but it`s also about the environment and being a conscious consumer and appreciating and caring for eachother, our planet and what we have.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

I've had my bass drum dropped while being carried, infact I think all of my drums have been dropped at some stage or another by people who where trying to be helpful, which i was semi thankful for.
I've played outside in quite a downpour and high winds that caused some cymbal fainting.

On the other hand, I have kicked over a Fender Stratocaster..by accident. Knocked over a keyboard again by accident and knocked over some peavy bass thing...Not all on the same night I might add but people seem to like storing their gear on my exit path from the kit.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Just think of how so many drums, cymbals could have been saved when you take booze out of the equation.

These reminiscences are a good idea for a book. "If Drums Could Talk". Too bad Keith Moon is around to write the forward.
Booze....and hypnotists! In '81 I was playing a summer season show at a theatre in Skegness (UK members will all shake their heads at this point - as seaside resorts go Skeggy isn't exactly A list...) so my kit was set up nice and snug in the orchestra pit.

One night after the main evening show the theatre laid on an extra late night spot by a Stage Hypnotist, just him and backing tracks. He got audience members up on stage, hypnotised them into doing foolish stuff, all very hilarious for a late night crowd - especially when a hypnotised punter walked off stage and fell into the orchestra pit...

Luckily he landed on the drum stool first and then fell against the kit so it was just pushed over rather than crushed. Nice mess to find when I arrived the next evening! Amazingly no damage. The punter fractured his ribs apparently. No sympathy from me!
PS the Hypnotist moved on after a string of complaints.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 AM

My worst loss at a gig was a brand new Paiste Signature 18" Fast Crash that was knocked over by my guitar player's drunken (and soon to be ex) wife who immediately denied any wrong doing. Huge dent on the edge of a brand new and very expensive cymbal with a two inch crack right in the middle of the dent. Ugh. Hole drilled at end of crack but it only spread after playing some more. Ended up ebaying for much less than original price. Lesson learned? No one on stage but band members and crew.