DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Default Audition tonight - feeling ok about it

I have an audition tonight with a fairly well-known rock-blues-funk-jazz-pop covers band in the area. What's interesting about this band is the three man horn secion - trumpet, trombone, and sax - all have masters in music degrees and the drummer they are replacing is in the UNT One O'Clock Lab band.

I have to audition on three songs: "Make Me Smile" by Chicago, "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, and "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra.

I feel good about Sinatra's and Wonder's charts, but I'm a bit shakey on Chicago's. No wonder, look who played drums on it, Danny Seraphine. He did amazing things on this song. There is no way I can replicate what he did, but I'm just going for the KISS method and stay in the pocket.

Here are the MP3's and two of the charts.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf I Wish - Drums.pdf (37.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: pdf MakeMeSmile - Drums.pdf (53.5 KB, 138 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 Make Me Smile.mp3 (4.06 MB, 129 views)
File Type: mp3 06 I Wish.mp3 (3.83 MB, 127 views)
File Type: mp3 The Way You Look Tonight.mp3 (3.11 MB, 114 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Audition tonight - feeling ok about it

you will be fine......

stay relaxed and flow brother......just do you.....

you will nail it
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

are you going to do that "signature" drum solo in make me smile just like the original?

good luck to you!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good gig! Break a leg!

They're probably looking for someone who can stay with the chart, keep steady time, and has good feel. I doubt they're very particular about the fills or voicings, as long as they're "in the bag" stylistically. Mostly, they want someone who doesn't require rehearsal! :)

In "I Wish" I would ask them if they'd like for you to "hit" with the horns on every single one of those figures, but probably they'd just like a straightforward interpretation as per the recording. On the Stevie Wonder recording, there is a hi-hat overdub in addition to the drum tracks, so you can't be expected to cop that part verbatim. The hi-hat pattern on the chart is a bit busy, IMO, and the bass drum figure is a bit off, too. I would play the bass drum pattern as per the recording, 8ths on the hi-hat, plus 16ths (swung) on the "ah" of beat 2 and the "ah" of beat 4, more or less. Circle which horn figures the drummer (it's Stevie, right?) nails on the recording.

I wish (no pun intended) more bands were as organized as these guys!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

I'm not even going to attempt it, Dairy. I may do a very simple fill or play straight through doing some stuff on the snare / hats. I got these songs late last Friday and didn't really have time to work it up like I wanted. My weakest thing is my right foot on the bass, so I'll probably keep it simpe and straight. There is however, a two bar solo at the beginning of the song along about measure 12 I plan on doing.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
I'm not even going to attempt it, Dairy. I may do a very simple fill or play straight through doing some stuff on the snare / hats. I got these songs late last Friday and didn't really have time to work it up like I wanted. My weakest thing is my right foot on the bass, so I'll probably keep it simpe and straight. There is however, a two bar solo at the beginning of the song along about measure 12 I plan on doing.
well, i hope you kill it! i used to agonize over that song a long time ago when i was a kid. for me it was like the holy grail of drumming!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

I need to report back on this audition and to bring closure to something kinda disturnbing. I got to the bass guitar player's house about 15 minutes early as I was instructed to do so and got a chance to sit and listen to the audition right before me. That drummer was good. Very good in fact. But too much - too many fills and too busy for my taste. Anyway....

They played the three audition songs plus went ahead and played "Wrap it Up" by The Fabulous Thunderbirds. The drummer did ok on it.

My audition time came up and I adjusted the 4 piece Pearl kit already set up. It was then they told me I was the last one to audition and that 1/2 the band members weren't going to be there. Missing was the lead singer, the sax player, and the trombone player. So it was just the 3 guitar players and the trumpet player. One of the backup singers "tried" to sing lead, but kept dropping out, fumbling his music and guitar, singing very soft, etc. One of the songs was a Sinatra song, so it involved a lot of singing, which he couldn't do. He also didn't sing on the Seveie Wonder song, which also includes a lot of vocals.

I learned the charts and tried to memorize the charts based on the vocal parts, which I now realize was a stupid mistake on my part.

On all 3 songs, since 1/2 the band wasn't there, there were a lot of empty places where nobody was playing EXCEPT me. And after making comments before the audition about it being okay if the charts aren't read or played exactly, after we palyed Chicago's song, these guys made it a point to make it known they love to throw that song in "because it's difficult"

I thought, yeah, no shit. It's even more difficult since half the friggin' band ain't here fellas.

In all, I'm frustated and more that a little peeved. I'm frustrated at my own playing, but more ticked than anything because I spent 4 days learning their 3 audition songs and then they have the balls to think it's okay for 1/2 the band not to show up. And really, the excuses they gave for their missing bandmates was totally lame and worthless in my humble opinion. My audition time was scheduled a week in advance.

If the band expects me to be prepared, then I expect all of them to show up prepared. I'm auditioning them as much as they are auditioning me. As far as I'm concerned, they left A LOT to be desired. I was less than impressed. Even with all of their friggin' masters degrees.

Anyway, my search for a band continues.....LOL