DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM
nhzoso

Default 1st gig on sat. 19th

Well it has finally come, after playing around for 5 yrs I have my 1st gig this sat. It's a short one only 23 songs but it seems the closer we get the more I screw up at practices. Songs that i normally play without thinking I am royally screwing up.We have one more practice on thursday then it's show time and I am starting to freak out. I think I just need to screw up once and get it over with. Most of the people are friends but have never heard me play but still I am nervous. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1st gig on sat. 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Any suggestions?
Listen intently.
Lock in with your bass player.
Make eye contact with the other muso's....especially if your on stage sound leaves a lot to be desired.
Play as you've been practising (minus the mistakes, of course)
Enjoy yourself and have fun. :-)
Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

I have played hundreds of shows and still make mistakes, sometimes its me and sometimes its the other musicians. I have yet played a perfect show. Just relax make sure you are warmed up. and don't drink to relax!! And do what Pocket Full of Gold said. One more thing,
Have Fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

Enjoy yourself! Smile! Look like you're enjoying yourself.

Don't make too big of a thing of it, it's just one of about a zillion gigs you're gonna play.

Good times, good luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

mistakes are normal at gigs. i make them, and so does everybody else. the thing you gotta do is just blow right through them like nothing happened and 9 times out of 10 no one will even notice. whatever you do, don't stop playing or make a face like you know you screwed up. just keep the beat going!

last year i dropped my left stick on the floor at an important gig with a big crowd. i fished it off the floor with my left hand while playing backbeats with my right. after the show i was telling everyone how embarrassed i was about the whole thing and no one knew what i was talking about. not even my own band members noticed it.

i'm not saying be slack and don't practice because it doesn't matter. i'm just saying that if your overall performance is good no one will really care too much about a couple of minor screw ups, if they even notice them.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on what the rest of the guys said, plus, remember the usual way of things is bad practice = great gig! Make a consious effort to play well below your ability. Concentrate on the groove, that's the only thing the audience will lock in to. If you're dreading an arkward fill, miss it out. Never be tempted to put in extra stuff, or show off your chops to your friends. Tempo control is key, especially at the start of the gig. Try to kick off the first couple of songs slightly slower than you would normally. You'll find they actually come out about right. As the other guys said, smile, keep your head up and enjoy the vibe with your band mates. If you're having fun, there's a good chance the audience will too.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM

You're losing your virginity. Ummm... don't expect to be an allstar the first time and it only get's better the more you do it =P
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
larryace
This message has been deleted by larryace.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Think in terms of the big picture, make your focus as large as possible, see everyone and everything, and whatever you do, don't retreat to your own little world. Ears and eyes WIDE OPEN. Big Picture. Be an open conduit for the music to flow through you.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
... it seems the closer we get the more I screw up at practices...I am starting to freak out.
These two things are related. Let go. It's your first gig, but it won't be your last. Spend the next week telling yourself, "I'm a good drummer and I know these songs inside and out." Keep saying it. Mean it.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 AM

Hey Dairyairman,

I hate to correct you, but not EVERYONE makes mistakes. I never have.
Oh, I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong! (heh heh)

Hey Nhzoso- my advice (for what it's worth) on the 1st gig. Rehearse, Try, and incorporate the "I really don't give a crap if they like me or not" syndrome at the gig- relaxes the hell outta ya. (works for me, anyway)
kick some ass on that gig, and let us know later.

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
nhzoso

Thanks guys I really appreciate the tips. I will let you know how it goes today. I hope to have a camcorder there but if not I have my little tascam audio recorder. The thing that scares me the most is we al practice in my basement so i can hear everyone but this is gonna be outdoors and I just hope the difference in sound is not so different as it will throw me off.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's a short one only 23 songs but it seems the closer we get the more I screw up at practices.
Lolz. Our first "gig" as it were we played 2 songs.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Everyone expects me to mess up, so I make sure I throw in plenty of mistakes so I don't disappoint anyone.

The more you worry about messing up, the more likely you will. If you do mess up, don't do like I used to and make an awful face like I had just swallowed a rotten prune.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Lolz. Our first "gig" as it were we played 2 songs.
I was thinking the same, 23 songs is a huge set.

Good luck for tonight nhzoso
Old 06-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by last man to bat View Post
I was thinking the same, 23 songs is a huge set.

Good luck for tonight nhzoso
I know! I was wondering if I was the only one to catch that part. I've played quite a few gigs with various folks and my longest set ever was maybe 12-15 songs.

Good luck dude! Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Well it has finally come, after playing around for 5 yrs I have my 1st gig this sat. It's a short one only 23 songs but it seems the closer we get the more I screw up at practices. Songs that i normally play without thinking I am royally screwing up.We have one more practice on thursday then it's show time and I am starting to freak out. I think I just need to screw up once and get it over with. Most of the people are friends but have never heard me play but still I am nervous. Any suggestions?
It's hard to do but quit thinking. Try to just play. Lock in with the bass player and keep your eyes and ears open. Most of all HAVE FUN!

Most of us are much harder on ourselves than than the audience. If you do happen to make a mistake most people won't notice anyway. I've played gigs where I thought I sucked and people have said they really liked it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

How did it work out? Got some footage? Hope you woke up tired & smiling this morning!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Dude we're sitting here waiting for your account of your first gig! Don't leave us hanging!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

HEY DUDE!!! How'd the gig go??

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 06-21-2010, 12:55 AM
nhzoso

Went great actually.. The opening song is "Are you ready by Grand funk" and that usually gets the blood flowing. I nailed that one and the next 3 but then I think I got a little cocky. During Jenny(867-5309) by Tommy Tutone I totally missed the big fill at about 2:16 but kept on going anyway. The thing that surprised me is after that set (8 songs) no one even noticed including the band which is kind of scary...LOL

During Lie to me by johnny lang the Bass player was all over the place, wrong key, timing was making hard for me to keep it straight. he turned and looked at me with an absolute look of sheer horror. he was white as a ghost and I could tell he was having a major brain fart. I started laughing and he stopped playing for about 2 seconds than got right back on track.. He can play this song in his sleep but said he just totally lost it for a minute so I guess it happens every now and then to everyone.

I am supposed to sing Every rose by poison and play drums at the same time, rarely was I ever happy with both aspects of the song at the same time during practices, either the singing lacked if I concentrated on the drums too much or vice versa so i talked a woman I know into coming up on stage and singing it, she was 3 sheets to the wind but hey it calmed me down because I was dreading that song all night. Well we started and she was wayyyyyyy off, she has a good voice but ya know how it is when you think you know a song and then you have to perform it it's like whoa. Right at the beginning the lead looks back at me and I knew it was bad so i started singing with her and she stopped. then another hott woman came up behind me and wrapped her arms around me and was singing the song with me.

she was leaning most of her weight and rather big breasts on my back which made it hard to concentrate so I started singing the final verse.. Problem was we were only supposed to be at the 2nd verse..LOL but everyone laughed and it turned into an extended version of the song.

other than that I had about 2-4 minor hiccups that I think only another drummer would have picked up on and I felt like I was on auto pilot alot of the time which I am not sure if I should be worried about that or if thats the ultimate goal when playing. I mean i was listening and new where we were in the song but I did not really have to think about it all that much. Unfortunatley the camera we borrowed had no more room on the disc due to a graduation that was recorded over it the day before and I did not want to erase it so no audio or video was taken.

Thanks for all the tips guys I used a few of them and it really helped. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again. We got alot of comments and a few criticizims (spelling) from a guy who used to gig a long time ago. basically he said we sound good but we all need to learn harmonizing which we know.. We are still looking for a lead singer but we get by for now.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Cool, you popped your cherry. Usually the autopilot thing is a good sign. Sounds like you had what you needed, confidence wise and the rest sounded par for a first gig. Glad to hear things went normally.
So how big were they?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So how big were they?
Well my back still hurts if thats any indication : )
Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Actually that doesn't help me out at all. That could be taken more than a few different ways. You could have hurt your back carrying her off the stage because she was too drunk. You could have gotten extremely lucky on your first gig and got that backache the best way possible lol. Are you telling me they were so big that your back still hurts from the weight of them resting on you 24 hours later? My God Man! A memorable first gig indeed!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Silver Member

You asked a woman to sing??? DUDE!!! OK.......(KBadd calms down)......it's cool....do wtf you want BUT.....f the rest of the crowd...you are the (drummer) singer....so sing!

Sounded like a great gig!!!!!

HOW DID YOUR DRUMS SOUND?????

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Actually that doesn't help me out at all. That could be taken more than a few different ways. You could have hurt your back carrying her off the stage because she was too drunk. You could have gotten extremely lucky on your first gig and got that backache the best way possible lol. Are you telling me they were so big that your back still hurts from the weight of them resting on you 24 hours later? My God Man! A memorable first gig indeed!
Definetly not the 1st one, the 2nd one would not have went over well with the wife being there although my mind was running through a host of idea's if ya know what I mean : ) so that leaves the 3rd choice and that is it..I would take a very very educated guess at 40dd but in a good way...

Oh and the one thing I always hear at other people's gigs happened after about 3 seconds of us walking out on stage and strapping in.......Yep someone yelled out FREEBIRD!! LOL.. sorry we don't do that one.......yet : )
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Dude it's not a real gig unless somebody yells "Freebird"

You have as classic a first gig story as anyone. Right on brother.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Went great actually.. The opening song is "Are you ready by Grand funk" and that usually gets the blood flowing. I nailed that one and the next 3 but then I think I got a little cocky. During Jenny(867-5309) by Tommy Tutone I totally missed the big fill at about 2:16 but kept on going anyway. The thing that surprised me is after that set (8 songs) no one even noticed including the band which is kind of scary...LOL

During Lie to me by johnny lang the Bass player was all over the place, wrong key, timing was making hard for me to keep it straight. he turned and looked at me with an absolute look of sheer horror. he was white as a ghost and I could tell he was having a major brain fart. I started laughing and he stopped playing for about 2 seconds than got right back on track.. He can play this song in his sleep but said he just totally lost it for a minute so I guess it happens every now and then to everyone.

I am supposed to sing Every rose by poison and play drums at the same time, rarely was I ever happy with both aspects of the song at the same time during practices, either the singing lacked if I concentrated on the drums too much or vice versa so i talked a woman I know into coming up on stage and singing it, she was 3 sheets to the wind but hey it calmed me down because I was dreading that song all night. Well we started and she was wayyyyyyy off, she has a good voice but ya know how it is when you think you know a song and then you have to perform it it's like whoa. Right at the beginning the lead looks back at me and I knew it was bad so i started singing with her and she stopped. then another hott woman came up behind me and wrapped her arms around me and was singing the song with me.

she was leaning most of her weight and rather big breasts on my back which made it hard to concentrate so I started singing the final verse.. Problem was we were only supposed to be at the 2nd verse..LOL but everyone laughed and it turned into an extended version of the song.

other than that I had about 2-4 minor hiccups that I think only another drummer would have picked up on and I felt like I was on auto pilot alot of the time which I am not sure if I should be worried about that or if thats the ultimate goal when playing. I mean i was listening and new where we were in the song but I did not really have to think about it all that much. Unfortunatley the camera we borrowed had no more room on the disc due to a graduation that was recorded over it the day before and I did not want to erase it so no audio or video was taken.

Thanks for all the tips guys I used a few of them and it really helped. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again. We got alot of comments and a few criticizims (spelling) from a guy who used to gig a long time ago. basically he said we sound good but we all need to learn harmonizing which we know.. We are still looking for a lead singer but we get by for now.
LOL Hey dude, that must be one of the best first gigs ever, I'm jealous, sounds like a hoot.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 AM

I hope your gig went well pal :D