DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Default I have a bit of a dilema

Ok, so I live in a relatively small town. I only know of one drum teacher in my area. He works at the local drum shop. I want to start getting lessons, but my problem is that hes not the friendliest guy in the world. Hes not necessarily mean, but hes kind of just always serious business. I don't feel entirely comfortable investing money into this guy to be honest, but I really want lessons. I have TONS of learning material on DVD that covers A LOT of ground, but nothing beats a teacher. If you guys were in my situation, what would YOU do?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
wy yung

Default Re: I have a bit of a dilema

He's serious about teaching? If so, try it out. Do you want a drum lesson or do you just want to hang out?

Are you from Riverside CA?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

You should just try one lesson and see how it goes. No need to commit to a whole year of lessons or anything.

I think alot of us had some mean old teachers in our days. I even paid alot of money to study with them in college! I have had teachers in the past that I absolutely hated, but I still love what they taught me. You will never know till you try, he might be more comfortable in his teaching environment and open up? or he might still be mean but if he can teach you and challenge you then it's worth it.

I have heard of online teachers, but I have never tried them, that might be another option.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingHetero View Post
If you guys were in my situation, what would YOU do?
I'd try him out. He may surprise you. Who says you have to commit forever? If you don't like him after a few lessons, bail.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

The two best instructors I ever had weren't nice guys, but they were guys who would push me musically and kick my butt a bit if I slacked off. I can honestly say that I basically hated (in a teenage angst kind of way) the one teacher...who I thank to this day for pushing me so hard.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM

agree with the others....give him a shot for 2 lessons or so and see how it goes???

I'm out in Podunk, Montana and have an ad on Craigslist now for a month seeking a teacher and no luck yet.......nearest bigger town is 110mi (one way....lol) so that's not happening......
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

My first drum teacher was "mean" But I learned the drums and I respect everything he taught me. He was a truly great man.

Pay for 2 lessons and go see what happens. Remember the saying; "The Teacher arrives when the student is ready".

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH