DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Getting back to it...where to start

Hey, I'm the new guy here. I've been drumming since I was 11. At 15 I became the full-time drummer for my church. I marched snare line in high school, and played percussion (timpani, mallets, etc) for symphonic band. I also played for a punk band full-time and did some side projects (blues, rock, etc) with other folks. When I graduated I attended GA Tech and kind of got out of playing for about 3 years. In my last year of college, I joined the staff of the International House of Prayer in ATL as a drummer, where I played 20 + hours a week. (literally two 2-hour sets a day M-F plus 4hrs Sunday evening). In 2007, I got married, graduated college, got a job and entered the "real world." At that time I stopped playing for IHOP, and have only played on Sunday mornings at my current church.
I really want to get back into it, but I'm not sure where to start. I think it'd be fun to maybe start with a cover band (Pearl Jam, STP, Chili Peppers, etc) and play out a few times a month. If it grew from there into something more, that would be great. How do you go about finding folks to play with, though? (No one at my work really plays, and I haven't kept up with folks from High School at all) All advice is welcome.

Thanks, Josh.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Getting back to it...where to start

Hey man...there's a bunch of websites that you can find musicians in your area. One of those websites is bandmix.com or you could even try craigslist cause I know that they have a section for musicians looking for other members. Check it out, see who you run across, and who knows, you may find a band that is already up and rolling but just needing a drummer.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Getting back to it...where to start

Most Guitar Centers have a big board with band postings. I found this to be more reliable than Craigslist, but both can be useful sources for finding band members. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and stumbled into a great band by just asking around. Keep your eyes and ears open and you never know what could happen.