DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Wrist Pain??

So recently, after much practice & many shows I've began having a bit of pain in my wrist when playing.
It only became apperant on the last show (Sept. 5), and tonight at rehersal.. at the show, I was rocking the f*ck out of the drums, and by the last song I could hardly play my left wrist was in such pain.. I figured "hmmm... don't hit so bloody hard next time!"
Tonight at practice, it was like 75% less painful, but at the end of the set, still noticeable.

I'm 18, and have been playing for over 6 years. My technique is quite good.. not phenomenal! But above average for sure, (I would say for my age - it's really, really good.)
Anyway... I don't stretch before shows or practice. Is this possibly the reason why I feel that pain?

Any suggestions/tips would be hugely appreciated!
Cheers!!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wrist Pain??

I would say any pain is a sign that your technique needs to be readdressed. I would recommend trying to find a very good teacher in your area--for example, try to locate a percussion professor or drumming professional--and have them analyze your playing.

Stretching can help, and yoga can be really beneficial, but maintaining a good warmup routine is a must before playing. And definitely get rid of the "rockin' the f' out of drums" approach. It is quite possible to play loud without throwing your limbs into it. Some good Moeller whip action will take care of that.

Developing good technique can take a looong time, so be prepared to do some serious study to address the problem.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:50 AM

Hey Mate,

I'll suggest what I've been suggesting to others here on the forum-- start taking Glucosamine--it's a mineral suppliment, not a drug. It'll take between 2 days- 1 week to take effect, and I swear by it. I've been taking it for 2+ years, and it naturally makes your body provide needed NATURAL lubrication for your joints. I'm 52, dang near being a "geezer", and it works REALLY well for me-- you can even find it at the "dollar store" or the 99 cent store on the shelf.

Good luck, and rock forever,
C. P.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

I've been dealing with wrist pain for years.

A few things that could help, mix and match for what is best for you:
  • Hit less hard. Not everyone can be Kenny Arnoff.
  • Take Glucosamine.
  • Try a bigger stick that absorbs more impact or try a smaller stick that you're forced to not hit as hard.
  • Get check out by a Chiropractor. Most of my problems aren't my wrists, but a shoulder injury from when I younger that causes the nerves to my wrists to get pinched.
  • Wear basic ACE wrist braces when playing.
  • Check your seat & posture for anything that could be causing pinched nerves.
  • Spend less time on a computer (which I understand is near impossible these days).
  • Make sure you are properly hydrated when playing.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

I broke my wrists a few years ago and didn't have the insurance/funds to cover it, so I know the feeling.

On top of what DrumEatDrum said, watch out for stress, gripping the stick too much and how you position your snare/hihat. And I believe you when you say you use proper technique, but I find myself slipping into the rigid grip/try to control everything when I can't roll fast enough; Anyway, point being, when you practice some tougher stuff, take note of how your body moves, you might be doing something you don't notice right away.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
I would say any pain is a sign that your technique needs to be readdressed. I would recommend trying to find a very good teacher in your area--for example, try to locate a percussion professor or drumming professional--and have them analyze your playing.
This wouldn't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Stretching can help, and yoga can be really beneficial, but maintaining a good warmup routine is a must before playing. And definitely get rid of the "rockin' the f' out of drums" approach. It is quite possible to play loud without throwing your limbs into it. Some good Moeller whip action will take care of that.!
I agree and disagree with this statement... You can keep "rockin the f out." I do.. and i think that its the main reason i like playing drums... you get to hit things fast and hard and make a lot of noise... And while its true you can play just as loud without above-head stick-heights, the action of playing drums is awesome and the audience likes to see you flail around like everyone's favorite muppet.(just don't bite any cymbals) BUT the point about warmup and stretching may solve all your pain problems. "Rockin the f out" is very physical... so its much like a sport... and you should ALWAYS warm up and stretch before doing ANY physical activity. I stretch my arms and legs and warmup almost everytime i play.
Try some of the stretches discussed on this thread...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=53313
Also a good light warm up after that would get you in decent shape to play without pain... the other good thing is that it will loosen your muscles up so you're able to play as fast and hard as you want on beat 1 of song 1 in set 1 instead of not being fully loose until song 3 of set 1. :) I know warming up may be difficult before a gig... but if you take a practice pad with you and just sit somewhere for 10 minutes doing 8th notes on both hands and single stroke 16s at a slow to moderate tempo increasing slowly until you're playing quickly, you'll be more ready to perform.