DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 AM

Default Best Neil Peart Drum Solo?

For any of you guys that listen to Rush in general or at all, I'm sure you've at least heard a solo by Neil Peart. Wether it be Exit Stage Left or Rush In Rio. But what I'd like to bring to the table is what is your guy's favorite Neil Peart solos? They can be from live albums or bootlegs but mine are Exit Stage Left, Dem Bones (Bootleg), A Show of Hands, A View from the Palace (Bootleg), and Wild Kinetic Dreams (Bootleg). Let me know what you guys think!
Old 09-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Best Neil Peart Drum Solo?

For me it's the solo during Working Man/ Finding my Way on the All the World's a Stage album. Maybe because It was my first Rush album, bought when I was eleven. It made an impression on me.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
For me it's the solo during Working Man/ Finding my Way on the All the World's a Stage album. Maybe because It was my first Rush album, bought when I was eleven. It made an impression on me.
+1

Old 09-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

I'll always remember Peart, by YYZ (Exit Stage Left) live. The crisply executed snare work stands alone.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I think the best composition among the official recordings is the one he played on the R30 live album. In my opinion, it does the best job sorting the various bits that he does into a composition as a whole.

I also have a weak spot for the Exit Stage Left solo, simply because it's so iconic and at the height of his "all the stuff on the stage" period. Also A Show Of Hands, which was the first Rush live album I owned.

I remember being very underwhelmed by the Snakes and Arrows solo, both live and on record.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:24 AM

"Exit Stage Left" for sure. I also like the little 'mini' solo that he does in "Red Lenses."
Old 09-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

I have never really consciously thought about it. The first drum solo I saw was about the same as the All the Worlds a Stage solo so it is also a favorite of mine. I like a lot of other bits and pieces of every other solo. But I liked the whimsy in the ATWAS solo. I had never heard anything like that before.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Easily, above all others imho, in A Show of Hands. When you look over his career, there are a number of times where you can safely say he changed rock n roll drumming. This solo, with all the fiery runs all over the kit as was custom with the older solos, and with the addition of sampled marimba and horn hits, set a new standard. Now you can't even go to a GC drum solo competition without seeing the top contestants working with samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_xgZ1qBMNk
Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Apart from the obvious 1981 Exit Stage Left solo, I really like the one from Rush In Rio, 2002.

I also heard one on a bootleg from Rush's US 1984 tour recently - and Neil was on fire - and playing ideas I'd never heard from him before then, or since.

It came at the end of the song Red Lenses. I suppose he was 32-ish at the time and "arguably" at his peak as a player.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:40 PM

For me it's the Time Machine solo. something about the way all the drums on that kit sounded together and his work between the ride, snare and toms about halfway through. partial because I got to hear it live twice. not a fan of any of the electronic/jazz portions of any of his solos. the acoustic Time Machine kit sounded amazing live.
no drums