DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM

Default Push Pull technique question.

Hey guys.

I've started to work on my push pull technique recently. I got few questions on the topic though. I wonder if You could help me out.

When using push pull technique, do you use only the tip of the stick or the first hit - downstroke, is done by using shaft of the stick, and the second hit - upstroke, is done by using the tip?

I've practiced push pull only on my pad so far, but I wonder if it could be used on the snare like: 1.(downstroke)=rimshot -> 2.(upstroke)=standard drum hit using just the tip?

In THIS video at 1:31 Matt is doing a drum fill. Is it done by using push pull technique in the manner I described earlier? Does anyone understand how exactly is it played?

Also, HERE is a video of his push pull techniqe.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Push Pull technique question.

Both. They are different sounds.

Sometimes I do shoulder-tip, sometimes Shoulder-shoulder, sometimes just tip both times. Depends on the sound you're going for.

Obviously, the shoulder gives a more full bodied louder sound, while the tip is a smaller more pointed sound.

This may be an over-simplification, but for me, the only difference is the angle of my hand. I point the stick down and the tip gets used, if I pull my hand down, then the side or shoulder of the stick naturally hits the hats on the edge. In both cases, the same "rocking motion" is employed to keep things going at speed.

As you mention, it's also common to kind of accent the 1/4's if you will, shoulder for the quarter and tip for the 1/8. It's a bit harder, but not much. Just hit with the shoulder, then pull the back of your hand up sharply so that the tip gets the second note.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Dr_Watso. And what about that rimshot thing I wrote about and the fill that Matt played in the video I posted?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

The fill starts with a 6 stroke roll, i don't have the time to break down the rest. Yes once you get the 6 stroke up to speed, it will require at least the moeller pumping motion, unless you are using strictly finger technique.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
I've practiced push pull only on my pad so far, but I wonder if it could be used on the snare like: 1.(downstroke)=rimshot -> 2.(upstroke)=standard drum hit using just the tip?
You could, but a rimshot doesn't generate much rebound, so you won't get much speed, and it will be very difficult to control. You'll see when you try it.

As for that fill:

RllrrLRllFFRLFFRllFFRLFFRllrrLRL
Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 PM

Brian and brentcn, thanks a lot! I understand what's going on in that fill now. :)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

My word that fill is CLEAN.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

When he's playing on the pad, he starts out with his elbows too close to his body. You'll notice that his right elbow moves out away from his body when he is playing the really fast right-hand 16ths later in the video. Elbows need to be far enough out to get good leverage, although I admit his actual speed is good. You'll notice he doesn't show off his left hand speed nearly as much in that video. LOL