DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Going with a 20 inch kick now

This is one of those things that has been eating away at me for some time. The Ludwig Epic Euro kit I got on eBay about 2 years ago came with a 24" kick but was advertised on eBay as a 22". After all the trouble I went through getting the seller to ship it, I decided to keep the kit anyway.

Seriously, the 24" is cool, but I'm finding it just too dang big for my taste and physical size. I like the toms somewhat over the bass drum and I've found it's almost impossible to get them over the bass drum at the level most comfortable for me to play and still allows me to play well. I payed good money for the kit, so I might as well have it to my liking, right?

So....I changed the 24 and used my vintage MIJ blue sparkle 20 x 14 inch kick just to see if I liked the smaller size again. I found I loved it because I can adjust the toms anyway I want to my liking and not have to deal with that husky 24-incher gettiing in the way.

Now all I have to do is actually find the 20 inch Ludwig Epic in natural black burst.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Going with a 20 inch kick now

I'm in the market for a new kit, and I'm with you. Same reasons.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

20 is a great size, much more bottom than you'd think esp when mic'd. One my favorite kicks is 16x20 keystone (the other is 14x24 Vistalite!)

Bermuda
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

20's are cool. I do play a 24 and love it, but if I go down, I'll probably just go down to a 22, I don't want to work too hard ;)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Oh cool! Thank you! That is encouraging news. I started to get self-conscious last night because here was this massive 24 inch Ludwig behemoth kick drum sitting next to a 20 inch MIJ blue sparkle kick from the 70's. That 20 inch looked so tiny next to the 24 inch I almost didn't make the swtich to experiement. But since I took time digging the 20 inch out of a closet and making all the noise of moving sfuff, I thought I'd better go ahead and try it at least.

So glad I did! After playing a while using the mismatched 20 inch kick, I started really liking how all the drums sounded well together. Of course the 20 inch is made of poplar and no comparison to Ludwigs, tuned up well it blended okay enough get a ballpark idea of how the 20 inch Ludwig would sound. I think I'm a hooked convert now.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

I use a Sonor 20" inch along with the Dixon lift (sometimes) and yes indeed it serves me well and getting to gigs is definitely easier; however I played a 24" Sonor this past weekend and I fell in love with it, Perhaps down the road I will add one; but the 20 is still my go to. You won't be disappointed, I know what you mean by the comparison in size (beside each other) but once you are out on a gig you will find that it all blends in quite nicely.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Big bass drums look and sound bad-ass.

But when I got behind my 20, and got everything adjusted exactly where I wanted it, it was a revelation. Everything so easy to get to.
Got a couple 18's I like tons too, but the 20 really hits the sweet spot.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel that same way about their large bass drums and snare stand mounted toms. I'm just not one of them.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

When I want to play big, boomy rock drums, I'll use a 22" or larger drum. When I want to play jazz drums, I'll use an 18" or smaller. When I want to play drums that will work for everything, I play a 20" bass drum.

*disclaimer: it's all about head selection and tuning of course, but these sizes lend themselves more to *that* sound.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

I've been playing a 20" kick for going on 15 years now as my main kit and a 22" at church (and now with my Ludwigs). I love the sound of the 22" but for the perfect combination of sound, feel and ergonomics I love my 20". Everything is very easy for me to get to (as a shorter guy, that's nice).
Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

I really like my 20X17 Oak Custom kick. It's actually almost to loud for most of the playing I do. So I stick a small feather pillow in it to tame it. But the times I need the volume I just play it wide open.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Another 20 incher here. Although at 20 x 18 it's got a bit more air volume in it and the very thin D'Amico shell lets me tune it JAW and still get a tone. It's interesting how much it carries even with a fairly dead sound. Sensitive to heads though. I've tried the PS3 I got it with, an SKII and EQ3. I thought the Evans might have a bit more tone since it's less damped but it had to be tuned higher and while punchy, didn't sound as good or be as versatile as the PS3. Maybe next I'll try a straight undamped head next.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I've been playing a 20" kick for going on 15 years now as my main kit and a 22" at church (and now with my Ludwigs). I love the sound of the 22" but for the perfect combination of sound, feel and ergonomics I love my 20". Everything is very easy for me to get to (as a shorter guy, that's nice).
Yeah right. Shorter guy. Who you tryin' to kid?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Haaah!!

I think we should take up a collection to get Bo a 28" bass drum. It'll be amazing.

I have a couple of 20" and I honestly find them much more difficult to tune that my 24". I tries to get the classic Jazz/Rock tone with coated single ply heads and it just sounds flappy at every tuning. I thought these little kicks were supposed to be punchy.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Haaah!!

I think we should take up a collection to get Bo a 28" bass drum. It'll be amazing.

I have a couple of 20" and I honestly find them much more difficult to tune that my 24". I tries to get the classic Jazz/Rock tone with coated single ply heads and it just sounds flappy at every tuning. I thought these little kicks were supposed to be punchy.
A 26" is my limit! 28" would be way too much drum to be carrying around, let alone play! I appreciate the thought, though.

I do love my 14x24. However, after all these years of trying different bass drums, the 22" is the most popular for a reason. It's big enough to actually give you bass, and it's easier to schlep about. In my situations I found even the 20" to choke out when I started to slam. The 22" can at least keep up. When I go with my 24", I can actually back off, concentrate on the groove and still sound huge. But the 22" reigns supreme.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

I was playing a 22" for the longest time and recently went back to a 16x20; man, the difference that made! So much punch... I love having a 20" kick drum because it works in nearly any setting. The 22" is far less versatile but more suited towards the kind of music I am playing right now.

I love both sizes... it's sometimes really confusing when loading up for a gig! "Do I take the red pill or the blue one?" haha

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
You need a better drum ;)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Just got a Ludwig club date kit with a 20X14.Love the size.Sounds Great EASY Loading and add lots of room to the small stages i play.Have my 22 Absolte kit taking a break stacked up in a corner.It will be cool playing them again sometime,just dont know when ,as these things are a blast!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You need a better drum ;)
I think I just need more expensive tastes. I love the portability, think I just need to try a different batter head. Still though, I don't love it like I love the 24".

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

I always play a 20 when I travel, it's just easier. And, I've gotten some full tilt sound out of that little guy as well. I have a 22 in my studio, but if I had to pick just one size for life it may be a 20. Plus you can EQ just about any sound you want.
billbachman.net
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah right. Shorter guy. Who you tryin' to kid?
Short. Shorter. Shortest.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM

20" bas drums are cool. I think they can sound better, to me, as well. I liked the ones I had because I could mount everything else a bit lower than with 22" basses. I've never had a 24", but I'm sure it would annoy me with anything more than one shallow rack tom.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM

Like any drum, it's all in the tuning.
A 20" is a good all around bass drum. ( can we not call it a kick drum). I play a Rogers 20, wide open with most of the front head cut out. It's great for Tony Williams moods. For most rock bands I have tried out for around So Cal, they hate it and chase me around with a pillow. So I'm buying a set with a 22 just for rock gigs. Elvin Jones played an 18 and it cut like a cannon. I was in a band in the 60's called The Bougalieu. I played two Ludwig burgundy sparkle 20's. One head, no mufflers. They cut just fine.You can see that set on line.Then I had a Rogers red onyx set with two 22's..now they were bass drums....sold both sets like a fool. Bought clear Fibes with a 22. Played them a month and hated them.
It takes a lot of tweaking to get the bass drum sound you want. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

I don't belong in this thread. :)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Hahaha! Me neither ;)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Sure you do:

Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Sure you do:

I thought those legs were ingenious. I'm sorta surprised nobody else came up with that idea.