DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
The Old Hyde

Default Re: Dw Lugs UGLY!!!!!

I don't like the DW lugs at all. Never really seen a good looking Sonor lug either.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Gold Member

I like the Sonor lugs much more so than the DW lugs. Have you guys seen the Tama Star lugs? Those look sweet!
Session Work
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcoman View Post
While Gretsch lugs do have elements of Art Deco style, I think Ludwig, Leedy and Rogers took far more cues in style.
To be honest Im not really familiar with Art Deco style but Id have to say the Gretsch lugs have the "smoothest" appearance which seems to be an Art Deco thing...
Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
Ok ok before I ruffle feathers here, let me clarify... I LOVE DW sound, which I guess is the main component of any instrument, they are extremely well crafted and have some amazing stunning finishes. BUT... Those lugs are terrible....
I know it's their trademark and would probably never steer away from them as they have been with them back to the camco days... But I would buy a set of these for sure for even more money if you had the option of say some tube lugs or beaver tail lugs..
I'm sorry to ruffle feathers I know I'm going to hear it but man those lugs are ugly...

Sonor best lugs hands down......
Actually,the George Way days.Those "turret" lugs were designed in the mid 50's by George Way,and used on his drums,till Camco took iniated a hostile take over of George Way drums,with va 51 % stock but out.

Till the early 60's ,Camco was a hardware manufacturer ONLY,and only after taking over George Way,and his patents,did Camco become a drum company.

But I digress.I too am not overly fond of those lugs,but I do love the sound of vintage Camco drums.Their shells were made by Jasper and later on by Keller.Extra care in the bearing edges is what gave Camco drums their characteristic warm sound.

Camco was also the only drum company, that would mount Rogers hardware at the factory,on their drums if a customer wanted it.

Some Camco afficinatos dispute this,but it's true.Rogers hardware was at the time ,considered the state of the art.

Steve B
Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

In addition, DW lugs don't have cute little names like the classic others, such as beavertail, bread and butter, bowtie, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
In addition, DW lugs don't have cute little names like the classic others, such as beavertail, bread and butter, bowtie, etc.
Sure they do they are called turret lugs. Back in the Camco days they were used on the Aristocrat line, they also had the tuxedo lug which was a center mount similar to the Ludwig club date.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch-o-rama View Post
To be honest Im not really familiar with Art Deco style but Id have to say the Gretsch lugs have the "smoothest" appearance which seems to be an Art Deco thing...
You're on to something. Slingerland too, there lugs are very similar.

Art Deco - check out the shape of the upper parts of Chrysler Building in NYC ....looks like a Slingerland, Gretsch or Ludwig lug.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 AM

Sonor gets my vote too... My Sonor snares:

Dutch
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Aren't Sonor lugs just baby turret(DW) lugs?
Or they multiplied and had twin turrets?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Aren't Sonor lugs just baby turret(DW) lugs?
Or they multiplied and had twin turrets?
Lol... A lug is a lug is a lug, right?

Perhaps we don't have enough real problems to worry about and like the Romans our decadence will be our downfall...

Dutch
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
you either love them or you hate them, theres never a in between when it comes to the camco turret lugs
Whoops, I'm in between. Do I have to hand in my Fancy Percussionist corsage now?

I mean, I don't think they're the ugliest things in the world, but they are large and likely shell-sustain-detrimental. If you don't like it, don't buy a DW. Easy as that!

I think Ego's mini tubes are some gorgeous lugs. Tama Starclassics as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
I don't like the DW lugs at all. Never really seen a good looking Sonor lug either.
These are some older Sonor lugs that I kinda' like:

http://www.sonormuseum.com/identify/indentify.html
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I like the oval lug on my PDP X7 maple. It gives it an old school look and all the chrome from the lugs and mounts looks beautiful on the white finish but I am often left wondering, like was said, how much do they kill the sustain especially on the 8". I've felt the difference between the shells having none of the lugs on to all of them being back on and they do end up weighing a lot. The heavier they are and the more surface area that touches the shell, will in the end kill some of the sustain no doubt.
I have 4-lug Pearl and 6-lug DW and PDP 8" toms, and I have yet to experience sustain issues. Small drums tuned to higher notes are going to be inherently shorter-spoken anyway. However, it got me thinking and I took a business card and was able to slide it between the outer edge of a DW lug and the shell (about 1/8" in), so at least the wrapped 8" drums have a tight enough curve that the actual area of contact with the shell is reduced somewhat. Yes, there are 12 of the little darlings on there, but that's because John Good seems to find 5-lug drums offensive in some way.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM

For the record I've always loved the DW/Camco lugs! Very distiguished.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Performance is the ideal size I think. Not too big.. not too small.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
XplosiveDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecore View Post
I have 4-lug Pearl and 6-lug DW and PDP 8" toms, and I have yet to experience sustain issues. Small drums tuned to higher notes are going to be inherently shorter-spoken anyway. However, it got me thinking and I took a business card and was able to slide it between the outer edge of a DW lug and the shell (about 1/8" in), so at least the wrapped 8" drums have a tight enough curve that the actual area of contact with the shell is reduced somewhat. Yes, there are 12 of the little darlings on there, but that's because John Good seems to find 5-lug drums offensive in some way.
Yes and damn him for it lol! It's difficult to find 6 lug hoops for an 8 inch whether TF or die. I talked to a Gibraltar rep and inquired about Gibraltar possibly making a 6 lug 8 inch hoop in TF and/or die cast so we'll see what the future holds. Could probably ask other places to look into it as well I suppose. As for the business card deal, not gonna happen on the X7 toms lol. They are sealed to the shell, especially because of the rubber "gasket" on the back of the lug. When tightened the lug makes 100% contact with the shell.

It doesn't destroy the sustain, sensitivity or what have you and more than likely helps to focus the tone of the drum with all that weight on there and further makes these thin Chinese shells more punchy. I dig them quite a bit but part of me is left wondering how well I would like a set that has a shell thickness like the discontinued Pearl Vision maple sets with a 10mm thick floor tom and bass drum I believe, as well as thick ass toms lol. I would love to have a 6pc, 8,10,12,16, 20,14 set of those in the champagne or silver sparkle. I bet that floor tom and kick are monstrous!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
These are some older Sonor lugs that I kinda' like:

http://www.sonormuseum.com/identify/indentify.html
I stand corrected, NOW Ive seen a Sonor lug I like.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 AM
Silver Member

I myself prefer a small, unobtrusive lug. With that in mind, I do not like any turret lugs that I have seen before. Just not a fan of 'em. Oh well. If the drum sounds good, the lug doesn't matter.

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Personally, I'd kill for a set of 60s era Camcos. Preferably 12, 14, 20 with a matching snare.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

I guess I don't really mind the looks of the DW lugs but to me the best part about them is that they perfect for the tom mount that does not put stress on the rods.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2013, 03:12 AM

Does anyone have strong feelings for mapex lugs? ; )
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
Does anyone have strong feelings for mapex lugs? ; )
Nope.
But them Mapex badges on the other hand...

;)

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 PM

I like look of the DW lugs better than the lugs on some of my other kits. The chrome looks nice and I have no worries about it taking away any sustain or resonance. These babies sing for days.

I also like the long 1 piece lugs on my Pearl Custom Z kit and the eternal classic lugs on my Ludwig's and Gretsch kits. Chrome is good. Long live chrome.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

I've always liked the DW lugs..................But, the new DWPS smaller turret lugs do look better IMO
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Actually,the George Way days.Those "turret" lugs were designed in the mid 50's by George Way,and used on his drums,till Camco took iniated a hostile take over of George Way drums,with va 51 % stock but out.

Till the early 60's ,Camco was a hardware manufacturer ONLY,and only after taking over George Way,and his patents,did Camco become a drum company.

But I digress.I too am not overly fond of those lugs,but I do love the sound of vintage Camco drums.Their shells were made by Jasper and later on by Keller.Extra care in the bearing edges is what gave Camco drums their characteristic warm sound.

Camco was also the only drum company, that would mount Rogers hardware at the factory,on their drums if a customer wanted it.

Some Camco afficinatos dispute this,but it's true.Rogers hardware was at the time ,considered the state of the art.

Steve B
I am glad to see someone set the record straight. Camco didn't do anything innovative. Their claim to fame is as an early corporate raider. DW's DNA comes from George Way. George also was the guy behind Leedy. George was an early pioneer and innovator and a drum man through and through. I do remember Camco offering to mount Rogers brackets, and such, but not the beavertail lugs and such. Can you confirm the extent of their offering? Yes Rogers hardware was the best by a mile of any company in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and into the 80s.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

You get used to them
Misc. Snares
My Web Site