DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Working on the principle that my pets, my car and even my children have names, so do my drum kits (Maud and Mabel).

I have been told that this is at best, dead naff, and at worst, an abomination. You may presume that I was told this by somebody who clearly has no soul.

What do we think, DW?
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
ba dum tish's Avatar
ba dum tish ba dum tish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England Area
Posts: 57
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Considering I don't have kids yet, I look at my drums as my children. Therefore it's fine for me to name them, in fact it would be weird not to.

And when I actually do end up having kids it might get a little confusing because I'll still consider my drums my kids. And then it may be uncomfortable when the drums get bigger and better Christmas presents than my "actual" kids. Maybe I'll just consider my human children to be my pets (or even flesh-colored drums?) so it's not so confusing. That's the best solution I can think of right now at least.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba dum tish View Post
Considering I don't have kids yet, I look at my drums as my children. Therefore it's fine for me to name them, in fact it would be weird not to.

And when I actually do end up having kids it might get a little confusing because I'll still consider my drums my kids. And then it may be uncomfortable when the drums get bigger and better Christmas presents than my "actual" kids. Maybe I'll just consider my human children to be my pets (or even flesh-colored drums?) so it's not so confusing. That's the best solution I can think of right now at least.
I urge you to learn to tell the difference, otherwise you may well end up hitting your kids.
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,627
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I have named many, many things in my household, but for some time my drums had escaped this trend. Until recently, when I picked up two snares that get about equal time on the stand. One is a Pearl black over brass Sensitone Elite, and the other is a Ludwig Standard aluminium snare (think Acrolite with no bead). I felt torn between them, and so they became Veronica and Betty, respectively.

This led to retroactive naming of my DW 5x12 soprano snare as "Midge" and the old, secondhand steel snare I had been using for years as "Mrs. Grundy".

I suppose my toms could be named (in descending order) Dilton, Reggie, Archie, Jughead and Moose, and the kick could be Mr. Weatherbee... but that would be silly.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Anduin's Avatar
Anduin Anduin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,144
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Interesting idea. Iíd never considered it. Which is strange, because Iíll name just about anything else: bikes, houses...

Maybe I donít name kits because theyíre not really unitary items. I mean, if I set up as a 4-piece with 2 cymbals one week and (the same kit essentially) as a 5-piece with 8 cymbals the next week, should both get the same name? Iím thinking not.

But I like the idea, and if I was in the habit of setting up the same exact items the same way every time, Iíd probably be naming the kit without really thinking about it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I have named many, many things in my household, but for some time my drums had escaped this trend. Until recently, when I picked up two snares that get about equal time on the stand. One is a Pearl black over brass Sensitone Elite, and the other is a Ludwig Standard aluminium snare (think Acrolite with no bead). I felt torn between them, and so they became Veronica and Betty, respectively.

This led to retroactive naming of my DW 5x12 soprano snare as "Midge" and the old, secondhand steel snare I had been using for years as "Mrs. Grundy".

I suppose my toms could be named (in descending order) Dilton, Reggie, Archie, Jughead and Moose, and the kick could be Mr. Weatherbee... but that would be silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
Interesting idea. Iíd never considered it. Which is strange, because Iíll name just about anything else: bikes, houses...

Maybe I donít name kits because theyíre not really unitary items. I mean, if I set up as a 4-piece with 2 cymbals one week and (the same kit essentially) as a 5-piece with 8 cymbals the next week, should both get the same name? Iím thinking not.

But I like the idea, and if I was in the habit of setting up the same exact items the same way every time, Iíd probably be naming the kit without really thinking about it.
It never occurred to me to name individual drums. I would probably only forget anyway, but I'll have to give it some thought now.

Perhaps naming configurations might be the way to go?
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM
StickIt's Avatar
StickIt StickIt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 330
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I haven't, but since you bring it up...I might have to name her Heidi, after Juliette Lewis' character in the movie 'Old School'.

It's a Swingstar.
__________________
Practice, Improve, Repeat...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,384
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

The name Dusty comes to mind. Mainly due to my lack of gigging.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Markadiddle's Avatar
Markadiddle Markadiddle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 112
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I have names for my drums! As a matter of fact, three of them are named Tom!! There's rack Tom 1, his brother, rack Tom2, and their other brother... floor Tom.

Last edited by Markadiddle; 05-31-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Thud Thud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 227
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Do you .... ummm.... have names for bodily appendages too?

(signed)

Little Willy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,127
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I don't name my kits or drums for ID purposes, but I did name a snare the "RIP snare", not because it's a killer (although it is...) but because it's the only snare that Rip Masters wants me to use when performing or recording with him. So, I've emblazened that on the snare's bag, so that I can quickly find it when it's time for a gig.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 AM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Sherlina.

..............
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Sadly, I have entertained the idea of naming mine the "McGradeth"/ "Mega-kit" or something equally as stupid (I would never admit it in public though).
I like Al's idea of naming individual toms but wouldn't you then need to name your cymbals/ pedals/ hardware etc so as not to foster resentment from the other "children"?
Would e-drummers also have to name their module and triggers? Where would the madness end??
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I don't see the point... is it just so you can show people your kit and say "Heres XXXX" or is it more of a private thing you say like "Oh I'm gonna go home and play XXXX after work".

Abomination.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,063
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

The idea of naming my drums feels...unwholesome somehow.
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

What's in a name? Here's a fascinating quote from Helen Keller, who was blind and deaf from birth. She had a teacher who finally brought Helen to that aha moment ...
We walked down the path to the well-house, attracted by the fragrance of the honeysuckle with which it was covered. Some one was drawing water and my teacher placed my hand under the spout.

As the cool stream gushed over one hand she spelled into the other the word water, first slowly, then rapidly. I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motions of her fingers. Suddenly I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten — a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I knew then that "w-a-t-e-r" meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free! There were barriers still, it is true, but barriers that could in time be swept away.

I left the well-house eager to learn. Everything had a name, and each name gave birth to a new thought. As we returned to the house every object which I touched seemed to quiver with life. That was because I saw everything with the strange, new sight that had come to me.
Naming as empowerment.

But no, I personally never saw cause to name my kit, my car or my pink bits, but each to their own.
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Nuka's Avatar
Nuka Nuka is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corby, Northamptonshire, UK
Posts: 309
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

My kit is two kits combined into one. They're Huggin and Muninn; named after Odin's ravens and they always act as one, in balance; much like my kit I suppose.

Oddly however, one kit is easier to tune and holds tuning better than the other. It might be to do with storage of one in the warehouse prior to my purchase or something like that? I dunno.
__________________
Mapex, Evans, Remo, Stagg, Vic Firth
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM
TomPlaysDrums's Avatar
TomPlaysDrums TomPlaysDrums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 68
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

My kits are simply called
My Peavey (or the blue one for the less drum savvy)
and My Ddrum (or the black one, again for the less drum savvy)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Lovetadraw's Avatar
Lovetadraw Lovetadraw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 370
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

My kit is named Ebony. :)
__________________
Christopher Walken would be pleased.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,252
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Kit is a name, is it not? Pretty funny thread Madge. I don't have names for anything I own. Sometimes I will put the word mister in front of things...This looks like a job for Mr. Hammer-drill for instance. I have a few nicknames for my wife, but other than that, to date, I have never had a name for any of my my drum things or personal appendages. Boring I know. I never named an inanimate object of mine in my life. I do have nicknames for some people I know. Some of you have names I will never reveal lol.

Anon, pink bits, too funny lol. So descriptive.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Their names depend on how I'm playing that day. On a good day it's any number of cute little pet names, on a bad day I can draw out some multi-syllabic names that would make a sailor blush.

Mostly, though, it's just "the kit".
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM
lowdowner's Avatar
lowdowner lowdowner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cotswolds, UK
Posts: 165
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

It's difficult not to give my kit some kind of personality. I walk past it in the morning on the way to my desk. I turn the lights off at night and it's the last thing I see (apart from my other half's face). I spend hours of pleasure and pain sitting in the midst of them...

Surely it's only human?

yeah, in my head I call them 'my boys'... too much information? .. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Markadiddle's Avatar
Markadiddle Markadiddle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 112
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdowner View Post
It's difficult not to give my kit some kind of personality. I walk past it in the morning on the way to my desk. I turn the lights off at night and it's the last thing I see (apart from my other half's face). I spend hours of pleasure and pain sitting in the midst of them...

Surely it's only human?

yeah, in my head I call them 'my boys'... too much information? .. ;)
Wait, are we still talking about drum names here? lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,369
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Most of my drums are named Tom
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 PM
justavisitor's Avatar
justavisitor justavisitor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

I give name to my cars & my drums, it gives them a personality, a soul, a spirit, some kind of life, it gives a kind of a relationship, even if it's only a trick of my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

As a matter of fact I do have a name for my drum set. It is Tom A Rockstar. The other set I collectively call "the orphans". I thought about naming the bass drum Horatio (after my Starbuck's name), but then after thinking about it, I figured the other orphans might get a little bit jealous.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
K.Howden's Avatar
K.Howden K.Howden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln - Lincolnshire; United Kingdom
Posts: 472
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Snap! My Sonor birch snare is named Mabel too, my others are: Henry (Premier Artist brass) and Glitch (a late 70's Premier steel snare I was given, that has several dints). I haven't gone as far to name my whole set yet...

Hope you're well,

Kev

Edit: @ Zephyr, another Partner eh? Good to know there are others on here!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Markadiddle's Avatar
Markadiddle Markadiddle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 112
Default Re: Naming your kit - can you, would you, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
I have names for my drums! As a matter of fact, three of them are named Tom!! There's rack Tom 1, his brother, rack Tom2, and their other brother... floor Tom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Most of my drums are named Tom
Hey! I think our drums may be related!! :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com