DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

Sorry you had a bad Cobham experience.Monster drummer and a huge influence.I have seen him at a clinic and it was great.I have also seen him twice in concert with Stanley Clarke and Larry Carlton,1st time he was on fire, 2nd time he was off his game and he sucked.Bad gigs happen face it. We are all human, even the Great Cobham! -KH
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 AM

To make the 20 character minimum:

Yes.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Never happened to me. If I see any musician in the middle of something, I don't walk up to them then...better to wait for the right time. All my life I've found drummers to be a great group of people when they get together.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

A few thoughts:

"Big name" musicians are people too. Only there a lot of other folks who feel entitled to a piece of them. Sometimes they are in an "on-stage" situation like a clinic where it would be best to have the game face on. But a lot of those situations seem like work that has to be slogged though and sometimes people just can't get it up for the occasion.

Also, when you come up to someone who is in the public eye, and they have no idea who you are, it doesn't matter if you opened for them two years ago, or won the regional GC drumoff. Hundreds of people come up to them every week and it all turns into a blur.

Also, some folks have a kind of reaction to some stranger coming up and gushing all over them. I was at a show where the bass player was a guy with tons of name band world tours under his belt. There was another great local bass player there (who was probably the only guy in the room who could have subbed in for the first guy) who had never heard him before. A singer who has worked with both and I were talking and amazed that these two had never met or even heard each other. During breaks I talked with both and was trying to find a point where both were in eyesight (it was a packed SRO show) so I could introduce them. At the end of the night I was talking with the name guy and asked him if he had met the other fellow. He wasn't sure and asked what the guy looked like. After I described him, the name guy said that he thought he had met him, but was in the "whoa" mode he's developed when some stranger comes up and starts gushing about his playing. Be polite, but get out of there. Even though a couple of people had told him that there was another bassist he ought to meet, he didn't put two and two together and have the kind of conversation you would expect of two serious musicians. It was more of a fan-star thing. The other guy is really modest and not the sort to come up to someone and start reciting their resume. Just an example of the disconnect that happens when people meet and don't know what's going on.

But the biggest issue I have with this thread is the professional musicians credo of "don't shit where you eat". When you start naming names in public, you break the code. Don't be that guy. I would think many folks here have aspirations of being professional musicians. In spite of anonymous user names, people in your town, or the circles you play in, will figure out who you are. And the people who talk out of school will find themselves on the outside looking in. If you want to swim in the deep end and hang out with the big boys, they have to know that you're not going to blab everything all over the internet. Most of the time when people start threads asking "how do you get into [x part of the business]" the pros here come back with 'be easy to get along with' and other aspects of being cool and working well with others. Being an internet tattletale is a surefire way to kill a career.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJohnson777 View Post
Billy Cobham!!!

He came and did a clinic and mannnn was it a let down. it was so bad that no one was clapping and he kept playing and playing until a few people said woohoo, he then stopped and jumped off stage so he could at least end with someone clapping. His playing made me question why so many like him. Believe me I can sit and enjoy the most basic drummers but wow was his stuff boringgggg. He even pulled out 4 sticks and kinda played around but I was thinking, "you don't ever do something flashy unless you are a MASTERRRRR at it because if you fail while trying to be flashy it is really bad" He failed and it was bad.

Thennnn when he took questions one guy was a big fan and billy got smart with him and short because the guy was pasionate about billys history and technique and had asked Billy some in depth questions. Total waste of my time. You couldnt melt and poor me at another clinic of his. He didnt even tell us thanks, by, see yalater. Right in the middle of Q and A his wife walks in and says we gotta go and he just walked right out. It was kinda weird watching everyones head in the room turn slowly as he left. Weirdest clinic I have ever been to.
Wow, how strange. Cobham is one of the greatest and most impressive drummers in history!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM

I certainly won't say that Scott Phillips from Creed or Alter Bridge is a bad drummer but I can not stand that fact that in every song he hits that "and of 4" on the open hi hat with the left hand. Certainly a cool little filler but It seems to be in a lot of his phrasing and just annoys me.

Other than that...I do like Alterbridge!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 AM

The great Rick Marotta rubbed me the wrong way, only in the sense that I'm a bit of a language and grammar Nazi. Here's how it happened:

I started my professional career behind the kit, but also sang and wrote songs. In the late 80's I got a production deal with Grammy winning producer Greg Ladanyi, who brought Rick in as a co-producer and drummer. Soon, the producers and my manager started arguing and fighting over the phone every day. So, at one point, Rick said to me "Your manager is persona al gratin around the studio."
He meant to say "persona non grata", not what roughly translates to "person with cheese sauce"! I was too embarrassed for him to correct him. He said it again, a number of times.

I'll finish by saying, Rick is a prince of a guy. We remained friends for a few years after the project fell apart, but I never corrected him.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giltkitguy View Post
but I never corrected him.
I'd have just invited him out to lunch. Tell him you've found a little place that serves the best potato non grata you've ever tasted and he simply must try it out.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 AM

After all this, I'm surprised no one has any Weckl stories.

Mine was years ago, I was at 55 Bar in NYC checking out Mike Stern, Amazing set. Anyone who's ever been in there knows the bar is the size of someone's bedroom. I was literally two steps from Mike. Pretty awesome. Anyway, the drummer playing that night was great and I wanted to tell him so. But I didn't know his name.

I realize now that I should have said "great set" and just started talking about, I dunno, whatever, I would've had a better response from the man. I made the mistake and asked him his name, first off. He told me. I put two and two together, Richie Morales was on Al Dimeola's "Kiss My Axe" recording. Great record. Just as I was about to tell him I dug his playing, he saw a friend "Hey so-and-so" and just left. Left me mid-sentence.

Rude? Yeah, a bit. It threw me off, I wasn't expecting that behavior. But looking back on it, I clearly came into the conversation "wrongly". Who was I? Like I said, if I had set it up different, it wouldn't have been an awkward moment.

So that was my lesson. Richie Morales is a great performer and my encounter with him does not diminish him one bit. I learned my lesson that night, more or less...if you go in with no expectations, then you won't get hurt/offended when they don't get met...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM

So I've only met one big name drummer at a clinic, Stanton Moore, and it gave me real perspective about how little info we really have about their attitude, where they're coming from and where they're going. It's tough to know if it's their true personality, or just a bad day, but after the story, I never forgot about their side.

I got to the clinic right as the doors opened and got a great front row seat (glad I brought earplugs). As I was chatting with the guy next to me he lets me know, "Stanton was bitching really badly about the sound in the room and the setup." I replied, "How so?" "He said that if they couldn't get the sound in the room right, why the hell should he do the clinic?" When I heard this I was pretty surprised - it sounded like a drama queen and didn't seem to fit Stanton's personality from other stories I've heard. That bummed me out before the clinic even began!

Fast forward through the clinic (which was great) and someone asked him what his plans were. "Well," Stanton began, "I just came from a clinic in Rhode Island - flew in this morning then drove 1 hour to get to New Hampshire - after doing another clinic in Pennsylvania. I'll do the clinic here, go back to my hotel room for a few hours until I drive back to the airport for a 5:30am flight and fly down to Texas, getting in at 9am. I'm doing a DVD with a friend that we will shoot from 10:30AM til whenver we get it done for the next 2-3 days. Then I'm off to Jacksonville to rehearse with Galactic for our tour that starts in about a week. Then I'm on tour for a while!"

Suddenly, the "rant" the guy heard from before the clinic rang hollow. The dude is crazy busy! If your job is to put on a great show - clinic or performance - you want to sound your best. If you can't, you'd get frustrated. Now you feel you can't perform your best and suddenly it feels like a waste of time. And for someone with that much on their plate, time is money.

Could he have presented his frustration in a different way? Probably. Would it still have fixed the problem like they did? Not sure. But after that, I couldn't help but feel that no matter what the guy sitting next to me said about him being a "prima donna," he's a busy dude and is driven for perfection. Sounds like a lot of us here, no? Can't get too mad at a professional for getting upset - as long as it's not towards a fan. Talked to him after and he was super nice, just looked tired. He still put on a great clinic and I'd easily recommend everyone going to see him. Just be on your game if you're his drum tech!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

There's a good way to bitch and a bad way to bitch. I think everyone has a right to express dissatisfaction to the people who are working there, whoever is in control of whatever they're bitching about. But it's all in the delivery whether you are acting like a prima donna or whether you are just someone who needs something tweaked or made right somehow. Instead of saying "This Sucks" it's better to pinpoint the problem without getting all bent out of shape, and ask for help while offering suggestions. It's a much better experience if the "star" treats the "help" like a star. You can be demanding as you want, as long as you are respectful. The guys who don't show respect are the ones I personally shake my head at. This applies to everyone, everywhere. Treat everyone like a star and see what happens. Now treat them like lackeys and see what happens. I don't go for people who self inflate. The bad day stuff doesn't fly either. You shouldn't belittle fans. Even Vinnie making faces, I thought that was uncalled for. Smartphones are here to stay.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM

I was at the Guitar Center drum off last month and i ran into Travis Barker. Now i just want top go on record that i have never been a big fan of his, i respect his work and think the guy has some decent chops but i always got the impression he was a jerk.... Well i stand corrected the guy is super cool. I got a chance to talk to him for a few minutes and not a bit of attitude or anything from him. Just goes to show you what you see on the net aint always what its cracked up to be.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Drummers with an overabundance of tattoos and piercings (Tommy Lee, for example) rub me the wrong way.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Drummers with an overabundance of tattoos and piercings (Tommy Lee, for example) rub me the wrong way.
So it's a safe bet to assume you're not a Hells Angel?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
So it's a safe bet to assume you're not a Hells Angel?
Anyone know directions to the best local tattoo parlour?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Renegade

Personally, I'm annoyed with Steve Gadd and Bernard Purdie, neither of whom have ever come to my home for an impromptu chat or lesson. The nerve of those guys!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Personally, I'm annoyed with Steve Gadd.......
And the rebrobate has got tats.......there's just less and less to like, I fear.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Mike portnoy......coz he abandoned DT. I know, i know, he wanted a break and everything, which is totally justified, given that he worked all days and nights to keep the band in shape, but his band members let him go, too, so I am pissed at Petrucci, Rudess, LaBrie and Myung too. Dont know what to think. He'll still remain my idol, though, he inspired me to continue drumming after MY hiatus.