DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 AM

Default Losing focus while playing!

Hey guys!

Ive had this problem where when im working through rudiments or grooves I tend to
drift off and not pay much attention and think about other stuff. Im still playing
the rudiment right and on time. I always end up doing this when im going through
STICK CONTROL
Am I making no progress when I am not paying attention?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Losing focus while playing!

Adderall

:)

Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Are you making no progress...Hmm that's a pretty intelligent question....I'm probably not qualified to answer....

But that never stopped me before, so, IMO I think you are still making progress. Maybe not as much as learning something you never worked on before, but progress, at least in the form of internalization, and most likely muscle development/muscle memory, nonetheless.

If you can play what you need and think of other things, I think that should be a goal. Then instead of thinking of other things, you use that brainpower to listen to the other musicians. You need to be able to play your drums on autopilot more or less so you can use most of your brainpower for higher functions, like listening, controlling and adapting.

I'd just say make sure you change books when you can play it all comfortably.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 AM
jackie k
This message has been deleted by jackie k.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

You drift off because it is a monotonous (but necessary) chore. It doesn't take that much brain activity to repeat patterns after you've been doing it for awhile. I would suggest making up rudiment solos.

I have a boring monotonous job, and I'm always fighting with focus and sleepiness. Copy, rotate text, paste, draw an arc. Do that a few thousand times in a row and see how focused you are. I don't even think about what my fingers are doing. Sometimes I click and tap faster than the drafting program can perform the commands. Sometimes I fall asleep for half a minute and see a bunch of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's in the command bar.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
Adderall

I'm ADHD and the OP sound like me - so I've made precious little rudimental or coordination progress. Some ADDers manage to get it together, not sure how.
As far as I can see, there are three broad possibilities ...

1) You love the physical sensation of stick on head/pad and are fascinated by the slight differences in the various patterns and the mechanics of muscle movement and efficiency. Wild horses can't keep you away and you look forward to greater learning from quality instructors.

2) By an act of will you force yourself to persevere because you can see the potential benefits. Maybe you'll learn to love it? Otherwise, it's like saving for a house - no pain, no gain. You go with a teacher because that will speed the process.

3) You just want to play music and hate exercises, so you just play. No patience for lessons. Unless you're very gifted that means playing at a sub-pro level.

4) See a sports / performance psychologist and see what comes of it :)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
Adderall

Lol!!! I need to be put on a continuous drip of this.

I think to some degree getting something to the point where it's monotonous is a great place assuming you've learned it correctly in the focusing stage and are still consistently executing it in the drifting stage. That means (at least to me) you've developed the muscle memory that comes with it. You probably don't give much thought to walking or holding a pencil, etc...

Now take the next step though with Stick Control or rudiments - don't stop there. Apply them in the many ways that those can be done.

Last edited by dmacc; 10-26-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Ive started playing ostinatos with both my feet which makes me think a little more
so I dont lose focus!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:56 AM
Silver Member

Break your practice down into very short segments.

The important thing is to really force yourself to stay on task.
Focusing on a task isn't easy for many of us, but you can get better at it if you practice "focusing".

As they say "be in the moment".

Try something like this;

Try 5 minutes at a stretch, before you reach for another swig of coffee/beer.
Enjoy the distraction of the refreshment ...
and now another 5 minute stretch...etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanadadrummer View Post
Hey guys!

Ive had this problem where when im working through rudiments or grooves I tend to
drift off and not pay much attention and think about other stuff. Im still playing
the rudiment right and on time. I always end up doing this when im going through
STICK CONTROL
Am I making no progress when I am not paying attention?

Thanks!
Stick control can be pretty monotonous. Try mixing it up a little, like playing the hands on Hi hat and snare and playing a simple bass drum pattern.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
http://www.skillpages.com/mike.mccraw
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM

What other stuff do you think of?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM

If you think about the goal of playing these rudiments, I think you'll see that constant focus is not really needed. The goal is to get the motions, timing, grip, etc., into your hands so that they become familiar and you can do them without thinking. These rudiments are the vocabulary words in the language of drumming and you can treat that just as you would any other language. When you become fluent in a language, you can speak without getting bogged down in checking each word carefully -- your attention is on the entire sentence, or the whole remark, or the flow of a complete speech. In the same way, when you become fluent drumming, you can be thinking about the musical phrase, or the song's structure, or the flow of an entire solo. You're free to concentrate on what the rest of the band is playing and how you support and enhance that.

It's kind of like driving a car -- you want some actions to become semi-automatic. That doesn't mean you're not paying attention. It just means that you can be dealing with the larger picture -- the traffic, the route, the road conditions, etc. -- and not be worrying about whether your hands are a 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the wheel.

So go ahead -- if you're keeping time and motion correct, zone on out. You're still getting the benefit of the repetition.