DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Recordings with huge kick drums?

hi, looking for recommendations for albums recorded with kick drums 28" or larger. The more metal the better, but Jazz, Funk, Blues, whatever, anything will do. All the better if there's any double bass included.

Reason being I'm considering getting two 28x14"s myself, but I don't think I've ever heard 28"s recorded.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recordings with huge kick drums?

I think Abe Laboriel Jr. uses a 28 doesn't he? Maybe it's a 26. I don't think I've heard him play any metal, but his kick always sounds meaty.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Abe currently uses a 26,but he has used a 28 while touring with Macca.There are some live dvd,and cd's recorded in early to mid 2000's witn him using a 28.

I don't think that the sound of a miced up 28,be it recorded or live will give you an indication of how the drum really sounds.There's a different technique,and tuning involved in playing a monster like that.

Steve B
Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

I used 28's for a long time. First was a 16x28, and then, a 20x28.
They are better suited for on stage than recording IMO.

The 28 sounds cool to your ears, but for best results in recording, you'd definitely need 2 mic's on it, and best to have 2 tracks also, to get it to have the punch and articulation along with the tone in a recording.
Also, the music played by the rest of the band can't be too deep, or the drum will just get lost.

You'd actually get a bigger sound out of a 20x26, and they are easier to record (I've recorded several things with this size).
For me the 20x26 doesn't get clippy in the tone, and one stroke doesn't get muddied by the next if you play faster.
I have an 18x26, and a 16x26, but I haven't recorded with them.

If you are doing double bass stuff, I'd use 24's, the depth is up to you.

28's are cool, and fun though. I used one for over 10 years, so I'm not going to say "don't do it", but my experience has been that a 26 records better (and a 24 does too) for a "big" sound.

If it's just live you're thinking about, hey, whatever floats your boat is what you should do.

Have fun!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have used 26's on a lot of recordings, but just one with a 28"

http://www.nickmason.org/SaSdwiveMj.html

Wait for my music player to load and check out the song "Jack The Ripper"
I used a 28" for the opening fill, and then a 22" for the rest of the song with the 28" miced as a sub-kick. It's a little low in the mix for my taste, but if you crank you speakers you should hear it.
YouTube
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
audiotech

Having recorded a few kits with 28" bass drums, I would be prone to recommend them more for stage use, although with a little work they can sound good on recordings. If I remember correctly I ended up removing their resonant heads in most situations. The problem with that is the drummer is not accustomed to the decrease in response to his pedal.

Dennis