DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 AM

Default Transporting drums to gigs- carts?

Going into my latest gigging spate (hopefully) I am determined to cut down on my suffering. Years of schlepping drums and amps in and out of clubs, and up and down crappy staircases pretty much destroyed my back.

Now I want to get smarter. I need a big cart that will carry lots of drums. Unfortunately my newfound resolution to reduce back pain coincided with a bigger kit.
I thought I would seek some Drummerworld wisdom...
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Transporting drums to gigs- carts?

Here you go. It's the RocknRoller.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I always considered having a guy to load in, set up, tear down and load out to be a sign of a certain measure of success. If I could find someone who would do it cheap, I'd do it.

Carts are only good when there are no steps, which is rare. There's no getting around the work short of a roadie.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Here you go. It's the RocknRoller.
This thing will save your life. Also consider using as few drums and as light of hardware as possible, you still have to load and unload the cart.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

I've owned my rocknroller cart for 22 years now and it was the best investment I ever made. Yes, over strange terrain, like stairs, of course you can't use it for that. But I can get my entire kit in from a parking lot in one trip. It keeps you from having to hump your gear long distances. It keeps me from having to pull up, unload, then go park. I can park anywhere and roll in in one trip. That's the beauty of it. It saves your back for the stairs or places you otherwise couldn't roll.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM

See, that's why I come here! That cart looks perfect. And it folds up and will fit in my truck.
I will still have to deal with stairs. But this will save a lot of schlepping.
My lumbar disc thanks you....
Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haredrums View Post
This thing will save your life. Also consider using as few drums and as light of hardware as possible, you still have to load and unload the cart.
I just got a new kit- acrylic. It's a five piece, but I added a rack and a full set of electronics. It's a bunch of stuff to haul. The acrylic drums are quite a bit heavier than regular wood ones.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
I just got a new kit- acrylic. It's a five piece, but I added a rack and a full set of electronics. It's a bunch of stuff to haul. The acrylic drums are quite a bit heavier than regular wood ones.
One of these will fit your three toms, snare, bass pedal, and maybe some electronics. It does well on stairs.

One of these are a great way to carry a rack and a few stands:

If you're serious about portability, you might consider losing the rack and consolidate your hardware using clamps and so on.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
One of these will fit your three toms, snare, bass pedal, and maybe some electronics. It does well on stairs.

One of these are a great way to carry a rack and a few stands:

If you're serious about portability, you might consider losing the rack and consolidate your hardware using clamps and so on.

Good luck!
who makes that trap case, I need one!

F
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info.
The rack actually allowed me to ditch two stands. It's actually the rack that came with the electronic kit (Yamaha). But it's sturdy enough to hold a mounted tom, ride cymbal, crash, five pads, a cymbal pad, and the drum brain.
I will post some pics of the new set-up.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM

An important factor to consider that's often overlooked is the benefit of exercise. One of the most common injuries is in the lower back. A strengthening/conditioning or weight-training program would be in your best interests. And by weight-training, don't think body builder or power lifter. A little core strengthening at the least would be a good idea.
It's important (to me at least) to train beyond what I would normally deal with in a day... think "reserve". Also, pay close attention to how you lift when you're moving gear. Form is everything.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 PM

yes my RocknRoller cart has saved me many times. It adjust eight ways or so and is indispensable for gigs and sturdy as heck. Although I gig here in midcoast Maine and have yet to find a venue that doesn't require me to go up or down a staircase or two.

We once did a "showcase" show for a local cable access music show at a popular Portland, ME club. The door in from the sidewalk was a narrow convince store type glass door, and it entered on a mid staircase level. I had to first unload all my gear, get it through the door, just wide enough barely for my bass drum! and fold up my cart. Then I had to go up one flight of stairs to the club, and then back down it around the mid level and then down another flight of stairs with my empty gig bags. This staircase led down to a junky hallway called "the green area". Not a room.. a hallway with a dismal restroom with no working light! I was exhausted the next day! The club itself is nice but whoever designed the stairwells was evil! ugh!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I always considered having a guy to load in, set up, tear down and load out to be a sign of a certain measure of success. If I could find someone who would do it cheap, I'd do it.

Carts are only good when there are no steps, which is rare. There's no getting around the work short of a roadie.
Thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act, ramps are found just about everywhere. I use my Rock-n-Roller cart all the time. Grass is actually much more of an obstacle than steps.