DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Somebody stop me!!!!!1

I'm not stopping you at all. I think if it helps you feel better and you love them, there's no wrong here.

What would be wrong is if you made them all single-headed drums like Chico Hamilton did ;)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
This is the perfect time for me to ask you guys, what is the big deal with vintage drums?
Words ..... are just words. The only way to hear a vintage kit is to hear a vintage kit. I've got seven acoustic kits. Some modern, like the a Yamaha Recording Custom and a RMV .... and some vintage, like a Ludwig Club Date and the Gretsch R.B. And a few that fall somewhere in between. But, you'll never know how they sound unless you hear them.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Words ..... are just words. The only way to hear a vintage kit is to hear a vintage kit. I've got seven acoustic kits. Some modern, like the a Yamaha Recording Custom and a RMV .... and some vintage, like a Ludwig Club Date and the Gretsch R.B. And a few that fall somewhere in between. But, you'll never know how they sound unless you hear them.
Ah come on man! Give me something atleast! this just makes me even more anxious to experience the for myself but, I don't really have the oppertunity to try them.

The closest thing I ever got to hearing vintage drums was back when i was at schook and I wasn't experienced enough to be able to tell what was what.

It was an old Premier kit, probably not as old as it looked though. It had beat up heads and scars all over it but, it sounded wicked. The bass drum was so punchy and like a recorded kick.

Coming to think of it, I've never heard a bad sounding Premier kit and they all have killer bass drums.

But back to my question. Atleast give me a clue as I don't have any way of playing a vintage kit any time soon!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
Ah come on man! Give me something atleast! this just makes me even more anxious to experience the for myself but, I don't really have the oppertunity to try them.

The closest thing I ever got to hearing vintage drums was back when i was at schook and I wasn't experienced enough to be able to tell what was what.

It was an old Premier kit, probably not as old as it looked though. It had beat up heads and scars all over it but, it sounded wicked. The bass drum was so punchy and like a recorded kick.

Coming to think of it, I've never heard a bad sounding Premier kit and they all have killer bass drums.

But back to my question. Atleast give me a clue as I don't have any way of playing a vintage kit any time soon!
Well, you could look at it this way: if you keep your current drums for at least 25 years, they'll be considered vintage, and then you'll hear that sound ;)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm not stopping you at all. I think if it helps you feel better and you love them, there's no wrong here.

What would be wrong is if you made them all single-headed drums like Chico Hamilton did ;)

ha ....good one......good ole Chico
dont think he ever used a reso head in his life.... :)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
ha ....good one......good ole Chico
dont think he ever used a reso head in his life.... :)
The man was ahead of his time. 40 years ago ;)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with the mayor on this one.I'll help you load them.The last few times that I went to Steve Maxwells,I only brought 100 in cash,and left the plastic at home.Its too dangerous being that close to those beautiful vintage drums and cymbals.I almost bought the Morello kit around a year ago.I took a couple of lessons with Joe in the early 90's,so having that kit,would be really special to me.

You're preaching to the choir with me.Nothing like that warm fat vintage sound.

And....hey Chunky......better isn't better...............it's just different.:)

Steve B
Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Harry's right. I've recently restored a vintage (early 60s) bass drum and it doesn't sound like any of my other bass drums. It's got a very 'rounded' tone that's very full. Lovely shell and it has a vibe that I can't really explain. I would happily get hold of a few toms and make up an inexpensive vintage kit and can guarantee that I would play that 90% of the time over my 'newer' drums (that I also love) just because there's a feeling I get from playing an old instrument. It's the odd quirks - the fact that not many 3-ply (6-ply re-ring) shells are made any more and the fact that I've had to transplant odd hardware to make it work. It has a set of hoop-mounted bass drum spurs and a bass drum stopper spike. I love that the 'actual' spurs are hopeless.

All kits sound different and there are good vintage kits and there are bad vintage kits. You really have to play on an older kit to get the kick out of it; it's not all to do with sound.