Tama Granstar bass drum tom mount

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all,

Just got a steal of a deal on a mid- to late-80s Tama Granstar Custom kit in lipstick red. Basic two-up, one down five-piece configuration, but it doesn't come with the bass drum mount for the two toms.

Does anyone here recall which Tama mounts will fit in that base plate? I'm looking for a replacement on eBay and the ones I've found seem cheap enough, but I'm not sure which diameter the tube should be. I recall my '83 Superstar had that huge tom mount with the really big tube. So I'm wondering if Tama went to the smaller diameter tube by the time they came out with the Granstars.

Anybody? I'd appreciate it!

See, we knew it was just a matter of time before you picked up another drum kit! Ha!

I seem to recall the post was pretty big, but it's been a long while since I thought about Grandstars.

See, we knew it was just a matter of time before you picked up another drum kit! Ha!

I seem to recall the post was pretty big, but it's been a long while since I thought about Grandstars.

This upcoming summer "tour" with the horn band had me concerned since I'd be transporting myself and my drums up and down the state and playing outside in the sun on football fields. I literally cooked my stuff just driving three hours to the north! And then we'd be going to Washington DC, but usually somebody would drive the big gear east while the rest of us flew - I really don't want to leave my prized black oysters in the back of somebody's truck driving across the country. Hence, my decision.

I thought it was incredible - an entire kit of Granstar Customs for $399. Pro-level stuff that's a bit scratched up (lacquer finish) that I wouldn't have to worry about, ever. It's a standard 12, 13, 16, with 16x22 bass. So I'll probably go with one rack tom on a snare stand. I already have a second set of hardware, so the only thing traveling with me would be my cymbals and sticks. The Starclassics will not see any abuse this summer. Even if I wasn't going on this adventure, like my mom always says, "I couldn't pass it up!"

Thanks mom for training me never to pass up an incredible deal.

When I get them spiffed-up I'll post some pictures. Part of me thinks the owner doesn't know what he has? He just said they're over 20 years old and there's some scratches and a little bit of rust. Hell, I can work with those limitations!

Thanks for the tom holder info. But the more I think about it, I'm too short for power toms mounted on the bass drum. Have a 8x12 on my regular kit seems a little too tall when using the 2-up 1-down configuration. So I'll probably put the 12" tom on a snare stand and go with a four-piece kit.

It had crossed my mind to get the 13" cut and have it turned into a matching snare. But I'd only have six lugs, and I'm not sure if that's sufficient for snare tensioning. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the tom holder info. But the more I think about it, I'm too short for power toms mounted on the bass drum. Have a 8x12 on my regular kit seems a little too tall when using the 2-up 1-down configuration. So I'll probably put the 12" tom on a snare stand and go with a four-piece kit.

It had crossed my mind to get the 13" cut and have it turned into a matching snare. But I'd only have six lugs, and I'm not sure if that's sufficient for snare tensioning. What do you guys think?

Or cut your 13" just to make it shallower like those hyperdrive... You'll be tall enough then.

GRANSTAR'S are long lugs, how much would you be able to chop? Not enough to make a snare.

... oh yeah, the GRANSTAR'S have the Isosceles style single lugs, I remember.

GRANSTAR CUSTOM came w/long lugs.

I wouldn't cut down the 13, maybe sell it.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 3,089
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:
Here it is Bo, it's the MTH50 double tom holder, standard fit on Crestar, Granstar and Artstar 2, I've got the latter one, but it's not mounted on the BD anymore.

Attachments

• Granstar.jpg
    Granstar.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 1,807
I thought it was incredible - an entire kit of Granstar Customs for $399. Pro-level stuff that's a bit scratched up (lacquer finish) that I wouldn't have to worry about, ever. It's a standard 12, 13, 16, with 16x22 bass.

Holy cow, only $399? Dang, that is a steal.

Here it is Bo, it's the MTH50 double tom holder, standard fit on Crestar, Granstar and Artstar 2, I've got the latter one, but it's not mounted on the BD anymore.

Thanks! I think the downtube is the same size they're using today. But I think I'm a committed four-piece guy on this one. I'll probably have a plate made to cover up the holes once I take off the base plate ;)

That would probably take 10 pounds off of the drum!

Holy cow, only $399? Dang, that is a steal.

I'm having a bit of trouble believing this to be true, but here's one of the eBay pictures. Excuse the moire effect. I shot the picture of the screen just to get it in my phone to email to other people for approval (like my wife). She couldn't believe it either!

There were other pictures showing some of the scratch damage done to the shells, and really, they're are all liveable. I don't need them to be picture-perfect, they're gonna get trashed anyway. But I figured my choices in this price range were something new like a Yamaha Gigmaker, or a Gretsch Energy, both of which are the low-end and definitely won't survive the traveling, or this one, damaged and all, but built to take it in the first place.

The seller told me they've been shipped and I should see them on the 6th, so I'm going to prepare for their arrival with a new set of heads waiting, and maybe I'll get another snare too. But after that, the kit should be ready to roll!

The white specks you see in the picture on the bass drum are some of those scratches the seller was talking about. I think it gives the set character!

Attachments

• Granstars.jpg
    Granstars.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,627
The seller told me they've been shipped and I should see them on the 6th, so I'm going to prepare for their arrival with a new set of heads waiting, r!

I had 3 of those kits Bo...... My FAVORITE metal parts for ANY series. They are just so damnn cool looking, and the bass hoop claws are the coolest in the business, still to this day IMO.

One thing you will probably notice.. the edges are VERY rounded from what I remember.. Slightly thicker heads work best IMO.

I had 3 of those kits Bo...... My FAVORITE metal parts for ANY series. They are just so damnn cool looking, and the bass hoop claws are the coolest in the business, still to this day IMO.

One thing you will probably notice.. the edges are VERY rounded from what I remember.. Slightly thicker heads work best IMO.

Would Evans G2s be sufficient? Or thicker?

Those are probably fine. Is that the 2 ply you like the most ??

I'm not picky. I'm always going between Emperors or G2's - sometimes it depends on what stores have in stock. I ended up with Evans once because they didn't have all the sizes of Emperors I needed and vice-versa. But I'm using G2s and an EQ4 on my black oyster Starclassics now and the drums sound awesome. I do notice the Remos seem to be livelier and last a bit longer before they go completely dead, but that's only if I neglect to change them out. When I'm working alot I tend to swap batter heads about every three weeks to be safe.

I'm wondering, since this would be my It came from the '80s drumset, if I should put Pinstripes and a PowerStroke 4? Then I have that black dot I can use for my front reso, as my homage to the 70s..... ;)

I I do notice the Remos seem to be livelier and last a bit longer before they go completely dead, .

I'm wondering, since this would be my It came from the '80s drumset, if I should put Pinstripes and a PowerStroke 4? Then I have that black dot I can use for my front reso, as my homage to the 70s..... ;)

Yeah.. the Clear Emp's would probably be the perfect compromise.. The PS4 for kick batter is WAY MUFFLED IMO. I would stay away from it.. Just use a 3 clear maybe..

Back