Remo Powesronic Problem and Review

M

Mystic

Alright guys so I just got my Powersonic bass heads and put them on both of my bass drums and I gotta say it is the best head I have used, it requires no pillow and the dampening is already done for you and it just sounds great, it even increased the volume because I don't have to use a pillow. On the other hand I ran into a problem with the head. When I received it, 1 of the foam rings on 1 of the heads was peeling off like the glue didn't stick very well and I have tried mending it with super glue which sort of worked, but I didn't have enough so is there any other method I could use besides sending it back because I don't wanna have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get my next head, I have materials such as double sided clear tape, rubber cement, wood glue, and duct tape. If anyone could give me advice on how to repair the ring please tell me it would be much appreciated, and if you have a better method that requires me to buy something else please let me know.

cmon dont tell me none of you old drum cats don't know..... : /

Ok since no one seems to know I will give u guys an update. i have been applying layers of rubber cement and letting it dry between the ring and head and it seems to be doing well, so hopefully this is as far as I have to go.

cmon dont tell me none of you old drum cats don't know..... : /

I hope your repair works, Mystic.

As a horrifyingly old drum cat, I would say that some of us wouldn't go near a severly muffled head such as the powersonic in a million years. For my purposes anyway (playing live unmiked with a fairly loud band) I can't use anything so heavily muffled because it makes the bass drum too soft. So I can't make proper use of the Aquarians, Emads, and Powersonics.

These days, as gimmicky as I get is the PS3, which I use front and rear, no port and nothing in the drum. Before that it was single-ply heads with felt strips, so I really feel as if I've joined the 20th century! (Never mind that it's the 21st!)

I hope your repair works, Mystic.
These days, as gimmicky as I get is the PS3, which I use front and rear, no port and nothing in the drum. Before that it was single-ply heads with felt strips, so I really feel as if I've joined the 20th century! (Never mind that it's the 21st!)

I still like the EMAD2, but's that's mostly for practice at the house.The PS3s are great live heads. I agree, run em wide open.

I have a Powersonic. It came on a kit I picked up a while back. It was an OK sounding head. I did notice one of the foam rings was starting to come off as the OP mentioned.

I really dislike the Powersonic heads personally. Ive received many complaints about the rings and the pouches disintegrating, so youre definitely not alone. I tried one out on a Starclassic Maple and the kick was completely dead. Fearing it may have been the drum, I replaced it with an EMAD and the thing came alive. I subsequently put the Powersonic on a Force 3007 and the same thing occurred.

Im glad to hear that youre happy with the sound, but it makes me wonder how much youre still missing out on by not trying something different

Sorry to sound so scathing, but I sometimes wonder if maybe Remo only invented the thing to try to recoup the growing number of people deserting their product in favour of EMADs and Superkicks. If you like the Remo stuff, try a PS3 which is a proven winner for many people.

I really dislike the Powersonic heads personally. Ive received many complaints about the rings and the pouches disintegrating, so youre definitely not alone. I tried one out on a Starclassic Maple and the kick was completely dead. Fearing it may have been the drum, I replaced it with an EMAD and the thing came alive. I subsequently put the Powersonic on a Force 3007 and the same thing occurred.

Im glad to hear that youre happy with the sound, but it makes me wonder how much youre still missing out on by not trying something different

Sorry to sound so scathing, but I sometimes wonder if maybe Remo only invented the thing to try to recoup the growing number of people deserting their product in favour of EMADs and Superkicks. If you like the Remo stuff, try a PS3 which is a proven winner for many people.
A little fyi I have the PS3 on my reso and I have had them on my batters for months, so save me the advice. Anyway for ppl that use double bass as excessively as I do with no mics needs something like this to kill the ringing and keep in mind im not gigging and I am in a small room, now if I was in a big club it may be a different story, but as of now it is what it is and I like the powersonic because it requires no additional muffling, ty and good night.

A little fyi I have the PS3 on my reso and I have had them on my batters for months, so save me the advice. Anyway for ppl that use double bass as excessively as I do with no mics needs something like this to kill the ringing and keep in mind im not gigging and I am in a small room, now if I was in a big club it may be a different story, but as of now it is what it is and I like the powersonic because it requires no additional muffling, ty and good night.

You ask for advice, you get advice.

I'm sure those heads are perfect for your practice room--when they aren't falling apart.

You ask for advice, you get advice.

I'm sure those heads are perfect for your practice room--when they aren't falling apart.

I didn't ask for advice about sound quality I asked for advice about repairing my head.....

3M double-stick tape is great for projects such as this. If the rubber cement doesn't work out, give the tape a shot..

so save me the advice. Anyway for ppl that use double bass as excessively as I do with no mics needs something like this to kill the ringing and keep in mind im not gigging and I am in a small room, now if I was in a big club it may be a different story, but as of now it is what it is and I like the powersonic because it requires no additional muffling, ty and good night.
I DO use double kick a lot, and being mic'd is a reason FOR deadening the sound of your kicks. Neither the EMAD or Superkick require additional muffling either, and I suggested them because you mentioned you were having issues with the durability of the Remo heads.

If you have a defective drumhead, take it back to the store, and use the trip as an excuse to swap it with something else - and maybe try a different brand. So many players I know have foregone the sound/head they wanted because it wasnt 'the brand they play'.

Thank some of you for the positive feedback that is relevant to the topic. For now I plan on sticking to remo, I would like to find the perfect combination of heads with 1 brand b4 going to others and starting fresh, but Aquarian will be my next stop, so anyway I called Remo and told them the problem and they took my address info and they are sending me a replacement no charge and no return, so cheers to Remo for this great oppurtunity and the rubber cement did end up working after all, but Remo told me they have been getting this problem report a lot from other customers, so they need a new sticky material for the head.

I have had my powersonic for over a year now and the foam rings are still doing fine. The snap-on pillow is damaged at the buttons though so I gotta be careful when I tear it off, but with the head being over a year old replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea. I probably wouldn't get a replacement anyway after this much time and use.

As much as I like the powersonic, I might try Powerstroke 4 next. Though I don't need the sustain, I generally play mic'd - or in the practise room.

I have had my powersonic for over a year now and the foam rings are still doing fine. The snap-on pillow is damaged at the buttons though so I gotta be careful when I tear it off, but with the head being over a year old replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea. I probably wouldn't get a replacement anyway after this much time and use.

As much as I like the powersonic, I might try Powerstroke 4 next. Though I don't need the sustain, I generally play mic'd - or in the practise room.
Hmmm maybe I just got a bad head because my dad got 1 too and it was fine and I have 2 bass drums and the other 1 I got was fine as well.

Back