Evans magnetic drum key?

I wish that someone would post a pic or a video that shows an Evans key not fitting a tension rod.

I wish that someone would post a pic or a video that shows an Evans key not fitting a tension rod.

I made a quick video comparing a Tama Key, a Yamaha key, a DW key, an Evans torque key and two standard Evans Magnetic keys to show exactly how they work on a Tama Starclassic Bubinga snare drum tension rod. I just got to figure how to get this 2 minute video on this thread, lol.

Dennis

My DW rack came with two different nylon clips. One to clip on the rack, and or one to clip on a cymbal or hi-hat stand. I use both on my hi-hat rack. One for my large DW rack clamps, and one for my DW drum key.

I made a quick video comparing a Tama Key, a Yamaha key, a DW key, an Evans torque key and two standard Evans Magnetic keys to show exactly how they work on a Tama Starclassic Bubinga snare drum tension rod. I just got to figure how to get this 2 minute video on this thread, lol.

Dennis
Just put it on You Tube and link it dennis.

Just put it on You Tube and link it dennis.

I had to get the down load from YouTube since I never belonged to it and something just isn't working. I'm getting a red letter statement saying that my retry is exceeded. I'll figure this computer gizmo out soon or later, lol. I'm glad I don't go by videotech.

belairien's video is basically similar to mine in the fact that the key just turns without fully contacting the tension rod's head.

Dennis

Here is what I use.
IMG_3055.jpg

I had to get the down load from YouTube since I never belonged to it and something just isn't working. I'm getting a red letter statement saying that my retry is exceeded. I'll figure this computer gizmo out soon or later, lol. I'm glad I don't go by videotech.

belairien's video is basically similar to mine in the fact that the key just turns without fully contacting the tension rod's head.

Dennis
Interesting, Its not easy being you! :)
I don't ever remember having to download anything from You Tube. I simply joined and I was able to upload from iMovie. I also sometimes turn my iMovie projects into iTunes movies and I then upload them. I also upload right from QuickTime.

Anyway, thanks belairien, your vid was short and concise.
Seeing is believing.
I wish that you had shown a close up of how loose the key fits on the rod.
I have about five drum keys from Gretsch, Pearl, Sonor, etc and I mix and match them on all of my kits without problem.

Interesting, Its not easy being you! :)
I don't ever remember having to download anything from You Tube. I simply joined and I was able to upload from iMovie. I also sometimes turn my iMovie projects into iTunes movies and I then upload them. I also upload right from QuickTime.

Anyway, thanks belairien, your vid was short and concise.
Seeing is believing.
I wish that you had shown a close up of how loose the key fits on the rod.
I have about five drum keys from Gretsch, Pearl, Sonor, etc and I mix and match them on all of my kits without problem.

I had little battery power in my camera, and can't find my charger. when i find it i will upload a longer one.

I believe this might just work now. YouTube video #1 for me.

BTW, each of my Evans Magnetic keys work on all my other drum kits. I think it's a combination of Tama's small heads on their tension rods and Evans loose fitting magnetic key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAn-Gx2alc

Sorry about the poor video quality, my cameraman was out to lunch.

Dennis

show that to evansprez!

I emailed that problem to Evans almost two years ago and never got a reply. I probably will approach him about it in the near future. Those Magnetic keys just fit too loosely even on standard size tension rod heads. There's just too much slop in their tooling.

Dennis

How well do they work in general?. Are they worth the dough?.

On every other drum manufacturers kits that I tried they work well, but as I already stated, they do fit loosely on all tension rods. I like to keep one on my floor tom because I like a key very handy to me and being magnetic, they don't vibrate as much as a regular key which in turn keeps a cleaner signal going into the mics.

Dennis

Back