Guitars for Mommy!

SGT_Drummer

ok, so since I have been in Iraq I have missed my mother's Birthday as well as Christmas without sending her gifts. (I'm a horrible son, yes, I know), but I intend on making this up to her. Let me explain my mom real quick. She has played guitar for as long as I can remember, and she plays for her church. She's not the 'rock mom' some of you may be thinking of. She doesn't do crazy solo's or try to do anything to show off, she's very humble would be a good way to put it. But she can play! She is easily the best female guitarist I have ever met. Since she's playing in church she sticks to just chords basically, to make the music sound more full. There have been numerous people who have come up to her amazed at how well she plays. She never misses a string, a note, or a beat. She can switch from any chord you can think of to another in under a 16th note, and does it perfectly.

So yeah, my mom knows her stuff, but the problem is she has never had the extra money to just throw into her guitar. She's always playing no name Fender Strat rip-offs, and that has always ticked me off. So while I was home this last time looking at guitars with her it dawned on me that a very nice top of the line guitar would be perfect for her. So that's what I'm going to get her.

Now here's my dilema, I'm a drummer, on a drummer's forum.... I know the equivalent of nothing when it comes to guitars. So my question is, along the lines Solid body electric guitars playing rythym, what should I get? I honestly want to spend a good deal on this guitar so nothing is too outlandish. (Except for maybe a signed Jimi Hendrix guitar lol) I'm thinking the Rickenbacker 620 in Mapleglo. =D

I don't know to much about Rickenbackers but you can't go wrong with any of those top brands as well as fender, gibson, prs etc

Do you know what your mum would prefer in a guitar eg, solid/hollow body, humbuckers or single coil pickups, neck length etc. If she's never had an expensive guitar before she'll be pretty stoked with anything top of the line though if you don't know what she prefers. I imagine she'd prefer something better for playing rhythm and chords rather than a super thin shreddy guitar.

I've got a Schecter S-1 Elite which is a cool rock guitar. The Schecter's were real good value for money. shame they went bust.

I don't know to much about Rickenbackers but you can't go wrong with any of those top brands as well as fender, gibson, prs etc

Do you know what your mum would prefer in a guitar eg, solid/hollow body, humbuckers or single coil pickups, neck length etc. If she's never had an expensive guitar before she'll be pretty stoked with anything top of the line though if you don't know what she prefers. I imagine she'd prefer something better for playing rhythm and chords rather than a super thin shreddy guitar.

I've got a Schecter S-1 Elite which is a cool rock guitar. The Schecter's were real good value for money. shame they went bust.

hey thanks! i know she prefers solid body. i tried getting her to look at some hollow-bodies because that is what i generally prefer, but she didn't seem interested in them as much. as far as pick ups, and neck length, and all that stuff... i don't have a clue lol.

Your Mom seems to have chosen the Strat. Even though she is playing a knock off, The concept of the Strat is the same. Many copies of Strats play similar to the real ones. Perhaps she would like the real thing! What is her favorite color?

I would actually go for a Strat as well. I own a (slightly strange) Fender Strat and it's great - obviously. Now there are dozens of options within that as well. There are the relatively cheap Mexican Strats, which are actually absolutely fine and then there are the American Strats, which are better and in turn a lot more expensive for the extra return in quality.

I recently played a FANTASTIC Telecaster that was quite a cheap model. I'll look up what it was, but it was a Mexican model and absolutely stunning.

Rickenbackers are amazing, but very esoteric. You have to be absolutely sure that she'll want one before you buy it because they don't work for everyone.

I'll second, (or third, whatever) the Strat. I recommend getting an American one if you can fit it in the budget, $700 bucks for a Highway One, which are good value for the dollar.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768#new

The Highway One Strat is an excellent guitar. Whilst there are individual differences between each guitar, there is a certain guarantee when you buy an American Fender. I will vouch for my Fender (which isn't even an American guitar) as a stunning piece of work. Another advantage to owning a Strat is that parts are incredibly easy to buy. I've replaced most of the hardware on mine in the year since I've owned it (as well as rewired it). It might be worth buying her a good guitar strap (wide leather) and a set of strings (get some gauge 10's - halfway between everything, I play much heavier, but my playing style requires that I really have to dig in).

Again, to reiterate, Highway One Stratocasters are EXCELLENT guitars. If she's already playing a Strat copy, get her the real deal.

Everyone is saying strats but I'd go for a tele. the highway one tele in black is sexy. Plus after a short while the paint gets wear from where ever you touch it when you play giving it a cool vintage look!

a gift card for the music store w/ about $900 and take her w/ you so she can pick out her own. think about if someone bought a 13 inch snare for you that cost alot of $$$ and you just don't feel it. you could try to trick her into trying different ones and buy the one she picks.
That is if your home from iraq that is.
-george

PRS makes wonderful instruments if you can find someone with a good selection of them.

Fender generally puts out a good instrument, a Mexican made Strat is still a very formidable instrument in most situations.

I'm down on Gibson because of a friend who bought a 8k arch-top jazz guitar and the pickups came wired backwards, I think that epiphones play better for the price.

Best way to handle it would be to go with her and get her to choose the guitar she really wants. It is really all about the player.

Back