The "Loundess War" is over?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/10/28/itunesloudness

I must say, I'm so glad to hear this is going in to effect! I've always been bothered by mixing on albums like Rush's Vapour Trails (Or RHCP's I'm With You, or every metal album ever), where it's so loud it actually clips in some spots! Beneath is a fantastic album but my ears would always fatigue long before the album was over. Now I'll finally be able to get through new albums again!

Although I do wonder if the iTunes radio thing would force bands to re-master their songs that have already been released? That would be very expensive and I have a feeling there would be enough of a revolt that it might be revoked...

Anywho, what do you guys think?

-Jonathan

If only manufacturers of televisions would do the same thing, so that the loudness of commercials will be as quiet or quieter than all the other content...

Good idea!

I think one thing that encouraged compression was car radios - when the volume drops you lose it under the ambient noise. Since then it's become a formula.

As for TV advertisers, since they're not allowed to exceed the peak volume of a program, they sit at that peak the whole time. Meanwhile, you need to turn up to hear characters speaking in a near whisper in a dramatic moment but when the ads come on it's like an explosion. So you turn down until you start missing quiet dialogue again so you need to turn up ...

As much as I want an end to the loudness war, I don't ever want a company (especially Apple) holding producers/bands by their jewels about how they can master their music.

As much as I want an end to the loudness war, I don't ever want a company (especially Apple) holding producers/bands by their jewels about how they can master their music.

Although I do agree with this musicians that want to make money with their records will never stop. Thats the whole reason for mega compression mastering in the first place. Loud music sells better. Period. Although that leaves me scratching my head as to why some of my favorite recent fusion records are compressed to the point of pain. Id love to see someone turn the clock back on some of those....

Good idea!

I think one thing that encouraged compression was car radios - when the volume drops you lose it under the ambient noise. Since then it's become a formula.

As for TV advertisers, since they're not allowed to exceed the peak volume of a program, they sit at that peak the whole time. Meanwhile, you need to turn up to hear characters speaking in a near whisper in a dramatic moment but when the ads come on it's like an explosion. So you turn down until you start missing quiet dialogue again so you need to turn up ...

Grea,in the US,the FCC (federal communications commission) enacted laws,the say commercials MUST be at or below the TV programs volume they accompany.These went into effect in December 2012.

This applies to broadcast,cable or satallite TV.It's nice not having someone annoying jerk ,screaming at you, trying to sell you something you don't need at 10 O'clock at night.And if you act now,they'll double the offer for free,so you'll have twice as much junk.

But as far as sheer volume,have you ever heard a 100 piece Symphony Orchestra live?Holy ringing ear drums Batman.

Steve B

Not really sure how I feel about this. What if Warner Brothers records had decided to turn down the guitar distortion levels (technically overdriving a vaccuum tube, something many people at the time were firmly against) on the first Black Sabbath album. I am against altering anybodys artistic vision in any way, even if we assume it to be for the common good.

I personally could care less if the new Kary Perry album is compressed to hell. Or if the latest Verb the Noun whatevercore band have songs with no dynamics. The bands with talent will continue to make albums worth listening to and the high compression phase will come and go on its own like so many other musical fads.

I personally could care less if the new Kary Perry album is compressed to hell. Or if the latest Verb the Noun whatevercore band have songs with no dynamics. The bands with talent will continue to make albums worth listening to and the high compression phase will come and go on its own like so many other musical fads.

Coolest. Post. Ever.

But as far as sheer volume,have you ever heard a 100 piece Symphony Orchestra live?Holy ringing ear drums Batman.

Steve B
Yes Steve, it's wonderful isn't it! That orchestra may be loud, but it's also dynamic - something that compressed recordings certainly are not. I hate compression in general, but especially because it sucks all those big dynamics out of the music. I notice this especially when we upload one of our drum videos to Youtube, although their compression is fairly measured compared to some media.

Isn't it a pity that the advancements in recording methods are stifled by the need to compress. Without compression, or at least, with measured use, a modern recording involving real instruments can be something wonderful, but alas, we rarely get to hear it. Company sponsored drum marketing videos are real offenders too. They go for impressive, & that completely removes their value in terms of really getting to hear what the instrument produces. Even worse now, recordings purporting to be "natural" are often anything but. They still can't resist mastering to full volume using compression tools.

I was lucky enough to hear the New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center,in rehearsal when I was still in uniform assigned to the 20 Precinct in Manhattans upper west side.(this is what most people think of as New York City,but the Boro of Manhattan is actually a part of NYC)That day,I was assigned as a 1 of 4 police officers who provide security to a national treasure.

Anyway,there was over 100 pieces there and they were playing some "music from the movies"The selections were from"A big Country", 2001 A Space Odyssey",Star Wars" and Star Trek" among others.

To hear that music live,especially some of the music from "Star Trek,The Motion Picture",played by the NY Philharmonic,was in two words, breath taking .

The dynamics were all a part of every piece,but when it got loud,it was louder than most concerts I've ever been to.

It was at that point, where I really understood why audiophiles,spend thousands on the some of the best and most powerful audio equipment in the world.To truly come even close, to reproducing that music,as it was meant to be heard,you need equipnent that will deliver every nuances ,at every dynamic range.

In other words,sometimes,you need to go to 11.:)

Steve B

Back