DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default How to trawl craigslist for deals

We all hope to stumble across that holy grail deal on CL where you almost feel bad...
Does anyone else intentionally misspell search terms in the hopes of gaining advantage? i.e. symbol/cimble/cymbol/etc.
Any other strategies? It's not really feasible to just go through all listings here in NYC to find that needle in the haystack...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,252
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
We all hope to stumble across that holy grail deal on CL where you almost feel bad...
Does anyone else intentionally misspell search terms in the hopes of gaining advantage? i.e. symbol/cimble/cymbol/etc.
Any other strategies? It's not really feasible to just go through all listings here in NYC to find that needle in the haystack...
I usually use "drum" because it's much harder to misspell that word. Seattle is a great big used market, too, and that takes me down to a couple hundred listings instead of several thousand.

I tend to glance at underpriced and unnamed drumsets ("red drums $150", "misc drums $1") because sometimes you find diamonds in the rough. A set of K/Z hi-hats and three cymbal stands for $100? Yes all day, thank you.

I always take a second look at "Remo Weather Master" drums because it could be a budget piece of crap or it could be a first-generation Acrolite going for $75.

I also trawl the Goodwill listings because if I've ever seen a case of not knowing you're holding a piece of gold in your hand, it's those listings. Having said that, the secret's out for the most part and stuff gets bid up to its real value in short order these days.

Reverb is pretty decent, more reasonable than eBay and way more reliable than Craigslist. Guitar Center used is a crapshoot and if I can't walk in and touch it with my own hands, I don't trust their listings.

I also love going to the closest Five-Star shop (Donn Bennett's, natch) and looking at their used gear - which is often for a bargain.

All this means that besides heads and sticks, I rarely buy new anymore unless it's something I can't get used at all. Like a Guru snare ;)
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 AM
Trigger Trigger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pukekohe - New Zealand.
Posts: 178
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
It's not really feasible to just go through all listings here in NYC to find that needle in the haystack...
A lot of people are willing to do that, and will find that needle.

Seriously you just have to be on it all the time, and quick.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
We all hope to stumble across that holy grail deal on CL where you almost feel bad...
Does anyone else intentionally misspell search terms in the hopes of gaining advantage? i.e. symbol/cimble/cymbol/etc.
Any other strategies? It's not really feasible to just go through all listings here in NYC to find that needle in the haystack...
I found a Fibes snare drum by searching for phibes .
If they spell it like that ,they usually don't know what they have(which is good).
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Oh yes the listing of a drum by the brand of the head. Must be real confusing if the person uses say an Aquarian snare side with an Evans batter! And even better when the only pics are of... the heads.

I guess my intended spirit of this thread is, "what hilarious misspellings have you come across buying used drum gear, and do you use it to try to find deals..."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

I have seen a Sabina (Sabian cymbal) in an ad one time but it was under sabian.

I don’t use misspelling queries, instead I use keywords.
I am hunting daily for 6” and 8” vistalite (red) concert Toms I will use “acrylic” “concert” Toms to search Craigslist and eBay. In those sizes I have seen tons of smoke, clear, blue, lifesaver color, Amber, yellow those and green may be the holy grail for vistalite color and size.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransan View Post
I have seen a Sabina (Sabian cymbal) in an ad one time but it was under sabian.

I don’t use misspelling queries, instead I use keywords.
I am hunting daily for 6” and 8” vistalite (red) concert Toms I will use “acrylic” “concert” Toms to search Craigslist and eBay. In those sizes I have seen tons of smoke, clear, blue, lifesaver color, Amber, yellow those and green may be the holy grail for vistalite color and size.
I'm shocked at how many blue vistas I come across when I do a search. Like, more than clear ones themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 PM
jdhardrummer's Avatar
jdhardrummer jdhardrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 98
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

I'm in SF, it's not that bad but I use an iPhone app called Newsify. Setup your search in Craigslist (I usually search by subject and anything with a picture within X miles), get the RSS feed link and plug it into Newsify.

You will easily see new listings and it's much faster To keep on top of compared to going to the site itself.
__________________
@jdhardrummer
YouTube
FB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,456
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

I have made thousands of dollars by buying low and selling high on CL.

One lady was selling her husbands drums (he left her, so she was selling cheap). It was mostly crap, but in the corner of the picture I see the edge of a cymbal with three horizontal lines. Knowing what the logo of a Zildjian K is, I sent a message and went to look at the stuff. Amidst all of the cheap crap was a full set of K's. Funny thing is she had the ZBT's displayed because she thought the K's were cheap because they were thinner! I bought all of it for $500 and made my money back on the cymbals alone.

Similar story with a guy selling stuff he got when he bought a storage room. He had an 80's Ludwig Rocker set (not worth much) but it had a full set of Giant Beats. I think I paid $200 for all of it, donated the set and hardware and sold the cymbals for a profit.

I have a Peavey Windsor that I paid $50 bucks for because one of the channels didnt work. One new input jack later, I have a killer sounding amp.

Its all about having a keen eye and understanding that sometimes junk is just junk, but sometimes there are gems hidden in the junk.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,252
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I have made thousands of dollars by buying low and selling high on CL.

One lady was selling her husbands drums (he left her, so she was selling cheap). It was mostly crap, but in the corner of the picture I see the edge of a cymbal with three horizontal lines. Knowing what the logo of a Zildjian K is, I sent a message and went to look at the stuff. Amidst all of the cheap crap was a full set of K's. Funny thing is she had the ZBT's displayed because she thought the K's were cheap because they were thinner! I bought all of it for $500 and made my money back on the cymbals alone.

Similar story with a guy selling stuff he got when he bought a storage room. He had an 80's Ludwig Rocker set (not worth much) but it had a full set of Giant Beats. I think I paid $200 for all of it, donated the set and hardware and sold the cymbals for a profit.

I have a Peavey Windsor that I paid $50 bucks for because one of the channels didnt work. One new input jack later, I have a killer sounding amp.

Its all about having a keen eye and understanding that sometimes junk is just junk, but sometimes there are gems hidden in the junk.
Reminds me of how I found that A Zildjian & Cie Constantinople in the local pawn shop for $60 behind a pile of ZBTs. Sold it for $150 some months ago. Some folks just don't know how to internet.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I have made thousands of dollars by buying low and selling high on CL.

One lady was selling her husbands drums (he left her, so she was selling cheap). It was mostly crap, but in the corner of the picture I see the edge of a cymbal with three horizontal lines. Knowing what the logo of a Zildjian K is, I sent a message and went to look at the stuff. Amidst all of the cheap crap was a full set of K's. Funny thing is she had the ZBT's displayed because she thought the K's were cheap because they were thinner! I bought all of it for $500 and made my money back on the cymbals alone.

Similar story with a guy selling stuff he got when he bought a storage room. He had an 80's Ludwig Rocker set (not worth much) but it had a full set of Giant Beats. I think I paid $200 for all of it, donated the set and hardware and sold the cymbals for a profit.

I have a Peavey Windsor that I paid $50 bucks for because one of the channels didnt work. One new input jack later, I have a killer sounding amp.

Its all about having a keen eye and understanding that sometimes junk is just junk, but sometimes there are gems hidden in the junk.
That's awesome. Peeping the edge of a vented "K" logo in the background of the pic... well done.

My best CL score was a K 16" med-thin crash that a guy was selling for $100. Not the steal of the century by any means but I know if I wanted to sell it I'd make $50 on top easy. And I'd love to and put it towards its 18" counterpart which I like much better, but those are so much harder to come by...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 586
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Anyone who TROLLS for gear with the intent of making a profit falls somewhere between a cockroach, and that white stuff that builds up in the corner of your mouth when you are really thirsty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Holy mackerel look at this; it looks like both a dream and a nightmare! And do I see... SPOXE?

I actually live not that far from there, maybe I should go take a look... but I'm skeered...
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is online now
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,181
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

I go to Musical Instruments and just scroll through. Never know what you may find. Thats how I found my Renown set.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
Anyone who TROLLS for gear with the intent of making a profit falls somewhere between a cockroach, and that white stuff that builds up in the corner of your mouth when you are really thirsty.
I do it in the hopes of finding a good deal for my own use. I don't have the capital, space, or desire to flip!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,058
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
It was mostly crap, but in the corner of the picture I see ......
Exactly...the picture!
There is a lot of junk out there, but sometimes junk mixed with gems. I have no technique other than searching ads and pictures and yes you have to act right away.
My last big find was for $75 - an painted Westbury kit in a corner, piled high with cheap hardware, and there at the bottom of the pic I recognized a Stick saver hoop on a blue sparkle drum.
Ended up being a 1959 Slingerland Radio King snare. Sold all the hardware for $100 and basically got it for free.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
I'm shocked at how many blue vistas I come across when I do a search. Like, more than clear ones themselves.
My apologies OP for sidetracking.
Yessr - would be weary of reissues, and it’s funny all vistalites for sale on advertisements are from “1978” lol, it’s a conservative guess (even seen a vista kit with an accent badges and was attributed to that year 😄), it’s like how are all serial numbers going to that date while I’m having trouble dating my vistalite kit?!

I saw a couple of months a blue vista floor tom 18” on offer up that had a glass plate and used as a coffee table for 150? Not sure if there were any issues with it though, but I wish ruby vista orphans were priced that low.

I may try to find that add and post, I have an idea for another thread if I do.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:24 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
Anyone who TROLLS for gear with the intent of making a profit falls somewhere between a cockroach, and that white stuff that builds up in the corner of your mouth when you are really thirsty.
You don't like money?
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 AM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
Holy mackerel look at this; it looks like both a dream and a nightmare! And do I see... SPOXE?

I actually live not that far from there, maybe I should go take a look... but I'm skeered...
Yes it is a SPOXE. The cymbal on top of the one with tape is a Sabian, and I see a Yamaha pedal also. Go check it out.

EDIT: bottom left also appears to be a partial Tama logo.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?

Last edited by MrInsanePolack; 10-12-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Can't stop looking at the picture
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
Anyone who TROLLS for gear with the intent of making a profit falls somewhere between a cockroach, and that white stuff that builds up in the corner of your mouth when you are really thirsty.
Hahahahahahaha, are you being serious right now? So, buying something for one price, then selling it for a higher price is wrong in your eyes? Because that's literally what happens with pretty much every product ever made. That's how businesses (and individuals) make money. Do you think you've been getting products for what it costs the company to make them? No. The product costs the company X amount to make/get from other manufacturers, and they mark it up for you to buy, so that they can make money... AKA buying low and selling high. It's the same thing.

Sounds like you're just bitter because people are beating you to the good deals.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Hello Hippy what is your logic?

Do you not encourage capital trade for profit I.e. driving the average list prices due to markup?
Do you want more items to be “of one owner”?
Do you think that condition diminishes as it gets passed along, for the sake of the true collector?
Do you have high hopes on getting an item only to have it sell right out from under you?

If so I can understand but that’s a low place to put a purveyor, no?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransan View Post
Hello Hippy what is your logic?

Do you not encourage capital trade for profit I.e. driving the average list prices due to markup?
Do you want more items to be “of one owner”?
Do you think that condition diminishes as it gets passed along, for the sake of the true collector?
Do you have high hopes on getting an item only to have it sell right out from under you?

If so I can understand but that’s a low place to put a purveyor, no?
I've come across other folks that have the same disdain for resellers/profiters that Hippy seems to have. It starts with "I found a great deal on a piece of gear I want, but some @$$hole beat me to it, then relisted at a higher (often still fair) price". And typically arrives at some variation of "I actually wanted the item. That person just wants money. They're greedy.". They think that their reason for wanting the deal was somehow more valid than the "evil reseller". These types never stop to think that flipping gear could be a significant source of income for some people. A drummer's want for a piece of gear is not more important than a flipper being able to make his car payment. But these people don't understand that. They're just jealous they missed out.

Diligence pays off. If you want a good deal, keep a close eye on craigslist. If you frequently miss out on good deals, that just means that you're not dedicated enough. In other words, you snooze, you lose. I find/get awesome CL deals all the time (some I keep, some I sell). Then again, I check all my local CLs about every couple hours (sometimes more often even), except when I'm sleeping of course.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Yessr! I was hoping he would elaborate rather than leave it at that. I know places like GC will lowball for items then sell for decent markup. Also I know there are some that would like a collectible item rather than an item that is a player conditioned item, and there are some who want kid gloves handling as they would like that 1 owner sales pitch even if it’s not true. I fall under all three of these but understand commerce takes place, as you say cutaway you snooze you loose I know I have.

I think jdhardrummer has the best way of going about the CL or mass region search inquiry by using the RSS feed method. When I bid (I don’t like to bid and would rather “buy it now”) on the 16” red vistalite floor tom from eBay I looked at what would be the best way to bid as I had lost out on some before. They pointed me in the RSS direction but I didn’t have enough time and am not that great at first time comprehension lol with only about 2 hours left, so I just ultimately bid very high. In searching, I found out the bid will only incrementally increase and you could put a not to exceed value. Needless to say I won for a little over $350, and was happy as a lark (can’t believe how high the red vista snares are going for, could almost buy 2 black beauty’s lol). But I wish CL had a national or even a statewide search rather than going to city to city.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:35 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransan View Post
Yessr! I was hoping he would elaborate rather than leave it at that. I know places like GC will lowball for items then sell for decent markup. Also I know there are some that would like a collectible item rather than an item that is a player conditioned item, and there are some who want kid gloves handling as they would like that 1 owner sales pitch even if it’s not true. I fall under all three of these but understand commerce takes place, as you say cutaway you snooze you loose I know I have.

I think jdhardrummer has the best way of going about the CL or mass region search inquiry by using the RSS feed method. When I bid (I don’t like to bid and would rather “buy it now”) on the 16” red vistalite floor tom from eBay I looked at what would be the best way to bid as I had lost out on some before. They pointed me in the RSS direction but I didn’t have enough time and am not that great at first time comprehension lol with only about 2 hours left, so I just ultimately bid very high. In searching, I found out the bid will only incrementally increase and you could put a not to exceed value. Needless to say I won for a little over $350, and was happy as a lark (can’t believe how high the red vista snares are going for, could almost buy 2 black beauty’s lol). But I wish CL had a national or even a statewide search rather than going to city to city.
I'm not familiar with the whole RSS feed thing. I'm not super computer savvy (luckily, my best friend happens to be an IT guy, haha).

Pro tip: If you use searchtempest, you can search every Craigslist at once.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 AM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 586
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
You don't like money?
I don't like f**king people over to make a buck---there are people who need to get a nice kit for a good price, and there are people who want to make a buck by screwing them---big difference!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 AM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,492
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
...there are people who need to get a nice kit for a good price, and there are people who want to make a buck by screwing them---big difference!
Phoenix is loaded with the ladder. I can buy any garbage drums I want for the price of new or a bargain price of double that of new. I see deals in LA and SF, but rarely if ever come across a good deal close by.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:11 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I don't like f**king people over to make a buck---there are people who need to get a nice kit for a good price, and there are people who want to make a buck by screwing them---big difference!
Dude, no one is "getting screwed" in that case. No one NEEDS a nice kit. There are plenty of less expensive drums nowadays that are more than capable of handling whatever you throw at them. Also, you can get plenty of top-tier 80s/90s kits for almost nothing. You WANT a nice kit (who doesn't?). So does the guy that got to it first. You just want them for different reasons. And there's nothing wrong with making a buck. I'm curious to know why you see this as "f-ing people over". If the seller is happy with what he got, and the buyer is happy with what he paid, that's it. No one got screwed.

If you go to any store, of any kind, looking for a specific thing, and they're sold out, do you feel as though the person who bought the last one screwed you over? I'm just not understanding your logic.

Edit: I'm curious... Why do you feel that your want for a nice kit at a low price is more important than the want of money by the guy who flips drums to pay bills (or for whatever reason)?

If it angers you that much when people beat you to the deals, maybe it's time to step up your gear-hunting game. If someone puts in more time/effort into finding deals, why do they not deserve it? They did the work. If you want to come out on top, put in the hours... Like basically everything in life.

Last edited by cutaway79; 10-12-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:45 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,981
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
I guess my intended spirit of this thread is, "what hilarious misspellings have you come across buying used drum gear, and do you use it to try to find deals..."
Not so much a mis-spelling, but I found an Ebay ad, tucked away in some backwater like "Music Equipment, Miscellaneous", that was full of mis-described items. I bought a home theatre receiver, a stereo amp, a Zoom drum machine, a pair of Peavey PA speakers, a Yamaha power mixer plus a bunch of other odds and ends for not very much. I ended up re-listing some of the bits which pretty much covered the total cost and left me with the Peavey speakers, the mixer and the drum machine.

The mixer needed some XLR sockets re-soldered and some other minor TLC, and makes an awesome backup unit for my band...and we use the speakers every weekend.

And I didn't feel even slightly bad about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:57 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Not so much a mis-spelling, but I found an Ebay ad, tucked away in some backwater like "Music Equipment, Miscellaneous", that was full of mis-described items. I bought a home theatre receiver, a stereo amp, a Zoom drum machine, a pair of Peavey PA speakers, a Yamaha power mixer plus a bunch of other odds and ends for not very much. I ended up re-listing some of the bits which pretty much covered the total cost and left me with the Peavey speakers, the mixer and the drum machine.

The mixer needed some XLR sockets re-soldered and some other minor TLC, and makes an awesome backup unit for my band...and we use the speakers every weekend.

And I didn't feel even slightly bad about it.
Nice! No reason to feel bad at all. You scored.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Lol here is Sabina artisan crash on eBay right as we speak
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransan View Post
Lol here is Sabina artisan crash on eBay right as we speak
Nice! I come across a fair amount of "Zilgians". Also, keep an eye out for "Gretch", and "Peral". "Lugwig" is another.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

👍 There is also a vintage Pastie hi hat on eBay as well not sure if it’s a verifiable item. I don’t know much about Paiste.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:52 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I don't like f**king people over to make a buck---there are people who need to get a nice kit for a good price, and there are people who want to make a buck by screwing them---big difference!
You don't have to. If snare X resells for $200, and you find one for $50, buy it and relist for $150. You aren't screwing anyone and have put $50 in your pocket. It's the people who think snare X should sell for $300 you are screwing. That's how you do it.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Here's another trick you can use to search ALL of CL if you are looking for something specific.

Let's say you are looking for a Ludwig snare drum.

First go to Google.

Then, type exactly this in the search box.

Ludwig snare site:craigslist.org

Doing this will search all of CL, not just your area.

You can also do a phrase search. By putting "quotation marks" around it, it will look for the exact phrase "ludwig snare" as opposed to "ludwig" and "snare." So it would look like this:

"Ludwig snare" site:craigslist.org

I use this all of the time with other sites too.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
mesazoo mesazoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 51
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Yes it is a SPOXE. The cymbal on top of the one with tape is a Sabian, and I see a Yamaha pedal also. Go check it out.

EDIT: bottom left also appears to be a partial Tama logo.
Looks more like roto toms upside down.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Here's another trick you can use to search ALL of CL if you are looking for something specific.

Let's say you are looking for a Ludwig snare drum.

First go to Google.

Then, type exactly this in the search box.

Ludwig snare site:craigslist.org

Doing this will search all of CL, not just your area.

You can also do a phrase search. By putting "quotation marks" around it, it will look for the exact phrase "ludwig snare" as opposed to "ludwig" and "snare." So it would look like this:

"Ludwig snare" site:craigslist.org

I use this all of the time with other sites too.

Hope this helps!
Haha, anytime I do drum research on DW or the "other" site I do exactly this... i.e. "craigslist deals site:drummerworld.com"

Anyway,I don't bother looking at other cities' CL because I'm wary as a seller and buyer of non-local, in person dealings...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Thanks Pork Pie - for the information on how to get broader search I honestly didn’t know.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesazoo View Post
Looks more like roto toms upside down.
That's exactly what they are. The frame makes a bell type sound. It was an 80s thing.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 146
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesazoo View Post
Looks more like roto toms upside down.
Yeah, I can see the frame of the 'drum' itself and the threaded pole between the two.
Ah well! I could have gotten some genuine SPOXE! But instead, just imitation spoxe attached to a drum head... (sarcasm)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:40 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: How to trawl craigslist for deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
That's exactly what they are. The frame makes a bell type sound. It was an 80s thing.
The only person I ever saw with those was Terry Bozzio, but then again, he's had about 5 of everything.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com