DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Ludwig 7 ply mahogany/poplar vs 3-ply mahogany with re-rings

Ok, so Ludwig has these two sets available.

Ludwig Club Date (limited run)
7-ply (2 ply mahogany outer, 3 ply poplar middle, 2 ply mahogany inner)
Totally round edges

VS.

Ludwig Legacy
3 ply (Outer mahogany, middle poplar, inner mahogany) with maple re-rings
30į inner-cut roundover bearing edges

The Legacy is about $1k more in price.

What would be the sound difference between these two given they are the same sizes? Would it be pretty minimal or drastic?
Old 10-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ludwig 7 ply mahogany/poplar vs 3-ply mahogany with re-rings

I donít think there would be a great difference In the sound. With heads and tuning you could get them both to sound pretty much the same. The big difference would be in the tuning range. The Club Date would have a narrow tuning range. My round over edge Slingerland kit sounds wonderful. But when I try to tune them higher or lower they choke. The 30 degree Legacy edges should give you a nice warm tone and allow you to tune them higher and lower with no problem. The best tuning range comes from a sharp 45 degree edge. But you get less tone from the wood shells. Just my opinion.

The best thing to do is get a tom from both kits and try tuning them high and low.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I thought most of the old bop kits had full round overs, and those usually sounded good tuned up high.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

in my world the more plies the bigger the difference.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Just one more opinion if I may. If you are going to be playing low volume music in a band or only playing the drums at home, I think you will like the Club Dates. But if you will be playing louder music, you will need the Legacy kit.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Drastic - the 3 ply mahogany will be-warm, deep, resonant. I would pick this kit hands down.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

I'm not for sure but I bet the legacy kit uses thick plys so the shell thickness is probably a lot closer than you think between the 2 kits. It'll resonate a lot more though just because it's less wood and glue, and the sharper edge will give it a little more attack and resonance too. I'm with opentune, I'd pick the legacy

Are you gonna be custom ordering? I love the African mohoganny toms but I'd rather have a maple kick, and it'd be nice if you could get a legacy maple bass in the same finish as the toms. That mahogany bass is almost too warm for me, but it'd work great for an old school bop sound
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I'm not for sure but I bet the legacy kit uses thick plys so the shell thickness is probably a lot closer than you think between the 2 kits. It'll resonate a lot more though just because it's less wood and glue, and the sharper edge will give it a little more attack and resonance too. I'm with opentune, I'd pick the legacy

Are you gonna be custom ordering? I love the African mohoganny toms but I'd rather have a maple kick, and it'd be nice if you could get a legacy maple bass in the same finish as the toms. That mahogany bass is almost too warm for me, but it'd work great for an old school bop sound
I'm 100% with you on the mix and match. Let us keep in mind it might hurt resale if it is at all a concern (I kind of gave up on the idea myself, I say use 'em and toss 'em, but I understand someone having an exit strategy).
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 PM

I feel the Legacy would be more versatile and have a wider tuning range (due to what everyone else already m entionned). There's a reason it's their flagship kit currently.

That said, I don't know where you are located, but before making such a purchase I'd personally drive as long as it takes to get to a place where I can sample both kits. Nothing like playing them for yourself. It's a lot of money to put down based on other people's opinions and Youtube demos.

But I'm lucky that there are some really great drum stores just a few hours from where I live...