DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Default A personal report - UK Drum Show

This was my last ever drum show attending as an exhibitor. It was a moment of pride, but also of crushing sadness. I found it tough - much more so than I thought, & I shed a tear or two in private.

The blow was greatly softened however by everyone I've come to know & respect in the UK drumming community. The level of support, concern, & indeed accolade, was quite overwhelming. The UK independent builders were especially superb in their support, but it was the little passing comments from customers & visitors alike that really touched me.

I had help on setup & breakdown too from friends such as Madge, Dave, Ben, Alex, & Liam - always willing to jump in. Great to meet Alain for the first time too.

Performance highlights for me where Stanton Moore & Richard Spaven, but the entire lineup in this fabulous performance theatre was so strong.

Finally, the support from my long suffering wife has been beyond anything I could ever thought possible in a life partner - truly a remarkable woman.

Here's some shots of parts of the show, mostly taken during setup, & featuring a rare appearance on camera of the incomparable Mrs. Guru.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A personal report - UK Drum Show

Sorry I couldn't make it Andy, overslept after Saturday night's gig.

Don't fell trees at home then go drumming, tis a silly idea :)

Hope you had a fitting send off!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Awww this is touching-ya making me cry man-we love you dude. Lovely pic of your better half, and great pics of all the drum stuff too.
"The level of support, concern, & indeed accolade, was quite overwhelming. The UK independent builders were especially superb in their support, but it was the little passing comments from customers & visitors alike that really touched me." I knew this would happen which (proves I'm a genius-just kidding) demonstrates I know a good man with integrity who does a great job with the highest standards-Kudos my friend you will always be the Guru-ve Meister. I love hearing this makes me have hope for humanity as well enjoy seeing something special happen to someone I know.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Wish I could have been there! This is indeed bittersweet, but I'm also excited for your next chapter.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Is that Stanton at the Guru stand?

Did you sell a lot of drums?

Was it at the same venue that I went in 2013?

What's the deal with the Highwood guy?

Any buyers for the business?

Was there any other segmented construction kits there?

With Guru coming to a close, was there any extra interest this year?

Your drums are the best looking sets there by far. Even out of all of the custom builders. I can't believe Ludwig displayed such lacklustre kits. Like really? That's your best foot forward? I don't think they care anymore, they'd rather rest on their laurels it seems. I'm so sorry I couldn't make your last drum show.

Yvonne looks great. I was very much impressed with her when I met her last year. A very salt of the earth woman. I thought she was so fun to hang with. (this part is for the others) One of her hobbies is to go out in the dark (and it gets REALLY dark there) with her night vision binoculars trying to spot birds of prey, preying. She splits logs with a hydraulic wood splitter. She makes me laugh. And she fawns over Andy in a great way.

You guys make a great couple. And you live in my version of paradise.

You'll take a break from Guru for a year maybe 2, then you'll start up again. That's my prediction.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Is that Stanton at the Guru stand? Yes

Did you sell a lot of drums? Some, but most were already sold

Was it at the same venue that I went in 2013? No, same venue as last year

What's the deal with the Highwood guy? Gareth & I have a great piss taking relationship based on insult

Any buyers for the business? That's a long story, but the short answer is, almost certainly no, mainly due to me

Was there any other segmented construction kits there? No

With Guru coming to a close, was there any extra interest this year? Not really in terms of numbers, but in terms of acquiring remaining instruments - yes. I shipped two industry offers to buy all remaining instruments at full retail price - I politely refused.

I'm so sorry I couldn't make your last drum show. You were there in spirit Larry :)

Yvonne looks great. She makes me laugh. She does, & she does me too :)

You'll take a break from Guru for a year maybe 2, then you'll start up again. That's my prediction.
I think you're likely wrong on that Larry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Wish I could have been there! This is indeed bittersweet, but I'm also excited for your next chapter.
Thanks :) My next chapter is playing drums more than creating them, although I will retain the finishing shop facility. I have a few more months of building to round out the Guru story, then I can use it to create anything I want - but this time, for me, and on my own timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Awww this is touching-ya making me cry
I did get pretty damn emotional at times - more than I thought. This was not my plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Don't fell trees at home then go drumming, tis a silly idea :)!
What have you done?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Nice eye candy all around. Stanton Moore looks super cool in front of a Guru, but who wouldn't? And the item in Stanton's hand ....looks like a pic of you?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

A fitting swan song, and I'm sure the emotions you felt were mirrored in those attending. We're truly watching the end of an era.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Well I got the scoop on our friend Andy. He was Knighted the Guru-ve Meister. Yeah he don't look too happy and in shock-he is so humble he refused so they had to sneak up on em. So it's Sir Andy Guru-ve Meister from now on. He deserves it.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
...and I'm sure the emotions you felt were mirrored in those attending.
And those reading. Great way to bring things to a close. Great to meet your better half virtually. :)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
the item in Stanton's hand ....looks like a pic of you?
You know, it kind of does, but of course, it isn't.

Quote:
A fitting swan song, and I'm sure the emotions you felt were mirrored in those attending. We're truly watching the end of an era.
A lot of visitors were lamenting on the the unscheduled demise of Guru Drums, but it's only the end of an era really for me & a (relatively) small number of customers & supporters. The brand, although strong in some circles, simply hasn't carried the marketing spend to truly transport it globally, nor has it existed long enough to be considered a significant part of the drum history fabric in the same scale as the legacy brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
And those reading. Great way to bring things to a close. Great to meet your better half virtually. :)
My better half certainly earns her "better" title. I was very proud of our last ever display, but also saddened that it looked good - if that makes any sense :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Well I got the scoop on our friend Andy. He was Knighted the Guru-ve Meister.
William + lady arm = weird! Here's the original photo :)
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Dammit Andy took me half a day to find a pic to use for that. Well I still like my version- especially his girly arm and sword.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What have you done?
Involved a crappy chainsaw that got taken back to the shop, a hell of a lot of work with a bow saw, numerous trips to the tip and the easy bit was a ball at a rugby club afterwards.

I woke up at the crack of noon the following morning and quickly realised Sunday was a write off.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We're truly watching the end of an era.
I think so too and frankly, it's heartbreaking. I mean, look at those instruments, the fruits of Andy's passions, ingenuity, commitments to the highest standards possible and powerful work ethic. Yep, if I can make it all about me for just a second, I'm mourning a pretty serious loss over here.

Of course, it's not all about me. Andy, you've mentioned a few times "this wasn't the plan" so I get that you're just coming up with a new plan instead. I'm not sure if this resonates, but I keep thinking of "rites of passage" and how the show might have been a meaningful public and personal way to mark this transition.

So yeah, time to continue on with the business of creating a rich life. I look forward to continue learning from you and hearing about the new life adventures you'll be pursuing. :-)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Jason how's your walnut snare treating you? Do you have any other Guru drums? Details please! My walnut has become my go to lately. Sometimes I think it sounds like Charley Watts tone on my recordings, depending on the room and tuning.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

What a cool picture of Yvonne!

Thanks for a great week-end Andy, that was so cool to finally meet you.
Your Guru drums sound so full and resonant, I loved playing them, and the small black snare is really special!!!

It was a mess at Manchester Airport's security check on Monday morning. Lucky that my flight was a little delayed, otherwise I would have missed it...

Thanks to all the nice people I met on the Guru Drums stand, it's been a real pleasure, and I met other really cool people on other stands as well!

Cheers everybody!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Congratulations on yet another legendary exhibit Andy. Couldn’t take my eyes off of that padauk kit. Wish I had been able to attend.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Thank you to all for your kind words. I'm pleased that those who attended had a great time, & those who couldn't attend have relived my experience vicariously through my thoughts & pictures on this thread.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Jason how's your walnut snare treating you?
Better than I deserve Larry, that's for sure. So good. When can I hear some of your recordings? ;-)
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Guys - without the need to advertise this - only from a position of making sure all here who might be interested are informed - I will publish the list of the last available Guru instruments at 5:00PM UK time tomorrow (Monday 08/10/18). The announcement will be on the Guru Facebook page, & the list of instruments will be on the Guru website shop page. Availability on a first come first served basis.