Are Master Studies I and II worth a buy?

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I know, silly question, but bear with me.

I'm a full-time working drummer, having been playing for 20 years, professionally for about 6. I've been through almost every famous book out there, and plenty of less well known ones. I've even written one myself.

What I'm actually asking is, is there something particular to the Master Studies books that I may not have got elsewhere. I've had Stick Control for years, I've studied Chapin's book, the Chaffee books, the Buddy Rich book, the Wilcoxon books... would Master Studies bring anything to the table that any of the above may not?

Basically, I'm looking for something new for a bit of focus on the pad. I've been doing a lot of other drumming things recently, and neglected the pad work, and fancied something new.

What are your thoughts, and recommendations for working with the material?

Cheers,
J

I can only speak for Master Studies I and it's definitely worth a buy.

It worked really well when I was studying moeller technique in conjunction with the Chapin book but I found learning moeller was more of a hands on process where having a master in the technique watching you and making adjustments made more of a difference.

I found I could apply moeller to Master Studies very easily.

Like all good drumming books it approaches playing from its own unique angle and makes you think about approaching things differently.

It is geared towards pad work. See what you think though the book is inexpensive from Amazon.

I'd say the Master Studies books are a bit different than the others. Everything is written out. Though some of it is what one would call SC variations, or where accents, L or R have their designated pattern, there's more.

If you're a teacher it's certainly a great set of books to have for inspiration when making or finding specific exercises for students.

Unless you've been really clever, there should be a new challenge already on page 1.

Last edited:
It can be used as a basic exercise book.

It starts out with 2 bar long 8th note stickings with accents.

Then the same thing in triplets.

Then combinations

Buzz roll studies.

More combinations.

5, 7 & 9 stroke roll studies.

Dynamic studies.

Single stroke

Rhythm scale

The whole "Stone Killer" thing

more..

Master Studies II is similar.

It's starts with lots of studies using paradiddles and then takes everything a few steps further.

Back