Please Help ME DRUM GOds?

gdot

here is the dilemma...i have decided that i am going to purchase a gretch catalina. i was
originally going to buy the birch series.... but then i find this deal ......http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Catalin...870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb65d3e4e

i wanted this kit prior 2 seeing the other one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRO-GRETSCH...254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10f1d796

but when it comes to the money this also makes sense http://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-AC-E8...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1306727375&sr=1-1

pretty much im asking which kit should i get..... i wanted the birch but i dont really know what the difference is between the birch maple and ash..... also i cannot easily get addons with the birch series.... so does it make sense to get the maple with all that free stuff.....?or get the ash which is cheaper with the free addon....or the birch as is no hardware and no addons......... any advice would help me out alot thanks in advance....

Would this be your first kit? Because if it is, everyone here is going to tell you to buy used.. You get a WAY better deal. There are used drum kits all over craigslist.

I believe only one of those kits even include cymbal stands and hardware, and none of them include cymbals. Since you don't know if drumming is for you yet, buy a used kit on craigslist. It's easy to look at some nice kits and immediately want to buy it; but you have to be smart about it. What if you're not really into drumming? Then you just spent over $1000 on something you won't use. That's my advice.

My first kit was a cheapo Percussion Plus kit with Remo heads, Zildjian ZBT cymbals, TOCA cowbell, Wuhan China, throne and sticks, plus all the cymbal hardware. All for $215. It was a great kit to learn on, totally worth every penny.

The first kit, the blue one is obviously the better deal with 7 drums. It also says make an offer. Bid 800.00 and see if he bites. Amazon would be safer, but with only one kit left and I think the ash is no longer avilable, you may not get it. If you re sure you want all of that go for it. The other birch kit is only 20 dollars less and has 2 less drums and no hrdware, and I don't like the idea of calling it a pro kit however that is nitpicking. Also the Eruo part means it has two rack toms and a 14 inch floor. If you have the cash and know you will stay with it buy the first lit at 800..00 and buy used cymbals. And as was mentioned be sure drumming is for you.

yeah im sure it is for me i have been drummin for about 3 years by ear for a local church...but i decided to take it serious and started gettin lessons i need a kit now..... so im asking for your advice.....i want a nice kit cause im prettty sure i wont be buyin a new 1 anytime soon.... im lured by the 7 peice maple.... with the free hardware....tho.... i orginally just wanted the birch ...... but the cheap price of the ash with the extra tom is quite enticing as well..... what up with the woods.... are they really all that different?

Try to look at some other brands...
Mapex Saturn / Meridian Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom
Pearl (alot of them are pretty cheap, and all right)
- try not to look for DW if you're new.. it doesn't really come cheap..
PDP can be a thought too.. (DW's littlebrother is you like)

That was just some - but there's alot of brands...
If it's you first kit, i would try is much as i can, can forget about brands. Pick what you think sounds good.

Also, 7pc. sets? Ain't a 5pc/4pc all right. That could cut out some money...
You can always buy another tom if you get further into drumming.

what kind of wood should i get the birch maple or ash.....?
Dude, Google the drummer bible, it has a real good explanation of all the different wood shells. Maple is the most popular, but most people can't tell the difference, it's all about head combo and tuning.

I've heard ash kits and they sound a little thin to me.I own birch and maple kits and prefer birch or birch/bubinga shells.,but that is a personal choice,and you may feel differently.You have to listen to the drums at a store to determine what sounds good to you.The difference in wood is sound,and neither one is better than the other.I understand you want shiney new drums,but I think used is a better way to go.It would also help if you had a total budget in mind,that includes cymbals and hardware,possibly cases.Are you in a band and will you gig these drums?

Spending a little less on drums and more on cymbals is a better way to go also.With good drum heads and tuning,you can get good sound out of even entry level drums,but not so with cheap cymbals.If you have a crappy sounding cymbal,there is no way you can make it sound better.A cymbalsmith maybe,but for the most part....you're stuck

Especially with cymbals,used in good condition,can get you pro quality ,for mid level money.

So think it over.Its obvious you have done some research so do a little more.Tama makes some really great sounding drums and hardware for a great price point.But I really would stay with used.You'll get the most bang for the buck.

Steve B

my budget is about 1200-1500 i really dont wann go more than 1100 really and thats everything included lol.... but i will look into used....im just really hooked on the deals tho in terms of the extra pieces with the kits tho..... so im tryin to see if its better to
get a used for 6-700 and brand new for 8-9 with like 7 pieces and hardware its like i dunno..... and i plan on gigin eventually im doing lessons now im hoping by next year this time im good enough....i have a bunch of friends that are doing lessons now for use to get up next year and jam....

Going the "used" way is good but takes work. Can be frustrating too.

I recently purchased a new Catalina Birch set for $569 w/free shipping. Actually found it new for $499 w/shipping but it was on backorder forever and I gave up waiting.

You have some serious Catalina on the brain. Pick one and be happy! ;- )

Back