You and your practice regimen, come clean

I get at least 1 hour a day. I also started later in life, and spend quite a bit of time on rudiments, which I really don't mind doing. I got a double pedal last xmas and an extra ride, which I've put on the left side. Once a week, i'll have what I call opposite day, keeping a rock or shuffle beat going with my left hand and left foot on the kick for 4 bars, do a fill, and play the same beat with the right hand and right kick for 4 bars, fill, and back to the left.

This keeps my brain from turning into a complete puddle of puke.

I get at least 1 hour a day. I also started later in life, and spend quite a bit of time on rudiments, which I really don't mind doing. I got a double pedal last xmas and an extra ride, which I've put on the left side. Once a week, i'll have what I call opposite day, keeping a rock or shuffle beat going with my left hand and left foot on the kick for 4 bars, do a fill, and play the same beat with the right hand and right kick for 4 bars, fill, and back to the left.

This keeps my brain from turning into a complete puddle of puke.

That's a great idea that I want to try.
I my case I am worried trying to do this WILL turn my brain into a puddle of puke -)

It's def no fun practicing on the pad, but the true reality is that it works wonders for your technique so I do 1h a day on it.

Unfortunately, I still haven't managed to find a place in London where I could practice in a real drum kit so no coordination or practice on a real drum for some time now...

"That's a great idea that I want to try.
I my case I am worried trying to do this WILL turn my brain into a puddle of puke -)"

It forces me to work on my weak side, and takes me out of my comfort zone. Many would say I'm wasting my time, that it wont make me a better drummer, and perhaps they're right.
However, I like a good challenge, I wont be touring any time soon and this may keep the dreaded puddle of puke brain at bay !

currently:

20-30 mins on pad/drums - rudiments/patterns. LH and RH trips, LH and RH 16ths --> sfs (so each pattern is a 4-day cycle)

20-30 mins on focus/coordination - currently working from Art Of Bop, started with just 1 limb, then to 2, then 3, then got into the book. Got this from a lesson I had with Bernard Purdie in Nov 2013 (still working on it!)

(20 min break to play piano - learning that now!)

30 mins on playing music! could be different grooves/rhythms, fills, brushes (currently), tuning, accents, etc, etc - using this time to improve on things I don't already do "well".

I work out of Tommy Igoe's Hands for a Lifetime ebook/DVD, concentrating on the Lifetime Warmup. Getting close to mastering the Advanced warmup. I try to play a pad everyday.

When I get on the drumset (about once a week), I usually work on stuff that's for my bands, but if I have nothing of note I'll bust open Groove Essentials.

I make myself do 20 minutes rudiments on the pad daily.
Kit time is about 2 - 3 times per week, maybe 1 hour each. Kit time is playing beats to a metronome, or working rudiments on the kit, or playing along to a fave song. Then there is 3 hr band rehearsal. I wish I could do more.

Levon Helm? ...did not have time to practice, for they toured so much when the Band was active up to 1975. I'm not sure about his later years. I heard Buddy or Bonzo never practiced either, but I would guess Neil Peart does.

Yeah many of these guys really never practiced anymore, like Ginger, Ian Paice...

Ian Paice says when he gets an urge to practice, and I start starring out the window in 5 minutes time, I'm bored, and that's the end of practicing. These guys have been drumming for so long and put in so so much time, that it's probably a real big effort to practice i guess.

I'll never have that problem...

Other than air drumming and the occasional rudimentary practices (once a week, maybe), I'll sit down at my kit once or twice a month. That is, when I'm not in a gigging band...

I feel that I get enough practice on the kit during the week jamming with 4 different bands, but I have two pads at home that I never touch. I should practice on them more though because I do have the time at home. It's not as much fun as practicing on a kit, obviously. I do see its merits. I still want to finish the Hands, Grooves & Fills book. At least the Hands part. Haha. And, I always have the trusty old Stick Control to work on. Always.

Have never practiced & never needed to :)

Most of the past year and a half most of my practice has been learning songs. When I first started playing again 3 years ago I spent most of my practice on basics and rudiments.

Now I tend to spend about 5-10 minutes most practice sessions on the most basic rudiments, single, double, 5 stroke, paradiddles to loosen up the hands.

Occasionally I'll spend 30 minutes on rudiments.

Now that I have a reasonable level of skill (it's all relative) and I only have to add a few new songs to keep the set list fresh, the number of days and hours I practice has dropped. Not counting band rehearsal I play 2-3 days a week about 1-1/2 hours hours each time.

I find it most difficult to practice songs I have been playing for a while. But I try to run through them at least once a month outside of band rehearsal.

Now that I have my little residence room as of this month and can practise on my acoustic kit, my practise time has gone up way more (it helps that I need to justify the cost of the room!). It's sooo much better than practising on my electric!

I try and spend at least a couple of hours a day on average, split between the rudimental stuff my teacher gives me, then on things like odd groupings, linear fills, speed, etc. then on band stuff.

Back