Any punk drummers that anyone likes?

yes topper had some insane grooves. out of all these punk bands very few people have mentioned any of the classics. these would be topper of the clash, marky ramone or tommy ramone of the ramones, billy ficca from television, marc bell from richard hell and the voidoids, scott asheton of iggy and the stooges, and paul cook of the sex pistols. most of the guys think of punk as the extremely fast and angry music look to the roots of punk rock and see what it was all about and see if you change your mind.

I've always been fond of Clash's Topper Headon, but I also enjoy the playing of The Minutemen's George Hurley. His playing isn't your typical punk drumming, in that he has a very funky\jazzy technique which seems to be very rare in punk music. To my knowlege, The Minutemen were one of the most technically proficient punk bands of the 80's.

Another punk drummer I really enjoy is Naked Raygun's original drummer, Jim Colao. He also has somewhat of a jazzy technique, but very powerful and tense, and adds much energy and forward motion to the music.

What about the drummer of Pennywise. I don't listen them a lot anymore, but he's truly amazing. Never how he could stand a whole show playing like he does !

Earl Hudson is one of my biggest influence !! He does have a short solo on the song Coptic Times by the Bad Brains, listening it live on "The Youth Are Getting Restless" album, you realise this guy has a huge amount of control and power !

although he doesnt get a lot of credit, Andrew Hurley from Fall out Boy is a very talented drummer. David Douglas from Relient K is also very good. i think the reaosn why i love punk and thier drummers is because when they play live they always give it their all, and it is obvious that they love music and they love what they are doing. Lane Pederson from the Dillinger Four is also a very fun drummer.

i like the guy from pennywise amazing speed
and also bad relgion of course and if yellowcard counts as a punk rock band
than i like LP his kit is huge and he knows how to use it

drummerstar101 said:
i like the guy from pennywise amazing speed
and also bad relgion of course and if yellowcard counts as a punk rock band
than i like LP his kit is huge and he knows how to use it
LP has in linkin park? thats not punk man. but I do agree that Rob bourdon is a good drumer but his band is not punk.

mellow said:
LP has in linkin park? thats not punk man. but I do agree that Rob bourdon is a good drumer but his band is not punk.

I Think He was refering to LP as Longineu Parsons from yellowcard

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already, but Jordan Burns of Strung Out/ first three Pulley records has to be one of the best punk drummers going. He cites Neil Peart as his biggest influence and you can hear it in a lot of the more recent Strung Out stuff. Check out the drumming through Strung Out's 8 track ep "The Element of Sonic Defiance", particularly the drumming to track 1: "Mission to Mars", the middle of track 2: "Scarecrow", the verses in track 4: "Blew", track 6: "Razorblade" and track 8:"Mephisto" - these songs are all brilliant punk/ metal. Their latest album "Exile in Oblivion" has some awesome drumming on it too, particularly track 10: "Never Speak Again". It's all too easy to say "punk is just about playing fast" - this guy not only plays fast, he embellishes with some awesome fills, some awesome double bass chops, hi hat/ ride tricks... he's just really good. OK fair enough, their album Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues from 1996 is pretty much all about how fast he could go, but everything since has been far more technical... It took me ages to learn to play "Razorblade" all the way through. I love that song. Then there's tracks like "Too Close To See" and "Reason to Believe"... seriously, check them out, he's brilliant.

Besides him all the good ones have been mentioned I think, even the late great Derrick Plourde has seen his name mentioned. He was truly stunning. Wish I could've seen one of the bands he was in.

im a difinite travis barker fan and i kind of like andrew hurley(fall out boy) i dont think hes the best drummer ever but i like his technique

Ilan Rubin, he's in Lostprophets now, but i think he used to play punk.

and still no one mentions Jordan Burns... but Dave Raun is simply amazing, credit where credit's due.

how about the guy from A Wilhelm Scream?

Terraform said:
I've always been fond of Clash's Topper Headon, but I also enjoy the playing of The Minutemen's George Hurley. His playing isn't your typical punk drumming, in that he has a very funky\jazzy technique which seems to be very rare in punk music. To my knowlege, The Minutemen were one of the most technically proficient punk bands of the 80's.

Another punk drummer I really enjoy is Naked Raygun's original drummer, Jim Colao. He also has somewhat of a jazzy technique, but very powerful and tense, and adds much energy and forward motion to the music.

Thank goodness somebody mentioned George Hurley. I personally think he deserves a profile on this site. Ditto for Topper (unless I overlooked him).

The Rev #2 said:
Josh Freese when he plays for the Vandals.
yea
heres a video from theyre dvd live at the house of blues
josh freese is my fav punk drummer
i likke eric from nofx but ive seen videos and he plays pretty stiffly. dont get me wrong, it sounds good, its just difficult to watch. (i got yelled at because i said he pplayed stiffly before)

bad brains guy for sure
GEORGE HURLEY!!? ANYONE? THE MINUTEMEN?!?! i just remembered him. he is soooo good.

i think travis barker is the greatest, but he isnt really a punk drummer because he does so many styles: hip hop, punk, jazz, ect.

The drummer of the clash is also great but another example of someone who doesnt play only punk

Back when i was into punkish music, Ron Welty (ex-offspring) and Darrin Pfeiffer (goldfinger) were one of the reasons why i first started to like drumming. however, I dont listnen to this music anymore, nor to those guy's really influence my playing.

tree cool from green day, i just luv his stage presence, i also like travis barker but he plays a lot of differne stuff besides punk.. the rest i think they are ok ... punk music doesnlt really require a lot.. now those guys that play latin music or world music those guys are great! oh and off course mike portoney and many others lol

Back