New Drum Heads

jdoyle86

Hey I am in the market for new drum heads I recently pulled my drums out and cleaned them off after they have been sitting for a few years and I wanted to get some ideas as to what heads I should go with. The ones that are on it now are evans im not sure on the models but i remember them not sounding very good. I cant remember what i used to use mostly remos but i cant remember the exact models. Anyways I was looking for something for a good rock sound something along the lines of metallica or disturbed type of sound from the toms so any suggestions would be good its just a standard set with a 12 and 13 and 16 toms

There's a heaps of heads and head combinations you can try mate, but Remo Emperor batters over Ambassador resos will give you the sound you're after (the Evans equivalent is G2's over G1's). For the kick I'm partial to running Remo PS3's on both sides. Worth checking out.

I have Remo Weatherking Powerstroke3s for my batter side toms.Love the sound they give my kit.and they are fairly durable

I would recommend you to not get new heads. Instead, take the time to learn how to tune the heads you have now. Albeit their old you should get them to tune up properly.
My advice is to remove all heads hoops and lugs clean your lugs and hoops with soap and water thoroughly. Make sure your hoops are nice and round and sit flat. Then reset your heads on your drums and begin learning how to tune.
There is endless info about tuning on the internet lucky for you.
Final word, don't get caught on which head this? which head that? Unless you learn how to tune you will become trapped in a vicious circle.

P.s can not stress enough, learn how to tune, don't become an evans/remo slave.

If the heads are in good shape, try to tune them before replacing them. Tuning is kinda key because if you don't know what you're doing on that front you'll be buying new heads constantly. If they're beat up, look into a new set. For a somewhat "dead" thump sound, I love the Aquarian Performance II's on the toms and the SuperKick II on the bass. Right now I'm using the Onyx heads on EVERYTHING, which have more tone to them but are seriously beefy and thick.

Back