Backline Drums, What is behind the scene

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Interesting video that shows what goes into the backline kit.
I have always had an idea of what is involved in back-lining drum kits but I never realized the size of the world wide back-line operation.
http://youtu.be/PLGn38nqHHQ

Last edited:
Holy-moly!...that's incredible really. Who knew?

On further reflection, I wonder what sort of financial stuff goes on with companies like that? I mean, does the company actually buy all those drums, (for a bit of a deal no doubt). Or are they consigned? I also wonder what sort of fees they would charge to set up a full backline on the Tonight Show...hmmm

Last edited:
Great video.

This is why on the Dave Letterman clip, he always asked "are these your drums?" because so much of the time, the guy on TV is not playing their actual own kit.

And yes, all those famous touring and studio drummers may always be photographed appearing behind what appears to be the same kit, but sometimes, it's not, it's a supplied replica from a back line company.

And yes, main reason a name drummer wants/has an endorsement is not for the free/discounted stuff, but to be tied into this network of back line suppliers they can have an identical or near identical kit where ever they travel without having to ship their personal kit all over the place.

Awesome video, but are they really storing all those sets with no protection between drums on the stacks? I can't imagine they don't have the budget to even get some cardboard between them. Regardless, very cool, and I liked how they actually were polishing those cymbals- makes sense that all the backliners want their cymbals nice and shiny.

but are they really storing all those sets with no protection between drums on the stacks?

Yet they pull them out, ship them off, tune them up and somehow they all miraculously still sound just fine.

Just goes to show how unnecessarily precious some drummers can be about their gear I reckon. Sometimes I staggered guys manage to hit them at all considering some of the things I read here. ;-)

Awesome video, but are they really storing all those sets with no protection between drums on the stacks? I can't imagine they don't have the budget to even get some cardboard between them.

Not really any point.

Drum heads take an incredible amount of force in terms of pounds per square inch when getting hit by a stick. A drum resting on the head is far less force spread out over a much larger area. In pounds per square inch, it's nothing compared to what it is designed to with stand.

I've had Pinstripes get hoop ruts in them from being stacked for less than 12 hours. The state of the heads installed on kits that get stacked around at Guitar Center is proof enough for me that, especially when you have 4 or more drums in the stack, the constant pressure applied over time is not good at all for the heads. It does seem, though, like the company will put on whatever heads the artist desires, so I imagine those stock heads get put on when the kit comes back.

And I can hit my drums just fine, thank you.

And I can hit my drums just fine, thank you.

You take offense far too easily lad. It wasn't a dig at you by any means.....moreso a general statement of how fearful many are of their kits whilst seemingly oblivious to the fact that we hit the bloody things with a stick to begin with.

You take offense far too easily lad.
My impression also. -- Take this opportunity and work on your mindset - it will help you throughout your life. (Experienced person speaking here ;-)

OT: Interesting video!
I do agree that using some kind of protection wouldn't be a bad idea - IF the stock heads were going to be used. If not (as they would be swapped to the artist's specifications), it wouldn't really matter.

Those are both really good size operations with multiple locations. The industry also runs right down to dealer network support for specific instruments too.

I liked the comment about endorsements. Multiple kits are required for the bigger name artists. For us, that's a significant barrier because the cost is so high :(

Wow! So now you have all seen my regular and summer homes....yeah, I wish.

I do wonder though, they said the artist can just call them up, they get the info about the setup from the manufacturer, and the drummer can just sit down and play when he/she needs to. Does the backline provider have a tech that actually goes and specs the drummers set so everything is correct, like heights, snare and tom angles, etc?

Does the backline provider have a tech that actually goes and specs the drummers set so everything is correct, like heights, snare and tom angles, etc?

Normally the backliners just provide the kit. The drummer's/band's own crew will do the rest of the set up. In cases where multiple bands are using the same backline kit, each drummer or his crew will tweak the set up between each set in order to tailor it to the individual.

I can see how it can be a large expense for a manufacturer who has lets say10 big time endorsed drummers who they supply multiple kits for in locations throughout the world.

When I was stationed in Kuwait I was part of the Army's Public Affairs Detachment (oddly I was in the Navy at the time) and I got to be involved in procuring the backline for all of the acts that came throught the Middle East.

Usually it was very easy. We got a gear rider from the band that we forwarded to a company in Bahrain who really did all the rest of the work. Most bands were easy, and were more than happy to play the gear we got them. But some bands endorsing smaller companies had a tough time. My favorite example was Paramore whose drummer endorsed Truth drums, and we could not get a set to his specs into the country in time for the show. He ended up playing a really nice set of gold sparkle DW's, but he only played one floor tom because he played 16" and 18" floor toms and they couldnt get an 18" floor tom to match. In the end it all worked out, but I heard he wasnt very happy.

I can see how it can be a large expense for a manufacturer who has lets say10 big time endorsed drummers who they supply multiple kits for in locations throughout the world.
A huge expense Bob. We have had a handful of high profile artists interested in what we're doing. Accordingly, we looked into costings, & for a company of our size, it's out of the question.

Many higher profile artists regard global support structure & default publicity exposure as much higher priority considerations than the instruments themselves. It's just business - both ways. Further down the pecking order, a more rounded appraisal is the norm. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

It is upfront. But it can also save money because multiple endorsers end up using the same drum kit over time.

Many higher profile artists regard global support structure & default publicity exposure as much higher priority considerations than the instruments themselves. It's just business - both ways. Further down the pecking order, a more rounded appraisal is the norm. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

This is why you see some names endorsing a small company early in their career, and them jumping to a bigger name when they get bigger gigs. Support on the road, or when traveling to far away recording locations does take precedence.

And many times why someone will switch from brand A to brand B is because when the phone call was made for tour support, someone didn't answer the phone, or return a phone call, or otherwise dropped the ball. And sometimes an endorsement switch is made because the person who does answer the phone switched jobs and the artist followed that person to their new company.

Wow, what a fantastic video! Thanks very much for posting, it's really neat to get this insight into what goes on!

Thanks! I really enjoyed that video and watched several others too. Peace and goodwill.

Back