Snare tuning question

M

Mike_In_KC

All -

Newbie question time....

I don't like the way my snare drum is tuned and want to re-tune it. Should I simply get new heads and start from scratch or can I just use the same heads, taking them off and then re-tuning the existing heads? The heads are not that old - maybe a month, but I dunno if it is a good idea to try to re-tune the same heads once they have already been played a bit.

Thanks in advance -

MM

Hi MM. Its down to personal preference. I find that if you take a head off and there are more than 3 dents in it, its time to replace. Resonant head however you should be fine. Are these stock heads btw or nice evans/remo/aquarian/attack ones?
I think a month is pretty soon to bin new heads, unless you are an insanely heavy hitter. I think you should just keep at it and tune it. What kind of tuning are you after? My preference is to have a very slack resonant head (you can finger tighten it) and almost fully cranked batter. Gives a fantastic sound imo.

Hi MM. Its down to personal preference. I find that if you take a head off and there are more than 3 dents in it, its time to replace. Resonant head however you should be fine. Are these stock heads btw or nice evans/remo/aquarian/attack ones?
I think a month is pretty soon to bin new heads, unless you are an insanely heavy hitter. I think you should just keep at it and tune it. What kind of tuning are you after? My preference is to have a very slack resonant head (you can finger tighten it) and almost fully cranked batter. Gives a fantastic sound imo.

Current config is an Evans G2 coated batter and Remo Ambassador res. Thanks for the tips!

MM

Those are good heads and a month shouldn't have done much to them. Unless you tuned one side wildly uneven, damaging the head, you shouldn't have to replace. Try different tuning combos. reso looser, batter looser, both equal.

I do wonder if maybe you shouldn't try something more sensitive/thin on the reso. An ambassador might be a little thick for a reso head. Try an Evans Hazy 300 or the Remo equivalent. If you're going to buy any new heads, that would be my suggestion.

I still tinker with my snare a lot looking for that perfect sound. Probably won't ever stop

Those are good heads and a month shouldn't have done much to them. Unless you tuned one side wildly uneven, damaging the head, you shouldn't have to replace. Try different tuning combos. reso looser, batter looser, both equal.

I do wonder if maybe you shouldn't try something more sensitive/thin on the reso. An ambassador might be a little thick for a reso head. Try an Evans Hazy 300 or the Remo equivalent. If you're going to buy any new heads, that would be my suggestion.

I still tinker with my snare a lot looking for that perfect sound. Probably won't ever stop

Thanks D - the head combo is a new one, kind of an experimental phase that I imagine will never really end. When I put the heads on I was in a hurry, others were waiting on me, and I did not do it properly. I ended up being lazy and just slapped moon gel on the snare so I could get going. The other day my kid asked what all the blue stuff was on my drum and I felt guilty about it :) Kids love moon gel by the way...

MM

Thanks D - the head combo is a new one, kind of an experimental phase that I imagine will never really end. When I put the heads on I was in a hurry, others were waiting on me, and I did not do it properly. I ended up being lazy and just slapped moon gel on the snare so I could get going. The other day my kid asked what all the blue stuff was on my drum and I felt guilty about it :) Kids love moon gel by the way...

MM

They do love moongel. My daughters always poke at the gel I have on my floor tom. Then they think they should hit it with the stick. Whatever keeps them entertained I guess.

to me there is nothing more soul-sucking than practice with a poorly tuned snare or toms.
starting over and re-tuning is a great exercise, heads off and back on. give yourself some time so its not a rush job and figure out stuff, and try things to learn from.
generally tune reso medium tight to tight. then batter to medium, tuning batter upward to where you want. snares should vibrate freely and not choke.
if you're getting an annoying 'buzz' (no not that kind) thats a sympathetic vibration, and can be avoided by tuning one of the heads up a small turn.
nothing wrong with a dampener.

All -

, but I dunno if it is a good idea to try to re-tune the same heads once they have already been played a bit.

You can constantly retune your heads. I tweak them every time I think they need it. Heads are not a 'set and forget' item. The constant pounding they endure will stretch them and as such they need to be tuned regularly. If they're only a month old and you haven't completely trashed them, they'll be good for quite a while yet. Heads really only need to be changed when they're shot and lifeless. Until such a time, just keep tuning them regularly.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question without wanting to hijack this interesting thread.

I purchases a snare drum as part of a kit with a batter head which is weird....

Guy did tell me what it was but I've mental blocked it....and told me it was a really expensive head.

It's weird....it's actually quite wrinkly (yet still tight). And hits and sounds really awesome. Quite soft to the touch.

Sorry if this is an odd question....not been able to find anything on google to explain what it could be.

Back