Indulge me, I'm feeling happy about my band

Magenta

Platinum Member
A month ago I was looking for another band because we couldn't seem to manage to get together to rehearse, which was immensely frustrating. Now that we have a gig coming up, everybody is making the effort, and we're having more fun than I could ever have imagined.

As well as a beautiful voice, our singer has a quirky side to her and comes up with Ideas on a regular basis. She mentioned a certain Abba song, that she wanted to do with mandolins. Strangely, nobody had anticipated this so our mandolin-playing bassist hadn't brought one, and my initial reaction was "I can't play Abba on drums!" I'd hoped that it would die a death, but when our guitarist started noodling, he gave it a strong tango flavour, and then I had an Idea too ... So now we are having Abba avec castanets, haga! We could hardly play for laffing, because it is rediculous but it seemed to work. No mere cover-band, we!

There are a couple of original songs, one by our singer and the other by our guitarist, that they want to do, too, so I'm really looking forward to laying down my parts for those, although they won't be ready for the gig.

We're having a dress rehearsal in front of family and friends in a couple of weeks, so we'll see then how audiences may react. I suspect we'll be Marmite, but who wants to be all things to all people, eh?

I'd love to hear your version of the ABBA song too. It's great to be a part of original music. Good luck on the gig. :)

Madge, in every band I've been in at some stage I've felt so dissatisfied with how things are going I've wanted to leave. That's relationships. The hard part is knowing whether the issues will resolve or not. As Andy said it's hard to pull together multiple expectations and priorities, especially with people's busy lives.

Messing with covers is great fun, almost as good as playing originals.

Bands are challenging, especially merging different members needs/expectations into a single direction.

You never said a truer word. We seem to have a division of labour that we're all comfortable with: singer has Ideas, guitarist puts flesh on them, and bass player and I either veto or do as we're told.

Abba song?

You had me at 'Abba song'.

However you flavour them will be magnificent.

Aww thanks :)

Dress rehearsal?

You had me at dress!

Might be more of a frock rehearsal ...

she had me at "haga!"

And Mr Madge wonders why I sit at my laptop and laff out loud!

Any chance you can upload a video? It sounds REALLY interesting :)

I will definitely put a video up if either (a) it's reasonably ok or (b) it's knicker-wettingly egregious.

It's great to be a part of original music.

You said something along those lines the other day, and when read it I thought how much I wanted to do that too, so when we were discussing it my heart leapt!

Who hoo.

And afterward, you can have a gin with no Kale.

Hell yes. And absolutely no kale in this house!

Madge, in every band I've been in at some stage I've felt so dissatisfied with how things are going I've wanted to leave. That's relationships. The hard part is knowing whether the issues will resolve or not. As Andy said it's hard to pull together multiple expectations and priorities, especially with people's busy lives.

To be fair, sometimes it has been my fault. I just wish we could synchronise illnesses/crises, rather than having them on a rota basis.

Messing with covers is great fun, almost as good as playing originals.

Tis! And there are a couple of songs that we do that I've never heard, or at least I hadn't until I'd played them, which makes them original to me.

We probably won't be quite as good as that :D

Back