What Haven't You Played Yet but Really Want To?

I was thinking about all the different gear I have played over the years, be it mine or not, and noticed that some brands I haven't gotten to play yet but would really like to. No Yamaha in 23 years. No DW either. I have been near them, but not allowed to play them. Yet I have played a little kids First Act kit at a party. It was a drunken Metallica improvisational jam, it was there, so was I...

I have been dying to play a Sonor kit since I pretty much started. I don't know why, there is just something about them that appeals to me. Honestly, I don't think I have ever been in the same room with anything Sonor. It evades me and I want to beat it with a stick!

Cheese, what has evaded you over the years?

Heaps:

- Never played an acrylic kit......would dearly love to road test a set of clear Vistalites. That also goes for the Keystones.
- Likewise for a Guru kit. So many bloody teasers on this forum that I really feel incomplete for not having had the opportunity as a result.
- I'd love to give some Paiste 602's a once (or twice) over as well......too scared to even hit the bloody things lest I decide I can't do without them. Still haven't got all the 2002's I want yet. Last thing I need is to start a quest for even more pies I don't need. A swag of Zildjians, a set of Giant Beats and 2002's should really be enough for anyone.

They're the most pressing ones, but I could certainly go on and list a few more if I had to.

Late edit: Forgot another big one that has intrigued me since I first saw it. Would love to have a play on Danny Carey's Paiste kit made from old melted down 2002's. The concept is so cool, I'd love to hear it in the flesh.

Last edited:
A full brady kit and some of the exotic cymbals I see online.

When I visit the states I'll probably have a field day in the music stores... The stores here in Australia aren't so great.

Would also love to check out a guru kit.

I recently did a tour of the UK drums shops and played most of the high end kits available, or at least available in the UK. I played....

Craviotto Ash
Sakae Trilogy, Almighty and Celestial
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute and PHX
Sonor Pro-lite
Tama Star Bubinga
Pearl Reference Pure
DW Maple and Maple Mahogany

So the main one that I'd still love to try but it seems is pretty much impossible is a Sonor SQ2 Beech medium, but without coughing up about £6k to buy one I don't see how that's possible. I'd also love to hear a Noble & Cooley kit, but again pretty rare in the UK.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to having a listen to the new Zildjian Kerope's in the flesh too.

I must say I really don't want to play other drum kits.

I mean want to, but I am afraid to. I avoid doing so because I am afraid I might develop a strong desire to own them.
And my pocket book and storage space is limited.
I try and stay out of music and drum stores.

Any body else feel the same way ?

I prefer to simply be happy with what I have and try and make the drums I do own sound their best.

Carnegie Hall? Sounds like a good thing to play.

I would love to play an 80s Tama Bell Brass snare of any sort. A Craviotto kit would be awesome, as would a vintage-weight Sonor maple kit.

In another realm, I'd really like to work on a vintage Neve 80-series console at some point in my life.

Sonor SQ2 I guess and maybe a high end $10,000 Roland kit for $hit$ and Giggl@s

Full set Meinl hi end cymbals??? maybe... and of course as mentioned the Tama bell brass snare

I have yet to play a Ludwig Black Beauty-I had the Pork Pie poor man's version and it sounded good so I can only imagine how much I would like the real thing. As well I would like to check out the Dunnett Titanium Tourbillon and finally I want to check out a 26" bass drum, probably an older, shallower model.
Mostly the Black Beauty as I know it would be the one snare I would ever need.

I have yet to play a Ludwig Black Beauty-I had the Pork Pie poor man's version and it sounded good so I can only imagine how much I would like the real thing. As well I would like to check out the Dunnett Titanium Tourbillon and finally I want to check out a 26" bass drum, probably an older, shallower model.
Mostly the Black Beauty as I know it would be the one snare I would ever need.

I'd like to know more about this. I had a 2007 BB that I adored but grew bored with. Now I've come full circle back to brass and I'm thinking PP pork rub brass. Half the price of a BB but 98% of the tone. Right?

I'd like a bit more time on that Brady kit I saw and tapped years ago. Maybe a Sonor too. Having been feeding my GAS since day one (32 years ago) I've had the fortune to own and play some nice kits. Hanging out at the drum store and eventually working there helped too.

I'd love to get a set of Zildjian K's and compare and contrast with my existing HHX's. Then I'd love to try some of the lessor boutique brands of cymbals not from the 'big 4'.

I see pics of these dark and dirty Bosphorous and other 'turkish' cymbals and I would love to have their sounds in my head.

Items I haven't played but would like to :
Ludwig 100th Anniversary Gold Triumphal snare.
1920's Ludwig Black Beauty
Paiste 602 22" Dark ride
Paiste Sound Creation Dark Heavy Sound Edge hihats
Slingerland wood or brass shell two to one shell snare.
Chanute, Oaklawn or LA Camco kit.
Ludwig Stainless Steel kit.
North Drum set
Rogers wood shell Dynasonic
Gladstone snare drum
Jenkins Martin kit and snare
Premier Signia 75th Anniversary kit ( with the wood hoops).

I wanna play Ringo's Ludwigs, 1963 ish? I want to slosh on his high hats and ride "his" ride whatever it was. (Not too much to ask, is it?) Next, give em up Dave... I wanna play your red sparkled Rogers Kit to a mini set of Bit's and Pieces and Glad All Over. After that I can walk to the light. All is good.

"What's that Mr. Bonham? Why yes, I'd like to try them, but maybe with a lesson or two and promise not to laugh." :)

Back